Spiritual bypassing & cognitive therapy

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Ego Waffles

Spiritual bypassing & cognitive therapy

Post by Ego Waffles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 am

Hello, I like Tolle's work and I've been open to it off and on for a few years now, and in recent months have put more emphasis on applying it to my life. I am going through a lonely time right now, and there is a lot of pain. I have always wanted to seriously to pyschotherapy, but have not yet had the money to make it happen. Sure it is great to be in the moment and be at peace, but seems there is a lot of pain in me and fears that keep me from expressing who I am...lots of general relationship issues. I feel like I don't know how to have healthy boundaries, and can't seem to socialize comfortably....I had a rather unpleasant upbringing in my family; my dad was a very emotionally disturbed man and was never able to share experiences with me. Somehow I feel the wounds I have are left unresolved in me. Maybe therapy would help? ...and maybe minimizing them as "ego" and "letting it go" as Tolle would say is not good?

hanss

Re: Spiritual bypassing & cognitive therapy

Post by hanss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:37 am

"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

Ego Waffles

Re: Spiritual bypassing & cognitive therapy

Post by Ego Waffles » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 am

I've realized I've been misusing Tolle's message to avoid feeling pain. Of course that is not his message,that is my own self deception..I have confused 'being in the now' with 'feeling is irrelevant/not me/ego, avoid it.' I am not my feelings, but I should accept all of my feelings, and not judge any of them. To take it a further step, I think it is useful to try to connect the dots between my feelings now and past experiences. However, ultimately 'now' is all there is.

I'm also interested in the differences between psychology's 'ego' and spritual 'ego'. In psychology, the ego is diplomat for the id and super-ego....seems and ego has to be there. And perhaps the value of psychology is to develop that ego beyond immature stages where trauma happened.