To whom should I turn in my hour of need?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: To whom should I turn in my hour of need?

Postby Tara » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 am

Rick wrote:Some common themes I discovered: Many stumbled into this situation seemingly by accident rather than design i.e. alcohol and/or drug use, often the first time they got high. One lady I read about came to this condition after having chemo-therapy for cancer. Trauma and abuse is cited as well as a cause of onset. In some cases it comes on spontaneously for no apparent reason. Many times it starts in adolescence or as a teen. Still others speak of onset being spontaneous But alcohol and drug use seem to be the most prevalent stated cause for bringing on the condition, at least in what I found in the books, blogs and DP forums I've read. Story after story speaks of drug use, often first time drug use, as being a cause. http://www.depersonalization.info/stories.html

My heart is beating a little faster after reading your post. I am well into my 40's but when I was 14 I had my first experience with what I thought was pot. One minute I was sitting on a couch in a basement smoking it and the next trying to "wake" myself up. What ever it did to me I freaked out and I think I fought the feeling. Thinking back now I can "imagine" the feelings and do see I was like one with everything...maybe if I had just relaxed I might have enjoyed it..lol. But it was a overwhelming, scary,crazy ride that "seemed" to not leave me for a long time. I say this because I could make the motion or sensations of what I felt at the time happen again and again over the next few years. I still think I can to this day. But what struck me in your post is that I felt and still do sometimes that I went into a dream and could not wake up. I often thought I had died and went into a alternate universe or something. I also fought going to sleep every night. I "suffered" for years. This all lead to more of I don't fit in, I am not normal, what is wrong with me, etc.
Tara

Postby Midnight » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:44 am

goldieflower wrote:...

Hi goldie, for some reason I can't see your posts and also the last PM you sent me didn't seem to come through / I couldn't open it; just thought I should let you know.

I also once had a similar experience smoking weed when I was about 15 or 16, the whole world went sepia coloured and I had to splash water on my face to stop myself from having a panic attack.

The types of feelings I describe now are kind of opposite to that, in the sense that I feel empty only, yet somewhere in the background there is that fear of going insane. It could be the mind produces feelings of depersonalization as a defense mechanism against that, who knows.
Midnight

Postby goldieflower » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:51 pm

I can't see your posts

I'm pretty familiar with the delete and edit buttons. :)

The counselor's hat was being worn and then I took it off.

goldie probably needs more help than MN, yet her first knee-jerk is to try to help. :D
goldieflower

Postby Midnight » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 am

goldieflower wrote:
I can't see your posts

I'm pretty familiar with the delete and edit buttons. :)

The counselor's hat was being worn and then I took it off.

goldie probably needs more help than MN, yet her first knee-jerk is to try to help. :D

That's very sweet of you :)
Midnight

Postby tikey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 am

Midnight wrote:
I’ve not come from a cult forum or anything as you well know, because you know I’ve been posting about this stuff for ages, but seriously – have we all been sold a lie? Who can honestly say – HONESTLY, that Eckhart’s teachings have benefited your life? Have you discovered who you are? If so, how does that feel – and why don’t I feel it?

To whom should I turn in your opinion?

Well. I try to answear. You are very challenging. I didnt hate your post, I found it challenging and even interesting. I love your point of view and even the fact that you doubt. Its very cool it shows you have your own mind and thats great. Really, I think what you learned on this teaching is exactly this: be yourself and dont try to not be yourself. LOL. because I understand that you tried not to be yourself in order to be yourself or something like that.

I will eagarly answer your question. I am the one you are looking for. I benefited form ET teachings grossly. Like.. from here to mars. Like.. winning on a lotery. Here is why: I now see the truth. I make no mistakes. I walk the path of Now. Its a straigh line.

Now. Once you discover the path you walk it. You dont have to give away your emotions and personality. Its awfull. You are completely right that its terrible and wrong to get rid of the things that build you: your emotions. your feelings. they are YOU. they are what flows through you. In this moment you might be calm. The next... irritaded. The next.... blissfull. Or other. Yes - THIS IS LIFE. As Eckhart says : emotions, thoughts, and sense perceptions.

