Awareness through music

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
steve4thecount

Awareness through music

Post by steve4thecount » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello All,

First and foremost, I must say that this forum is exceptional and I truly value the replies given from the community. It goes to show the selflessness of this new found "revolution" of Awareness that I recently discovered.

With that being said, my question best pertains to any other musicians out there who have felt a sense of emptiness when it comes to their craft. I recently discovered Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now," and "Stillness Speaks." Both of which have helped my greatly in my struggle to find inspiration, motivation, and true happiness.

As any other musician will tell you, playing music and "jamming" can be a musicians immediate gateway into the Now. There is no other time I have experience this Enlightenment as much as when I play music. Think of every musician you have ever seen get "lost" in their music. It is a true way to access the minds Is-ness and allow time to be present. The fun and awesome thing about being a musician is that I have not even realized until recently that I have been practicing Awareness and conscioussness my whole life, and didn't even know it! All those times I thought I was getting "lost in the music," I actually was finding myself! I allowed the present moment to be during those musical jams, and now realize why my happiest and most vivid times in my life are these very moments that I take for granted.

With that being said, I find since I have oversaturated my Awareness with my music, I find it harder and harder over time to find inspiration and stay motivated. After a while, those techniques (which I am currently learning to apply to my daily life) become someone watered down and stale. I can not access my Is-ness without feel as if I have done this before. I suppose what I am asking is, how do you keep it "fresh?" I find myself falling into the same routine or regime in order to feel Conscious, and I want to break that habit so that it is like the "first time," every time.

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated! Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

Thank you,
Steven

qtip

Re: Awareness through music

Post by qtip » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

I'm also making music, I kinda know the feeling you're talking about when lost in music but in my case I guess it's some sort of escape from the now instead of a way to be in the now. I often feel the urge to create and make music when the now seems not really attractive to me.

can being truly in the now get stale?

Donna

Post by Donna » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 pm

If I feel like I'm judging a moment, I am not *being* in that moment. However, if I am observing feelings arising..with all its colors, textures, and sounds...then I feel Iam being.
~*~*~*~* I love to live and live to love. *~*~*~*~

steve4thecount

Post by steve4thecount » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm

qtip wrote:I'm also making music, I kinda know the feeling you're talking about when lost in music but in my case I guess it's some sort of escape from the now instead of a way to be in the now. I often feel the urge to create and make music when the now seems not really attractive to me.

can being truly in the now get stale?
I suppose I wasn't trying to say that being in the Now is getting stale, I meant that my gateway into the now is getting stale. Unfortunately for me, I have yet to fully embrace Awareness, which makes it difficult for me to ditch my ego unless I have a catalyst, or crutch, which is music. I am trying to figure out how I can be awaken using different and new methods, including, but not limited to making music.

ZenDrumming

Post by ZenDrumming » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:47 pm

I definitely feel you on "jamming" your way into awareness. In those moments, it's like you just let go and the music plays through you. There's nothing in the way and pure expression just flows. It's like BAM! Here you are.

The barriers come when you try to "use" music (or anything) to bring you Presence. The mind says, "remember last night when I experienced Presence while playing music? I want more of that". But the problem is that you're then chasing a past moment rather than experiencing this one.

Also, like anything else, I can definitely wear myself out on music. I like to take breaks once in a while, and then when I start listening/playing again it's so much more magical and the ideas just pour out. I personally think that one of the main reasons so many great musicians (especially those who perform improv) fall into heavy drug use is because of the pressure on them to be "inspiring" all the time.

I think the best thing to do is to play music if you enjoy it, and focus on realizing the Present moment regardless of what it contains. There cannot possibly be a technique for realizing it, and every time I think I've found one I'm instantly proven wrong :lol: It's very elusive...

stormy

Re: Awareness through music (a link to a video of Eckhart)

Post by stormy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Steven

In case you are interested, here is a link to a video featuring Eckhart talking about music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivXgmwNismk

It's from his official YouTube channel, Eckhart Teachings (http://www.youtube.com/user/eckhartteachings).