Free will

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

Free will

Post by fortune » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 am

Do we have free will? Do we have any control at all? do we even have choice? i sometimes feel as if my mind is so conditioned that things are already pre determined. There's a part of me that believes that life has no borders and we are here to get beyond our limits and there's another part of me that wants to go beyond those limits but doesn't know how so just daydreams about getting beyond the limit (future). If i want to go in a certain direction how does my mind put up road blocks. If theres no such thing as free will then are we slaves to "god" or our own minds? or maybe god is a road block in the mind.

I saw a psychic about 3 month ago and she said a lot of good stuff was going to happen next year and i believe her its just if a human being wants to change how does that person know what the right thing to do is? i kind of feel there comes a point where the mind is so conditioned its hard to change. The world is full of people who are stuck in there ways there whole life and never change.

I watched this documentary called philosophy and the matrix which is about the matrix movies. One of the things it talks about is how Neo is on a personal journey of self discovery but he doesn't know what to do next. Is it just a case of surrendering to the present moment and being open and everything will happen naturally because i honestly don't believe much of what goes on in my head, i'm sick of believing and dreaming i want to experience and i think the majority of people on here even though they understand Eckhart's teachings may not be satisfied as they understand more than experience. i really don't know whether i'll ever be ready change.

karmarider

Re: Free will

Post by karmarider » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:44 am

fortune wrote:Do we have free will?
So far as I can see, there is no volition in the mind. Except the ability to move attention.
Do we have any control at all? do we even have choice?
We have a choice to have a very satisfying experience of life. Or not to.

We can eliminate the delusion of fear.
i sometimes feel as if my mind is so conditioned that things are already pre determined.
There is conditioning. I'm not sure if there is pre-determination. Maybe, I don't know.
I watched this documentary called philosophy and the matrix which is about the matrix movies. One of the things it talks about is how Neo is on a personal journey of self discovery but he doesn't know what to do next. Is it just a case of surrendering to the present moment and being open and everything will happen naturally because i honestly don't believe much of what goes on in my head, i'm sick of believing and dreaming i want to experience and i think the majority of people on here even though they understand Eckhart's teachings may not be satisfied as they understand more than experience. i really don't know whether i'll ever be ready change.
Yeah, this seems to be the common case. We can use our intuition, notice what goes on inside, use self-honesty.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 am

Yes it is possible to have free will ... but as you can see the conditioning is robotic.

But who is the one seeing ? And how can we organise things so that the one seeing who is free, is in charge ?
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

Testigo

Post by Testigo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Some questions about karma, destin, and presdestination:
”...there are no random events, nor are there events or things that exist by and for themselves, in isolation. The atoms that made up your body were once forged inside stars, and the causes of even the smallest event are virtually infinite and connected with the whole in incomprensible ways. If you wanted to trace back the cause of any event, you would have to go back all the way to the beginning of creation.” ANE, p. 197
Does it mean that my little ”me” was programmed to be with the special characteristics (personality, intelligence, tendencies) that conducted my life-story toward the point where ”I” am now?
I'll try to express this in other words:
Is it correct to consider that human life is a kind of theater play in which ”I” have a specific role written from the very moment of creation to carry me in a performance that is shared by all the persons, events, animals and things that come into contact with ”me” during my life-term? The script, I supposse, is not known by me, and I just have to adjust my behaviour to the circunstances that appear, to the Now. If so, the ”public” (Awareness) applaud every time that ”I” turn my face and wink an eye acknowledging that I am conscient of being performing a role and that if I laugh, cry, suffer or enjoy, I am aware that all this is just a play? Is it a good way to undestand what it is said about the non-existence of the little "I"? Am I correct?
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now

tod

Post by tod » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Testigo, when I wish to clarify myself, I consider this environment or context that I appear to be in as all happening of it's own accord, including thoughts about 'my'self and 'my' attempts at formulating 'what is going on'.

This consideration may be thought of as a conclusion or a belief, but I prefer to see it as present observation, current looking.

Testigo

Post by Testigo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:16 pm

[quote="fortune"]Do we have free will? Do we have any control at all? do we even have choice? i sometimes feel as if my mind is so conditioned that things are already.
There must be an explanation to what conditions us to develop a particular personality: Is it a way for Being to experience through us, for example being a fool, an intelligent person, a victim of bullying, living a life of illness, and suffering, etc...? Or for getting a good answer for this question shall we go back to the old concept of Karma? And if so, doesn’t that concept involves the persistence of individuality an ego trough a chain of lives? Is our destiny already “written” for special purposes that we have to accomplish, or it just changes accordingly with the spontaneity of the Now that in that way It decides at random the genetic, cultural and familiar conditioning that creates our personality?
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now