Reincarnation and having children!

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Nutkins2

Post by Nutkins2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi all,
I have just finished reading The Supergods by Maurice M Cotterell and i am depressed about it to say the least.

In it he states that in the Popol Vuh (the ancient scriptures of the Maya) the gods wanted to create creatures (us) that would pro-create and worship them because because of the mechanism of reincarnation there have to be bodies in which souls can come into.

Now i feel that because i am married but chose not to have children, i will not ascend to God.
Please don't laugh at me, i feel really down about this. The whold reincarnation thing is perplexing to me. It seems that this life is to be lived as a penance and if we are lucky we may get to stay with God and not come back to earth again!

Any thoughts on this?

Godbless
Nutkins2

Webwanderer

Re: Reincarnation and having children!

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:20 pm

You are an extension of God's own being in physical form. You, as a unique perspective within that Divine being, will never be lost because you are an eternal aspect of the Source that created you. When you pass from this physical experience you will regain consciousness of the fullness of your true nature. Meanwhile explore and enjoy this temporary adventure of human beingness. It's all good.

WW

Nutkins2

Post by Nutkins2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Thankyou Webwanderer,

I believe any teaching from God should have you jumping in the aisles, so to speak, if it doesn't it is not from God!
But my head and OCD tells me to watch out.

Thankyou for your kind reply.
Godbless
Nutkins2

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Nutkins, there is no 'one way' to experience life, there are only perspectives.

There are literally infinite possibilities all of which 'god' creation is experiencing simultaneously through our expression and interaction with every other living thing.

I haven't read this particular book, but anything that tells me 'one way' 'this way only' etc etc reeks of pushing a barrel of a particular perspective beyond that of a perspective, if it denies anyone anything how can it be the word of god/creation?

No choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience.
eg: had you chosen to have children you would be having different experiences,
had you been medically unable to have children you would be having different experiences
- all of which are god/creation expressing itself.

The 'promise' of free will in my understanding now is merely "I would not presume to choose for you'. (from Neale Donald Walsch - author of conversations with god series etc)

Interestingly, as a parent one learns this, as a good friend too, as one who loves self and others freely with gratitude and generosity
It's also logical
- what one chooses another cannot with any accuracy judge, because the 'judger' has not experienced either the experiences that led to the choosing, nor the natural consequences of it, so with gratitude and generosity one accepts the path of others, choosing their path based on their understanding of their experiences.
It seems that this life is to be lived as a penance and if we are lucky we may get to stay with God and not come back to earth again!
Nothing could be further from the truth, we are God (collectively) and the opportunities afforded by coming into form in experiences this incredible realm of dualities and having the freedom to choose our responses... is no penance, it's an adventure of the soul...

again... gratitude and generosity ....

(but no choice is wrong... :wink: )
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

treasuretheday

Post by treasuretheday » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Nutkins2 wrote:seems that this life is to be lived as a penance
Jiminy crickets, Nutkins! We must live out our days in martyrdom? Yikes.

These beliefs sound as thought they stem from some pretty heavy patriarchal ideology. A woman must procreate to be a real woman! We've moved way beyond that imperative, Nutkins. We women create and nurture in many different ways. I would agree that both males and females are in sync with the divine when they are creating...but the notion that necessitates that all women must have a bun in the oven seems rather oppressive. I say...Pass!
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

chrismccoist

Post by chrismccoist » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I believe any teaching from God should have you jumping in the aisles, so to speak, if it doesn't it is not from God!
But my head and OCD tells me to watch out.

That caught my eye as i have mild OCD and have decided not to have children (after 10 years of marriage i had the snip 1 month ago)
I had never related it to OCD....oops too late now !!

Chris

Yutso

Post by Yutso » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Nutkins2, not to worry. What Cotterell wrote is just superstition.

With ocd the brain gives out deceptive brain messages which simply are not true. And what's even more is, not only are they not true but they are not even who you really are.