Pushing forward/surrender and knowing what one truly wants.

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
RootedEarth

Pushing forward/surrender and knowing what one truly wants.

Post by RootedEarth » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi all,

How can I find out what I truly want? For example, a part of me wants to finish studying (and earn a degree so that I can find a well paying job), start building bigger muscles in the gym, go out and find a girlfriend, etc. So on one hand I feel a desire to undertake these challenges, but on the other hand I feel no desire for these "things" whatsoever. It appears that I want these "things" in order to feel more complete, more alive...but after constantly reading that the ego is never satisfied and that we are life itself I feel reluctant to even try so to speak (which is probably also the ego). If one is truly awakened, what is there left to be wanted? One who is truly awakened would not even ask these questions. I'm very confused.

Nothing motivates me to complete challenges...whereas when I was still totally identified with the mind I would find the motivation to do things by comparing myself to others ("I'll be a champion compared to others after completing all these challenges") but now I have absolutely zero motivation. It feels as if I'm more trapped than before I ran into these teachings, since I have no drive anymore. What's the point of this, what's the point of that? Why should I care? I know the question should be "why not care!?" but...I don't know.

I guess I find it difficult to enjoy challenges. What's the point of enjoying a challenge? I don't know how to find the love in doing what must be done...and then the question arises "Why must this or that be done?". Perhaps I am still totally identified with thoughts without fully realizing it, I truly don't know. I'm just very very confused... about what I want/don't want/etc...some help would be appreciated, friends.

Namaste

Webwanderer

Re: Pushing forward/surrender and knowing what one truly wan

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Consider, why do you perceive you are here in this human experience? To be as a stone, yet have the unutilized capacity of intentional creation?
RootedEarth wrote:It appears that I want these "things" in order to feel more complete, more alive...but after constantly reading that the ego is never satisfied and that we are life itself I feel reluctant to even try so to speak (which is probably also the ego).

Who determined for you that an unsatisfied ego was a bad thing? It's one thing to be lost in egoic identification (and even that is not decidedly bad), it's yet another to be curious in exploring our potential as conscious beings in this uniquely creative environment. Don't be overly concerned about having desires. They are the directors of creative energies through which we explore this life experience.

Be clear on the distinction between desires and neediness. One is expansive to our experience, the other contracts it. One focuses on possibilities, the other on lack.
If one is truly awakened, what is there left to be wanted?

What is left to be wanted? Whatever you can imagine.

There is no finality to awakening. Awakening in the context of the human experience, is more of a shift in perspective from identification with thought to perceiving from presence awareness. It simply eliminates the context of separateness that egoic identification creates. It is thus recognized that conscious experience is eternal and a common Divine, Essence is shared by all. We are then free to explore and expand our perspective and conscious beingness in whatever ways that interest us.
One who is truly awakened would not even ask these questions. I'm very confused.
You may want to explore this belief a bit more deeply. While one 'truly awakened' may not ask specifically these questions you cite, that does not mean there are not more intriguing questions to ask. Curiosity is a Divine gift. It sets us all on the road to ever greater evolutionary expansion.
Nothing motivates me to complete challenges...whereas when I was still totally identified with the mind I would find the motivation to do things by comparing myself to others ("I'll be a champion compared to others after completing all these challenges") but now I have absolutely zero motivation.
This is generally a passing phenomena of the awakening experience. Once you clear out the misperceptions that sometimes accompany the awakening process, a new perspective offers new incentives to explore and create. If you find yourself totally unmotivated, it's because you are not yet clear on the larger reality of being.

This human experience is unique in conscious beingness. It's potential is still largely untapped. Because there are so few who understand the relationship of conscious being to physical reality, there is little organized guidance in its exploration. This is where you come in - exploring possibilities where your fore-bearers saw none, or at least saw mostly limitation.
I guess I find it difficult to enjoy challenges. What's the point of enjoying a challenge?
It's a valid question, but comes from a perspective of blindness to the bigger picture - the larger reality of being. The point is, and you must discover this directly by feeling your true nature, is that life is forever and eternally expansive.

It is by our unique efforts in exploring possibilities of experience that the evolution of consciousness and being unfolds. As to enjoyment, expansion of being is joy made manifest. If you are not feeling joy in life, it is likely because you are not expanding - at least temporarily and/or consciously. But do not fear, boredom is a wonderful motivator to renew exploration.
I don't know how to find the love in doing what must be done...and then the question arises "Why must this or that be done?".
There is no 'must'. This is where the gift of freedom comes in. There is however all kinds of motivations. Being awake is also about being aligned with one's true nature - with Source. We are, all of us, extensions of Source Being in this physical reality and this human experience. It is not a chore. It is a gift of opportunity to explore a unique world of possibility. You can 'do' as much or as little as you wish, and it all goes to the evolution of Source consciousness and being. Of this you are an integral part, and loved unconditionally for your participation; and for that matter, loved just for being the essence of Source Itself.
I'm just very very confused...
We've all been there. For that matter most of us confess to cycling in an out of clarity on a regular basis as new information comes into the mix. In time you will adjust to this ebb and flow of clarity and confusion. Just don't beat yourself up about it as it is quite natural in this reality. Be patient. Explore your curiosity. Experiment with possibilities. And most of all do your best to enjoy the journey. There is after all no end to forever.

Understand that no effort is wasted in the larger reality as failures reveal as much as successes. What you are experiencing are just the growing pains of awakening to a larger reality of being - certainly larger than that we have been taught by the conventions of those who knew no better themselves.

WW

treasuretheday

Post by treasuretheday » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm

The Buddha said, "What I call liberation, the world calls resignation." But when Buddha & ET & other sages speak of liberation, I don't think they were proposing a path of dismal, limited experience.

Liberation comes from seeing the situation you are in. It never involves having something & then sacrificing it.
RootedEarth wrote:I don't know how to find the love in doing what must be done
Rushing around, preoccupied with career, romance, friends- in our youth we're so often trying to decide what to be, who to become, what are our interests. This is fine, but the simple experience of living fully, which in large measure equates to doing things attentively and well, can get lost in the shuffle.

What should you do with your life? Maybe the What doesn't matter as much as the How. Maybe what life wants most from us, whatever we are doing, be it humble or grand, is that we bring quality attention to it. In each moment, choose to live completely, wholeheartedly, totally. Attend fully to this moment, and to whatever is brought forth in it, & don't be attached to the results (winning the championship!).

Study, work, relate, exercise, have a party. Address the duties in front of you. Make the bed, study, help someone move a sofa. Of course, what appears before us may well be what we judge to be unworthy of our time: insignificant, not meaningful, beneath us even. Repetitive tasks with no real beginning or end enter into every life. Is there any point in doing the work that we'd rather overlook? Is it interfereing with your life? Keeping you from your Real life? Only your imaginary life, that life of what-ifs & how-comes.

At the moment when you are up to your eyeballs in the muck, at the moment you are doing anything, it is life, all of the time, it is all you.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

spikyface

Post by spikyface » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi there Root

I've been there too, and found this video by Adyashanti explains wanting better and in more depth than I ever could:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxBd-1lItKk

It's about an hour long but is well worth checking out when you're feeling like a ball trying to roll your way uphill

Peace
Do not take anyone as an authority on what you are. Ultimately all the answers lie within