Writing in an Internet Forum

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Writing in an Internet Forum

Postby barbarasher » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:32 am

OK, maybe I am new/ignorant/innocent in this area but here goes. You all sound so experienced.

So we are all writing here. I have been doing it quite regularly. I feel a need to do it and am getting benefit.

I really enjoy talking to like-minded people.

I really appreciate and use the advice and opinions that I get.

Not that I have any big secrets, but how much do you talk about yourself in these kind of forums?

Or how much do you talk about yourself in an Eckhart Tolle forum?

How does it go?

I wonder whether sometimes my ego is writing to you all. Because I am always first reading your messages to see how you reacted to me and then I read the content a few times.

I am not nervous about exposure, but about being accepting/doing the right thing or having my soul tread on.

Yes, I am pushing it, but I so want to employ/adapt/live these teachings, so I ask…
barbarasher

Postby heidi » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:13 pm

Hi Barbara - It's funny that you should say that, about checking in to see the responses and feeling as though it's ego stuff. I do the same thing sometimes, and once again, I think we can agree that some of it is ego stuff, but in the long run whether ego driven (partially) or diven by the desire to help others and help ourselves; it's all good. :)

As far as sharing intimate details; how much you share is a matter of personal preference. Some people like to be very anonymous, and then there's me who's been plastered all over the internet with abandon for years. When we started the forum, it was because I got kicked out of another tolle forum for talking about how valuable the Power of Now and Tolle's teaching were in helping me stay present with my worries and deal with the disappointment of the US election. :(

I am a big advocate of free speech. I think recently Eric saw the need for a General topic area, so that if there was something that may have been spiritual or not necessarily Tolle related, we are welcome to post it there.
What truly brings us all together here is an awareness, a growing consciousness that we can share with examples of our inner and outer lives, both the head-scratching ways of the ego, and the joyousness of being in the now.

Thanks so much!
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby barbarasher » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:27 am

Yes, I do see my ego as a motivating force for good many times. It has pushed me towards my full potential and past many times. Definitely it is good when it pushes us to help others and to help ourselves. I am still pondering all the new concepts I am learning recently about it.

I do feel a lot in common with you and many of the people who write here and it is definitely helping me.

I am new to this internet forum thing in general and the concepts of being somewhat intimate, but completely estranged from the people you write to is also new.

It is all completely wonderful, and somewhat weird. I have been writing books about internet technology for 6-7 years, but now it is affecting my personal life and not just my work.

I see you believe in free speech very strongly and have had some consequences from it.

I do too.

This internet communication method is quite detached and can sometimes lead to misunderstandings or misreading of intention. I suggest that no matter what perceived gaff someone makes we all still assume the best intentions.
barbarasher

Postby heidi » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:33 pm

barbarasher wrote:Yes, I do see my ego as a motivating force for good many times. It has pushed me towards my full potential and past many times. Definitely it is good when it pushes us to help others and to help ourselves. I am still pondering all the new concepts I am learning recently about it.
I'm starting to understand that it isn't the ego that drives us to do good, it's the doing good selflessly that wakes up the ego that likes to take credit for your and the universe's good work. When I truly let go, that's when my best work, both artistically and philanthropically, is done, and only afterwards does the ego step in and take credit!

This internet communication method is quite detached and can sometimes lead to misunderstandings or misreading of intention. I suggest that no matter what perceived gaff someone makes we all still assume the best intentions.

I've been on and off some forums for about 6 years now, and the opportunities for misunderstanding are great since the written word, especially in this mode, can be so easily misunderstood. And once again, if there's ever a problem, it's ego related :twisted:

The internet forum Golden Rule: Don't take anything personally.
Be objective. Ha ha Tolle's observer is the perfect internet forum member! 8)
Heidi
heidi

Postby barbarasher » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:55 pm

:mrgreen:

See I used an Emoticon.

