Strange Energy

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Learner

Strange Energy

Post by Learner » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:23 am

How can I settle myself better? As I put up in my other topic, I recently broke up with my girlfriend and at first, I was a bit emotional but now I'm actually pretty happy, which tells me that was a good decision. However, I'm feeling TOO happy. I'm way excited to be single because making new friends and/or dating new girls is exciting to me. The thing is, I'm kinda going nuts and it's getting in the way of my every day life a bit. I'm guessing this may all be par for the course since we just broke up this week... But I'm feeling all kinds of different things:

1. Excitement when I meet other single attractive girls.

2. Happiness that the breakup actually wasn't that bad and my ex girlfriend and I still get along fine and have even talked a bit since.

3. Realization that this was the best choice and that I don't want to get "back together" with her at this stage.

4. Loneliness at home when my mom isn't home because I'm home alone and now I have no girlfriend to talk to.

5. I've just been extra jittery lately... Not like depressed or anxious, but more like "too excited." It's made me overlook a couple minor details at work and it's damaging my ability to focus. IN fact, I've even been more physically tired at night and not able to sleep as much.

6. This is probably the biggest one - I'm thinking too much. Not bad thoughts, but good thoughts. And in fact, now that I look up, this is the source of some of the other ones. I've been having an extremely hard time stopping my mind from running either thinking about what girls I may want to hang out with and thinking about my ex girlfriend.

7. Last but not least, I seem to be focusing my entire existence on the girlfriend thing all the sudden. In other words, I have other interests... When I was with my girlfriend, I was constantly studying about electricity (I'm going to be an electrician or electrical engineer) and enjoying it. Now, I've lost some interest and I keep focusing on how I want to be with another girl or something, it's weird.

So my question is, do you have any suggestions to just stop my mind in its tracks and get back to my normal calm, everyday life? I don't like this.

magicbutterfly

Re: Strange Energy

Post by magicbutterfly » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:57 am

Accept what is, is, because it is. :D
"As soon as you honor the present moment, all unhappiness and struggle dissolve, and life begins to flow with joy and ease." Ekhart Tolle, The Power of Now

spikyface

Re: Strange Energy

Post by spikyface » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:03 pm

It sounds like your mind has a lot of momentum and energy at the moment, which draws your attention away from the now since you're stuck in your head rather than being in the moment

The mind is like a garden, if left unattended, any and all seeds (thoughts) that drift into it's space will take root and grow
However, in this garden, the only thing plants need to flourish is your attention, they cannot be controlled using force. The harder you try to control your thoughts, the more you just energise them
Conversely, if you simply remind yourself to draw attention back into your body whenever you catch yourself lost in thought, the random distracting thoughts will begin to fade and lose their grip

There will be certain activities that can bring you into the now, for some people it's running through the woods, for some it's through service to others, or meditation, etc.

The main point is to do something you are completely immersed in which leaves no room for random thoughts

If you're interested in meditation then I would suggest trying Adyashanti's true meditation audio book. It explains how to retain that meditative state of no-mind while engaging in everyday life and has a guided meditation session on the 3rd cd, which is handy because it can be very difficult to meditate if the mind has a lot of momentum
http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?fil ... rod_id=437
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within