What is surrender?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Blenderhead

What is surrender?

Post by Blenderhead » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 am

What is surrender?

I want to surrender, how can I do it?

18andlife

Re: What is surrender?

Post by 18andlife » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:42 am

I want to surrender
What surrender is consists of letting go of the "I want to" part of that equasion.

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:12 am

Thanks, I believe I have understood something valueable :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 am

What you truly are is naturally and effortlessly surrendered to everything that arises. What gets in the way of consciously realizing this is the "I" that wants something, even if that something is to surrender. See the illusory nature of that "I" and it begins to drop away as your identity and what remains is true nature, the naturally surrendered essence of what you are.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 am

Lots of good answers here. Here's another part of the equation.

Surrender is the letting go of the need for things to be different than they are in order to be at peace.

WW

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Ego doesn't like the word "surrender" because it feels like it "lost the battle" or lost control - control which it never had anyway. I prefer to think of it as the realization of that fact, and consciously allowing things to be just as they are - because we actually don't get a vote on What Is - it just Is! :D
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Surrender for me happened when the energy of seeking dissipated and it was seen that the only problem there ever was was the illusion of fear.

arel

Post by arel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 pm

I'll say that "surrender" as used in this context is letting go of focusing on things so much and letting your attention open up. Having it be more spacious and as a result, accepting things as they are, in this spaciousness. Then in that spaciousness to ask a question "what am I?" and exploring experientially the answer to that.
What I say is only my viewpoint.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:32 pm

"The soul is desperate for surrender ... initially the ability to surrender is limited. One has to use the maximum access of surrender that is available, and from that place more space opens up to surrender the false and awaken the real. It is a gradual process that begins and ends with surrender" (Anadi)

http://www.anaditeaching.com/rec/1102/S ... mation.mp3
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

alex

Post by alex » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Surrender already exists within you, when you are ready you shall know it.. not before or after.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 am

In order to fully surrender, the surrenderer must also be surrendered.

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 am

What is surrender?
I want to surrender, how can I do it?
In war time - wave a white flag.

In peace time hold your hands in the air.

:lol:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

AlohaFriends

Post by AlohaFriends » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 am

Surrender....?....I wonder what Mr Tolle or anybody here would do when it comes to something serious such as bullying, robery or rape....I know he's said something like 'give it a higher no, not a reactive no'....Well, robery or rape doesn't give you time enough to give a "higher no"..what would you do ?

heidi

Post by heidi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Aloha AlohaFriends - Welcome to the forum. In the case of robbery, rape, an oncoming vehicle, or even a stampeding bull or ferocious lion, the best response comes from clarity. If one takes the time the think about how to respond, then the response gets muddled and the person is more likely to end up a more muddled outcome. So, in that case, you are surrendering your mind to the moment, not to the lion or robber. Some might say "thinking on your feet" but what you're really doing is letting go. That's surrender. 8)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 pm

AlohaFriends wrote:Surrender....?....I wonder what Mr Tolle or anybody here would do when it comes to something serious such as bullying, robery or rape....I know he's said something like 'give it a higher no, not a reactive no'....Well, robery or rape doesn't give you time enough to give a "higher no"..what would you do ?
Surrender to action.

The idea that surrender is like sleeping is a very grave error.

It is the same way when normal people look at Buddha sitting. They think he is sleeping, actually he is ferociously alive.

The Zen Samurai honed their awareness for lifetimes so that in battle, in the split second of the unsheathing of the sword, they could be utterly connected to the universe. The hand of God.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small