To me it was also confusing: who am I? Not my emotions. not my feelings... so.. whre, who? I was lost. You are neither of this things. Its like to say to the accumulator : you are the electricity. No, acumulator is not electricity, and electricity flows thorugh him! And for accumulator to be accumulator, you dont need to stop the flow of electicity. Actually acumulator would stop working if you did that! So no, you are not the emotions and feeling and thoughts. Its like electricity. You are the acumulator. As simple as that. You are it.

Happy? Now. If you need any answers just ask me. To day I was thinking a lot about life and I have some interesting thoughts I might share, who knows maybe they would be for you a good read.

To whom you should go to ask for advice? Its a difficult question. So many young people want answears. So many people want to know whats right/wrong, whats good/bad. What it means to be happy. Who is god. Life is full of mystries and you might not find your answears EVER. You understand this? You might never find answears to your questions. Life teaches you that you dont have to look for those answears to be tha ccumulator. To be yourself. Dont stop the flow of electricity. Dont stop to be yourself. Your feelings make you rich. Actually feelings guide you. Dont they? Dont they tell you if you like someone? Dont they tell you if you like a piece of music? Arent they your help? Your wisdom? Isnt it feelings who make you who you are? Yes they do. Dont search for yourself.

Eckhart teachings make sense for people who have FAKE feelings, who have FAKE thought and who have FAKE selves. Thats very common on this planet, because humans are not awakened and they suffer.

Now. You can ask yourself a simple question. What makes me suffer. And then: Do I see the situation correctly? Am I "right" about what I do.

Once you see the truth, you wont suffer. I mean you can still slip from time to time, but thats not what I speak of. You stop to suffer, when you see things clealrly. Illusions are the source of suffering, because they make you do wrong choices. Illusions take away your happiness.

Be carefull. ask yourself : is what I see the truth?

PS. by acumulator I mean the battery in the car.
Im just a cloudless sky :)
tikey

Postby Natalia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Patrick,
in my opinion you should forget (for a while) all you know about enlightenment, no-self and depersonalization as well. Just start being honest with yourself.

Would you believe me if I tell you that the essence of who you really are is loved by God unconditionally? :) That you are not threatened by ANYTHING, even not by emptyness or whatever you wanna call it?

You should watch this great teacher: Alan Miller. I have already started a topic about him. In this particular link is the video abou so called self-deception:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4PfyRXzlg .

So please watch it and then let us know if that helped :)
Natalia

Postby Midnight » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Natalia wrote:Hi Patrick,
in my opinion you should forget (for a while) all you know about enlightenment, no-self and depersonalization as well. Just start being honest with yourself.

Would you believe me if I tell you that the essence of who you really are is loved by God unconditionally? :) That you are not threatened by ANYTHING, even not by emptyness or whatever you wanna call it?

You should watch this great teacher: Alan Miller. I have already started a topic about him. In this particular link is the video abou so called self-deception:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi4PfyRXzlg .

So please watch it and then let us know if that helped :)

Thanks for the link Natalia,

I'm trying to take it seriously but when he starts talking about the 'spirit world' alarm bells went off to be honest. (Still watching though) :)
Midnight

Postby phleppen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:28 am

I would just move on from the teachings. Quit this forum and live your life. Forget anything that you've learned and just feel. Follow your desires and take some risks. Throw yourself into the fire and call an old friend. Listen to some music. Take a nice shower.
phleppen

Postby Midnight » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:26 am

phleppen wrote:I would just move on from the teachings. Quit this forum and live your life. Forget anything that you've learned and just feel. Follow your desires and take some risks. Throw yourself into the fire and call an old friend. Listen to some music. Take a nice shower.

Well, I'm still living life, except I've become more reclusive. I still do all the things I once did.

What I'm experiencing is a blank mind that feels 'peaceful', I guess you could say; yet paradoxically in my body there's a sense of constant fear and tension, sadness and other things. I feel wounded and vulnerable. The thought train has stopped running, yet the fears and insecurities that once plagued me are still alive and kicking, magnified infact... what a strange conundrum.

Yet there is something else, I'm sure it was presence. It was experienced, it was beautiful, everything was radiant and alive. That was where I should've gone, hehe.
Midnight

Postby ashley72 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 am

Midnight wrote:What I'm experiencing is a blank mind that feels 'peaceful', I guess you could say; yet paradoxically in my body there's a sense of constant fear and tension, sadness and other things. I feel wounded and vulnerable. The thought train has stopped running, yet the fears and insecurities that once plagued me are still alive and kicking, magnified infact... what a strange conundrum.

