Mental and spiritual well being

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Mental and spiritual well being

Postby fortune » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:40 am

what does it mean to be mentally strong? Where always told to persist, work hard and discipline ourselves but one thing i've learned is trying to control our brain is "impossible" so when people work hard in the right way, what are they doing? I'm finding it hard to get the balance between working hard and letting go. There are people who say you have to work hard to get what you want and the others who say to let go. what is the difference between letting go in a spiritual way and never giving up in a mental way?, i'm finding there is a clash within me.
fortune

Re: Mental and spiritual well being

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:37 am

Work toward your goals. Do so in as smart and effective way as possible, and don't get overly concerned about results. That's the letting go part. What's important is enjoying the journey and not pinning your happiness on what you may or may not achieve. You will live a lifetime in this physical experience. Goals will come and go but the journey lasts throughout. Enjoying the journey is what matters. What value is the goal if you find yourself miserable all along the way?

WW
Webwanderer

Postby karmarider » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:21 am

fortune wrote:...what is the difference between letting go in a spiritual way and never giving up in a mental way?, i'm finding there is a clash within me.

Good question, fortune.

The way I see, the basic problem is a fear. In the presence of the effects of fear, these conflicts come up. When the fear is gone, there aren't any conflicts, and there is only surrender, which can sometimes be surrender to persistence. There is no effort to "never giving up in a mental way" to authentic goals when there is no mental conflict or resistance.
karmarider

Postby rideforever » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

If someone tells you to "never give up" ... what they are really showing you is how they understand the world. This is what they tell themselves, and now they are telling you.

The entire society wants you to "keep going", "be tough", "get your head down" ... but where is this society going ? Environmental disaster, economic disaster ... it's all a disaster.

So, you would be wise to find a different way of living as you can see this way of living leads to disaster.

-------------------------------------

"Spiritually-speaking", the goal is awareness, deep vast awareness of you of everything that is happening.

You can build your awareness when you do something strenuous, and you can build your awareness when you relax.

The goal is only to build awareness. More and more. But you must be awake.

Now when people tell you to "get tough", they are just encouraging you to be unconscious as you force things to happen - force yourself through 12 hour days doing something you hate. You can only do this by becoming unconscious. And then having a beer at the end of the day to become more unconscious and forget about the day. It is the opposite of the "spiritual" goal.

Mostly in life people are unconscious. They have to be to keep doing the terrible things people do.

How does a soldier shoot a weapon ? Only one way - by being unconscious inside. And this is the entire basic training of a soldier, to force yourself to do terrible things and fall asleep on the inside. You just run on automatic pilot doing what your superiors tell you to do, no matter who you are killing.

On the other hand people want to go on vacation and lie on a beach drunk on pina coladas. They are just trying to forget themselves and their lives. This isn't relaxation - it is unconsciousness. It is trying to forget about your life.

The "spiritual" goal is to wake up. To remember yourself, your life, your heart in everything you do.

When you breathe in - remember your self.

When you breathe out - remember your self.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby Yutso » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:50 pm

http://live.soundstrue.com/compassionatebrain/

To be mentally strong involves effort and dedication to self-directed neuroplasticity. Enjoy the journey. It's free.
Yutso

Postby rachMiel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm

fortune wrote:what is the difference between letting go in a spiritual way and never giving up in a mental way?, i'm finding there is a clash within me.

Clashes can be excellent vehicles for learning. Lots of energy arises from a clash/paradox; you can feel it coursing through your body! Use the energy to investigate -- as thoroughly, non-prejudicially, and scientifically as you can -- the who/what/where/why/when/how of the clash. Sit with it, ponder it, discuss it with yourself and others. Take notes!
No one really knows anything. (I think.)
rachMiel

Return to Questions