meds or no meds

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
muthu

meds or no meds

Post by muthu » Wed May 23, 2012 6:28 pm

I have been depressed for a very longtime. I have been on meds for 12 yrs now. In march of this year weaned myself completely off of meds. But unfortunately had to restart it on May 17th. My question is a spiritual one. How does spirituality fit with meds. If I recall Eckhart said on the oprah show that people on meds will not experience the inner stillness. I am not sure if that is what he meant. I have this inner turmoil in me, but, The Power of Now has helped me correct alot of my behaviours. Any thought on this.

Moderator moved this topic.

karmarider

Re: meds or no meds

Post by karmarider » Thu May 24, 2012 9:53 am

There is no conflict. Take your meds if they help you.

Depression and anxiety are in the past for me now, but I had long years of both. I took medication and it did not get in the way.

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu May 24, 2012 10:46 am

Wow...
I still have some mild depression or anxiety, but since I started posting on this forum I realized many things and I have hope that I'll be "cured" maybe even soon! :)
But my "dark times" lasted for a long long time and I felt like the prospect of "cure" was just a distant dream, now those dark days seem like a distant dream...

Took some meds on and off sometimes, but they didn't have any significal positive or negative effects. Take the meds if you feel you need to, but they are only symptom relief.
What you need to do is observe this "inner turmoil", find out what it is. It can be understood, it can be made simple, you just need to practice awareness, observe yourself like from the outside... And have lots of patience and hope.
"If you're so smart, how come you're working at a gas station?"
-"It's a service station. We offer service, there is no higher purpose."
8)

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Thu May 24, 2012 12:50 pm

You did well to come off the drugs.

There are many safe places you can go to. Maybe for 6 months. Maybe for 6 years. Just drop everything and go. And when you are better you can decide what else to do.

The safe places that I know of are : spiritual centres, ashrams, monasteries, communes (http://directory.ic.org/) .
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm

muthu wrote:I have been depressed for a very longtime. I have been on meds for 12 yrs now. In march of this year weaned myself completely off of meds. But unfortunately had to restart it on May 17th. My question is a spiritual one. How does spirituality fit with meds. If I recall Eckhart said on the oprah show that people on meds will not experience the inner stillness. I am not sure if that is what he meant. I have this inner turmoil in me, but, The Power of Now has helped me correct alot of my behaviours. Any thought on this.
Hey, I just remembered... wanna try something that could help you, maybe even pretty quickly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9btHbHcZE0
This video is so good that it might even do it!

It's a speech by Anthony de Mello where he explains how we create our own unhappiness and upset, and how to snap out of it (he says it can be figured out in 5 minutes, or 5 days, or 5 years... :D )
But this is the most brilliant speech I've seen, this guy explains it so directly and powerfully that he may be able to short-circuit the process and make you "see it" right now. There are audio and transcript versions around but the video recording is the most powerful in my opinion...
I'd recommend anyone to see it all (yes all 3h 41m) and for many times if needed. If you're depressed and you feel impatient just skip and play from 58th minute.
Now go see if it works :)
"If you're so smart, how come you're working at a gas station?"
-"It's a service station. We offer service, there is no higher purpose."
8)

muthu

Post by muthu » Thu May 24, 2012 11:44 pm

thanks golf, and to Karminder too. Its been a week since I restarted it and I feel numb already. But I am trying to stay as present as I am. SSRi's make me Manic, so this time around I have to be very careful and watch for any signs of my awakening pain body even though I feel numb. This afternoon I felt a surge of energy and I tried to be present and it passed. Thankyou again.