My first!
Last edited by barbarasher on Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
barbarasher

Postby summer » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:11 am

I'm starting to understand that it isn't the ego that drives us to do good, it's the doing good selflessly that wakes up the ego that likes to take credit for your and the universe's good work. When I truly let go, that's when my best work, both artistically and philanthropically, is done, and only afterwards does the ego step in and take credit!

A lot of wisdom in your words, dear Heidi.
Recently I was in an accident and hurt my hip and shoulder pretty badly.
Plenty of time to see how I usually take credit for what my body does so easily, until it is hurt.

We may think that we get out of bed every morning, take our shower, and go about our business. Yet, when the body isn't working very well, what happens to this ME who thought that she was doing everything?
summer

Postby heidi » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:42 pm

Hmm, I replied and it disappeared. One more try.
We may think that we get out of bed every morning, take our shower, and go about our business. Yet, when the body isn't working very well, what happens to this ME who thought that she was doing everything?

Saying yes to what is when it's painful is a challenge, but that's the whole point of acceptance, yes?

A couple of weeks ago I spent the entire day lying around reading. I wasn't sick, I just did it - nothing, and it was incredibly refreshing. Even recovering from surgeries, I always had a stack of work to do in bed - this day I just was. Our culture here in New England is based on this drive - idle hands work of the devil sort of mentality - and now I'm finally getting it about just being - guilt free being (hey, it's the same G in Guilt as in eGo.) Infirmity is nature's way of making you take the rest you should have taken without it. So, Summer, enjoy the break (not bones ha ha), and happy healing!
Heidi
heidi

Postby erict » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:43 pm

Not that I have any big secrets, but how much do you talk about yourself in these kind of forums?

Or how much do you talk about yourself in an Eckhart Tolle forum?

How does it go?

To be honest, I don't really understand your question. We created this forum, and people started visiting and posting... posting whatever they wish. The only rules are the ones I recently decided to set regarding the post titles :) The rest is up to each member. Share about yourself as much as you feel comfortable sharing. Share as much as you would like us to know, just as you do with the people who surround you in your daily life. Well, actually, it's quite different. The anonymity of the internet often allows people to say things they would not otherwise, but I think that this has a lot of benefits. And we are here to enjoy them.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby FG » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:53 am

I noticed that a lot of times the people in this forum like to blame the ego for everything like dreams/lucid dreaming, doing good and bad, etc.

The fact is, the more you talk about the ego and wonder if it's the cause of good and bad and so on, the more you're keeping the mind going in a pattern or feeding the pain body.

To go through life studying the ego and trying to fight it, is actually insanity. It doesn't matter whether the ego drives us to do good or bad. You do good because you want to. It feels great doing great things, even if it is run by the ego. The mind is a great tool and you can do whatever you feel, even have an ego (because it's a little impossible to not have one), but don't be controlled by it. Know you're something greater and it's ok to think of good thoughts, just don't attach yourself to them.

I sometimes feel a lot of Tolle fans get the wrong idea. I feel that people think they can't think anymore and they can't feel any emotion. He never said that. All he is trying to do is show you what you really are and to know that present moment is all we have and not be run by compulsive thinking and a false ego.

So live and don't twist Tolle's teachings around (this is to everyone).
FG

Postby heidi » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:27 am

Wise words.Thanks
Heidi
heidi

Postby FG » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:44 pm

No problem, Heidi.

How come you got so stressed over this year's election? Remember that even Bush is the same awareness and good like all living creatures. :wink:
FG

Postby heidi » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:24 pm

even Bush is the same awareness and good like all living creatures. ]even Bush is the same awareness and good like all living creatures.

One thing I've learned is that we may all be one but some of us resonate at higher frequencies than others. I chose joy and love over fear and pride anyday.
Heidi
heidi

Postby FG » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:49 pm

I agree!
FG

Postby Anois » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:14 am

Correction. Bush is an Ego. Awareness does not bomb itself.
Anois

Return to Questions