Midnight,

Can you explain to everyone how you "label" or "describe" feelings in your body as "fear", "tension" & "sadness" without the mechanism of thought? Maybe, what you call paradoxical is actually mental delusion. :wink:

Check out MC2 Method you could benefit greatly from his course. Its basically a course in accepting ALL "feelings" & "emotions" that arise without avoidance... minus the spiritual jargon.
ashley72

Postby ashley72 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:28 am

Midnight wrote:in my body there's a sense of constant fear and tension, sadness and other things. I feel wounded and vulnerable.

Fear, tension, sadness, wounded & vulnerability... are all intellectual concepts which belong to the realm of thought, and as such they are relative. By the very act of focusing our attention on any one concept we create its opposite.

Dual Pairs

Fear - Courage,
tension - Calm,
Sadness - Happiness
Wounded - Healed
Vulnerable - Invincible

Therefore when you label your body sensations as tense, fearful, sad.... you're merely creating a half-truth. Which is one-side of the same Reality. Extreme parts of a single whole.

By turning around any half-truth with a counter-half-truth.... we can disable its effect.
ashley72

Postby Midnight » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:20 am

ashley72 wrote:
Midnight wrote:in my body there's a sense of constant fear and tension, sadness and other things. I feel wounded and vulnerable.

Fear, tension, sadness, wounded & vulnerability... are all intellectual concepts which belong to the realm of thought, and as such they are relative. By the very act of focusing our attention on any one concept we create its opposite.

Dual Pairs

Fear - Courage,
tension - Calm,
Sadness - Happiness
Wounded - Healed
Vulnerable - Invincible

Therefore when you label your body sensations as tense, fearful, sad.... you're merely creating a half-truth. Which is one-side of the same Reality. Extreme parts of a single whole.

By turning around any half-truth with a counter-half-truth.... we can disable its effect.

Right... yeah.... I don't really follow what the hell your talking about half the time man... no offense.

I have thoughts, but the constant stream in my head that most people take for granted has stopped, that's what I was trying to describe.

I'm just trying to describe what I'm feeling. What your coming back with seems to be in the realm of neo-advaita, which I am really not into anymore.
Midnight

Postby ashley72 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

Midnight wrote:I'm just trying to describe what I'm feeling. What your coming back with seems to be in the realm of neo-advaita, which I am really not into anymore.

What I'm describing is not specifically in the realm of neo-advaita, its basic cognition and psychology..... which is merely looking at the way in which the brain "conceptualizes" & processes information.

Midnight, you keep getting tricked into into believing that you're about to look so unreasonably nervous or fearful around people that you will be completely humiliated and be cast aside by the community. This is reinforced by habitually identifying with "nervous" or "fearful" body sensations. What you're not realising.... is by innocently labelling any arising body-sensations as "nervous" or "fearful" keeps you stuck in a vicious-cycle of fear. The only way to break-free is to take a "fresh look" again, without using emotive descriptions like in the past. These new descriptions need to be objective adjectives...the search for objectivity places an observer outside the system he attempts to describe. This is really important if you want to break the cycle of fear.

Objective adjectives are description like "tingly", "smooth", "dense", "throbbing", sensations etc. Avoid using descriptions like "sad", "stressful", "fearful", "nervous" feelings. As these emotive descriptions are conditioned towards avoidance behaviours. What you need to do is get used to running the full-gamut of body sensations without avoidance. :D If you want to explore this more check out the MC2 Method.
ashley72

Postby tod » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Midnight wrote:I have thoughts, but the constant stream in my head that most people take for granted has stopped, that's what I was trying to describe.

I'm just trying to describe what I'm feeling. What your coming back with seems to be in the realm of neo-advaita, which I am really not into anymore.

Thanks for the updates here Midnight. Do you really have thoughts and feelings? Here the I thought arises at times and claims to have had a thought, a feeling; but then it is seen that that thought (of I) is just another thought that arises from time to time.

Best wishes.
tod

Postby Sighclone » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:19 am

Midnight -

I just finished "I Am" by Jean Klein -- he addresses exactly your problem (which he labels "the blank state") on pp. 77-79. He acknowledges that it is a serious condition. He has suggestions around it. Buy the book.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

PreviousNext

Return to Questions