Devotion (Bhakti)?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Robert Cowan

Devotion (Bhakti)?

Post by Robert Cowan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 am

So guys.

Who else has trouble with meditation?

I don't mean that you are unable to perform the exercises and such, but that it's hard for you to make an emotional connection with your practice? I'm one of those guys. In my previous faith, and in all my spiritual seeking for that matter, Bhakti, or devotion, has really seemed to destroy spiritual barriers around my life.

For those of you more well versed in Eckhart's writings, does he ever talk about devotion as a means for awakening?

Thanks for your ideas.

hanss

Re: Devotion (Bhakti)?

Post by hanss » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi. I have no trouble with meditation in that way. In my opinion, we forget this in this forum. It is very much how do I get this or that, solve this or that. Understanding. Figure it out. But I think non-duality in general is more the "the path of intellectual understanding" more than others? In my own experience, without surrender to "something" bigger, suffering come as ordered. The primary thing is that Little Me must understand that he is not running the show. If one surrenders to God, Universe, what is, the guardian angel, the moment, some old symbol, I think does not matter that much.
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:02 pm

My one concern with the path of devotion is its possibility of separating the devotee from that 'object' of devotion. What is that devotion to? If we are truly expressions of Source, of God, of Universal consciousness, what is the context of devotion? It could be to separate if seen as devotion to something that you are inherently not.

Recognition of our eternal nature, that we are Source energy expressed in/as being human, gives rise to the appreciation of our own fundamental nature. Love of self is an important expression of love of Source. If this is the devotion you refer to, then it can be quite expansive and enlightening. If it brings you a sense of joy in life and alignment with love energy, then continue with enthusiasm. What matters is how it effects your sense of being. Is it expansive or regressive? Only you know the answer to this for you.

WW

Robert Cowan

Post by Robert Cowan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:16 pm

Thank you Webwanderer and hanss for your responses.

I'll meditate on them and think about what you said. :)

guptaabhi

Post by guptaabhi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Webwanderer wrote:My one concern with the path of devotion is its possibility of separating the devotee from that 'object' of devotion. What is that devotion to? If we are truly expressions of Source, of God, of Universal consciousness, what is the context of devotion? It could be to separate if seen as devotion to something that you are inherently not.

Recognition of our eternal nature, that we are Source energy expressed in/as being human, gives rise to the appreciation of our own fundamental nature. Love of self is an important expression of love of Source. If this is the devotion you refer to, then it can be quite expansive and enlightening. If it brings you a sense of joy in life and alignment with love energy, then continue with enthusiasm. What matters is how it effects your sense of being. Is it expansive or regressive? Only you know the answer to this for you.

WW
I would like to contribute to your answer, I would love to hear your opinion on this.

Bhakti Yoga as a path starts with the path of devotion towards an object; an object you hold very dearly. However, here's the catch, bhakti yoga requires you to go beyond this point of devotion towards that object onto enlightenment. Here's an example to illustrate that. Meera, probably the most beautiful example of bhakti, was in love with Her Krishna. She was so deeply in love, that she actually lost her own sense of self; not going below the level of thought; but she realiased that her love, the Krishna, is the one, the only one, prevalent in everything and everybody including "herself". So by path of bhakti, one dissolves his/her own artificial self into his/her object of self realising that his/her love is all there is. This is no different from realizing the oneness of consciousness.

By power of now, if one enlightens and fall in love; path of bhakti starts off by love itself leading to enlightenment.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I have no problem with whatever path one chooses. Whatever we do in this life contributes in some way to the expansion of Consciousness in a greater sense. It may be through the mistakes we make, or it may be in the simple acts of kindness we offer. Every experience we contribute to is grist for the mill of greater understanding and expansion. The human experience is an evolutionary exploration of consciousness and being. Let us engage it with appreciation and optimism in whatever our interests may be.

WW

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Robert Cowan wrote: Who else has trouble with meditation?

I don't mean that you are unable to perform the exercises and such, but that it's hard for you to make an emotional connection with your practice? I'm one of those guys. In my previous faith, and in all my spiritual seeking for that matter, Bhakti, or devotion, has really seemed to destroy spiritual barriers around my life..
My comments on this will probably not be helpful, as I am not in favor in any approach which requires practice or holding onto particular beliefs. I'm not saying it can't work for others; it doesn't resonate with me so I haven't explored any of it.

But what you say about emotional connection is interesting. I think this can be very important. I see the process of awakening as a process of recovery--recovering from our delusions about fear and separation. And recovery can be difficult and confusing. And so, I think it is important to love the process.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:30 pm

karmarider wrote:I see the process of awakening as a process of recovery--
Nice. :-)

Really nice ... because it says we've already got IT, but just lost touch with it because of a kind of illness (divisive thought).
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...