Tired of ego

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

Tired of ego

Post by fortune » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:03 am

I feel i'm becoming less interested in the motivations of the ego, I've been at work 2nite, i haven't really been in a good mood all night but i've stayed present through it. I usually feel down for some reason around christmas time and i'm just tired of feeling down i don't even care about being in a good mood i don't really know what that means any way. This may sound like i'm depressed not i'm staying present through it's just sometimes you get to that point where the ego just seems in the way but i think this is a good opportunity to take myself more into the now.
There might be a question in there somewhere or maybe some tips so i don't fall back into egoic thinking.

SevenSeconds

Re: Tired of ego

Post by SevenSeconds » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:11 am

Your mind is resisting "feeling down". Accept it, allow it to be. Also accept being tired of it.

Ziendus

Post by Ziendus » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Fortune:
> maybe some tips so i don't fall back into egoic thinking

Is that possible?
What is it, that is "within" thinking?
Are you "within" thinking?
What does a thought contain?
It contains words, language.

There is this idea, this belief that there is a "persona",
a responsible persona, that can be caught in the foliage.
But at the root of this, there is only a misconception.

What is also here, is "Here".
And this Here, the real Root, it enables everything,
lets everything grow and wither away.
This Here is inseparable from all that changes.
And yet it remains immaculate.

When you turn to this "Here",
which you also are,
and this "Here" also gets some attention,
there will be an improvement.
---ooOoo---

bf2

Post by bf2 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:53 pm

fortune wrote:I feel i'm becoming less interested in the motivations of the ego, I've been at work 2nite, i haven't really been in a good mood all night but i've stayed present through it. I usually feel down for some reason around christmas time and i'm just tired of feeling down i don't even care about being in a good mood i don't really know what that means any way. This may sound like i'm depressed not i'm staying present through it's just sometimes you get to that point where the ego just seems in the way but i think this is a good opportunity to take myself more into the now.
There might be a question in there somewhere or maybe some tips so i don't fall back into egoic thinking.
So, what makes you think 'egoic thinking' is bad?

If it is bad why do you think whoever created us made us this way?

If you don't know, why can't you let it be in the faith that there must be a solid reason for us to have egos and egoic thoughts?

Do you ever question why we were not given wings and horns and four legs?

Our creator also gave us intelligence. We have used that to make guns and tanks, amongst other things. Do you want to get rid of intelligence?

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 pm

fortune wrote:I feel i'm becoming less interested in the motivations of the ego, I've been at work 2nite, i haven't really been in a good mood all night but i've stayed present through it. I usually feel down for some reason around christmas time and i'm just tired of feeling down i don't even care about being in a good mood i don't really know what that means any way. This may sound like i'm depressed not i'm staying present through it's just sometimes you get to that point where the ego just seems in the way but i think this is a good opportunity to take myself more into the now.
fortune it sounds like you took an opportunity to observe some negative emotion arising ... and it seems as though you did this free of judgment for the most part, except perhaps for this thought:
fortune wrote:i'm just tired of feeling down
The Holidays can be a challenge for many of us -- some have seemingly too many obligations and lose any sense of inner-space in which to move, others have too few and feel left out of what might appear to be a loving family situation and in turn feel envious or despairing.

Don't resist the resistance. Just let the sadness or ennui or anxiety come. Watch it. It will dissolve.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.