unconsciousness

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
rideforever

Re: unconsciousness

Post by rideforever » Fri May 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Kutso wrote:I invite you to please find the border between "I" and phenomena
How can you invite me if there is no separation ?

Existence is separation.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Fri May 25, 2012 7:51 pm

arel wrote:It looks like we can refer to "I" or "you" (our identity) in these three "deepening" ways - "I am a body/mind", "I am a witnessing consciousness/ attention of all that happens", "I am the present moment that never dies and is never born". To me noticing experientially the truth of the 2nd statement reveals the mistake of 1st and insight of 3rd. Pretty cool.
Realization happens in stages. First one believes oneself to be the body/mind. Then one sees that one is the witness of all phenomena. And finally, one sees that there is no border, no separation, between the witness and phenomena. That there is only this, as you say "present moment". I don't really like the phrase "present moment" though, as it somehow implies time.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm

rideforever wrote:How can you invite me if there is no separation ?

Existence is separation.
Instead of answering my question with a question, maybe you can instead answer what I asked. I asked, do you find a border between "You" and phenomena? What is it? What is it made of? How does it look, feel, smell, taste? Is it a sound?

johahr

Post by johahr » Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Kutso wrote:
johahr wrote:How is this an argument against ME being born again every morning? Lets imagine such reference, my heartbeats would work nicely for reference?
If you refer to ME as the thinking mind and the body, then sure, you are being born again every morning. But my argument clearly shows that you are not the mind and the body. You are the constant to which the mind and body appears and disappears. You are the constant to which the heartbeats appear and disappear.
And why isn't my heartbeats the reference to awareness that appear and disappear?

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 am

johahr wrote:And why isn't my heartbeats the reference to awareness that appear and disappear?
I'm not sure I follow you now. Please elaborate.