An enlightened person

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Sighclone

Re: An enlightened person

Post by Sighclone » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 am

damc -

Eckhart said once "You are the present moment."

That stopped me cold. It meant that I was not a person. It meant that I could not any longer identify with my mind...I could acknowledge my mind, use my mind, listen to my mind, observe the workings of my mind...but I could not be my mind or anything it could cobble together.

His phrase simply meant that I was awareness. It also meant that there was a whole bunch of this awareness with lots of little "points" of it walking around thinking and talking like they were separate selves...but really, they were all contained in and living as the gigantic ocean of awareness. Not people. Real hard for the mind to swallow...good minds will choke on this. Awareness remains unphased. Awakening means experiencing yourself as pure awareness, loving it and rejoicing in the grace that allows it. And still...even then, fully enjoying chocolate ice cream.

Oh yes...there are no enlightened persons, never have been. Not even Buddha. Enlightenment is the end of "person-hood" as an identity. There is still a body-mind-personality paying rent and eating, etc. But what recognizes that person, and the superficiality of it is an immense but gentle home of pure awareness. If you sense there is anything left of you, you know it lives there in stillness and peace. The shift is non-mental; it is a gift...it is a fall into grace.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

damc

Post by damc » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Thank you. :D

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:31 pm

I keep a file of links to posts that I like to reference when the same questions come up over and over again (... as if you hadn't noticed... :mrgreen: :lol:)

I'm filing this one with the comment: "kiki gives about as good an explanation of the paradox of the enlightened individual as one could possibly offer".

"Thanks kiki" is like a poor little shadow of the gratitude I feel from what I take from your contribution here man.
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm filing this one with the comment: "kiki gives about as good an explanation of the paradox of the enlightened individual as one could possibly offer".

"Thanks kiki" is like a poor little shadow of the gratitude I feel from what I take from your contribution here man.
Thank you! :D
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

damc

Post by damc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm

How to reach enlightenment?

Is there any step-by-step tutorial in the net or some book (written by someone who achieved it)? If not, why? Why enlightenment isn't such a thing that you can write a tutorial about how to reach it?

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:01 am

damc wrote:Why enlightenment isn't such a thing that you can write a tutorial about how to reach it?
What a great question!

I don't have the answer. Which maybe I why I very happily gave up the quest to be enlightened or spiritual or whatever.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 am

damc wrote:How to reach enlightenment?

Is there any step-by-step tutorial in the net or some book (written by someone who achieved it)? If not, why? Why enlightenment isn't such a thing that you can write a tutorial about how to reach it?
Every spiritual text ever written is this. Read one. Tryi the "Ashtavaktra Gita". Or "I am that".
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 pm

How to reach enlightenment?

That's a perfectly good question.
Try James Swartz' book titled: "How to attain Enlightenment: The vision of non-duality". Its a tutorial on advaita whose goal is to get you to self-realization.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Attain-Enligh ... 1591810949

arel

Post by arel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Enlightenment is a big word isn't it? The joke is that it is not a big deal, even if it's very consequential.

One wise man's instruction was to keep trying to get clear on experiencing the answer to the question "who am I". He even said that is is all you need. I tend to agree with him. Pointers to the answers to this question is what gives rise to most spiritual teachings. Some point to say "you are the present moment", or "you are awareness of anything perceived", etc etc etc.

But your experience, your own simple inquiry into your present experience in answering the question "who am I" is the best tutorial you can get in my opinion...
What I say is only my viewpoint.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Why enlightenment isn't such a thing that you can write a tutorial about how to reach it?
Because it is less of a thing obtained and more of a noticing of what is.

Consider this exchange from "I Am That".

Questioner: "Well, you told me that I am the Supreme Reality. I believe you. What next is there for me to do?"
Nisargadatta: "I told you already. Discover all that you are not. Body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, time, space, being and not-being, this or that -- nothing concrete or abstract you can point out to is you. A mere verbal statement will not do -- you may repeat a formula endlessly without any result whatsoever. You must watch yourself continuously -- particularly your mind -- moment by moment, missing nothing. This witnessing is essential for the separation of the self from the not-self."
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho