Analytical thinking and other modes of useful thinking

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
citybarbarian

Analytical thinking and other modes of useful thinking

Post by citybarbarian » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 am

Hi,

I have been noticing that quite some of my thoughts are relating to problem solving and analysing some issues. These thoughts are nothing to do with my judgments or focused on self, others, future or the past. I see them as characterized by logic, reasoning, etc and hence quite useful for meeting daily needs.

ET said in one of his lectures that thoughts are something we picked up as we grew up from the parents, collective mindset etc. Again, we feel this is not the case with analytical thinking as I see logic, reasoning has its inherent truth in it.

Can anyone share some insights on how we might treat analytical thinking and other modes of thinking such as creative/imaginative thinking and explain in your view where do these thinking come from? And whether we need to be on guard with identifying with these modes of thinking too?

Thanks
Andrew

smiileyjen101

Re: Analytical thinking and other modes of useful thinking

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:12 am

This from ET -
This Weeks Eckhart Tolle TV Present Moment Reminder

"When you are present in this moment, you break the continuity of your story, of past and future. Then true intelligence arises, and also love."
Being aware of presence and of creation in motion allows us to join in the dance of creation - my understanding of 'true intelligence' arising.

Asking 'what would love do now?' gives us a sense of the greater possibilities.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

IanB

Re: Analytical thinking and other modes of useful thinking

Post by IanB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Analytical thinking is very useful, but overused and overrated, and yet we are taught (conventional, Western) to prize it above all else. Dangerous! For more on that and other styles of thinking available to us see here http://www.x10thinkers.com/ (might come with some advertising, not spammy but it is connected to a biz op site) or here http://www.schoolofthinking.org/about/training/ (I think this is the original version but I've not actually used this one) - both offer a series of emails on Thinking.

Creativity is, for me, not thinking; it's the act of tapping into something far greater than my conscious, rational mind. It is an act of connecting, of allowing, of being, here and Now, and seeing what turns up. Yes I have the intention, I think about what I want to create, but creativity happens when I stop with the thinking, get out of my mind and become present - then it flows.

So yes, we should probably be wary of being attached to any kind of thinking, even when we learn ways other than Logic but, for me, creativity is safe - it come from somewhere far beyond what's between my ears!

IanB ~
Know that who you dream of being, how you dream of living in the world, are whispers of yourself waiting to be rediscovered. ~ Aurora at Wild Bliss