Idea of spirituality

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

Idea of spirituality

Post by fortune » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:12 pm

I think spirituality is stopping me from being at peace, i'm starting to wonder what it would be like if i dropped all my spiritual knowledge and just let my interest in spirituality go. I'll read a book every few weeks or go on a youtube video of someone like tolle, mooji, gangaji, adyashanti, de mello and they say something and it resonates with me but doesn't seem to be permanent. Do you think it can be a barrier to being at peace if your too interested?

rideforever

Re: Idea of spirituality

Post by rideforever » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Sure ... but people only arrive in spirituality because they are unhappy without it ... why did you arrive here ?

Watching videos on youtube doesn't say great commitment to me !!!! I don't think you are TOO committed if you are on youtube !!!

Anyway - try switching it all off if you like ... it would a good experiment.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:41 am

fortune wrote:I think spirituality is stopping me from being at peace, i'm starting to wonder what it would be like if i dropped all my spiritual knowledge and just let my interest in spirituality go. I'll read a book every few weeks or go on a youtube video of someone like tolle, mooji, gangaji, adyashanti, de mello and they say something and it resonates with me but doesn't seem to be permanent. Do you think it can be a barrier to being at peace if your too interested?
Maybe you are beginning to realize that the effort of spiritual seeking can be exhausting and often futile. It's good to evaluate as you are doing right now, but my guess is you will not be able to turn it off. And you don't need to. The exhaustion comes from holding to particular expectations.

Use your intuition. Your strategy is good--read and learn from other teachers when you want to, but the best lessons are from life (experience) itself.

My dropping of frantic seeking coincided with the time that I found John Sherman and then later Conversations with God. Previous to that time, I felt as you do--that my seeking was frantic, exhausting, antogonistic, often traumatic. Now I am happy about it--it is creative and enjoyable. Of course it might not have anything to do with particular teachings; it might just be that it is a process, and when there has been enough letting go fear, it changes into something more relaxed and happy. Like life.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:43 am

Do you think it can be a barrier to being at peace if your too interested?
The content of good spiritual material only serves to point to what you are. There is no absolute truth or value to it other than that and the spiritual material that offers other than that just distracts with imagination. So I'd say there is no harm this, "if i dropped all my spiritual knowledge" in whatever way that appears.

When I read this post I think that the barrier is not interest in spirituality but in the notion that you can be something that can be stopped from being at peace in the first place. Your true nature is at peace now, observing this play at seeking it. It is recognizable now. Of course the effect of the message in a piece of writing or in a video is not permanent. Nothing observed is.
karmarider wrote:Use your intuition.
Exactly. Not only finding, but trusting this is a most valuable shift. How can any of the material of gurus be the ultimate authority on the source and experience of you? Heck, every idea you have ever heard just might be not true. With countless sources apparently available, where does the ultimate culmination of authority on truth end? It ends with you because what you are is the truth that spirituality only points to.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:25 pm

It was only when I dropped the spiritual search completely, cold turkey for a couple of years that the truth came looking for me. Play hard to get.....flirt with the truth. Give it the silent treatment. Call it's bluff.

The follow your breath (panting), be in the now (looking constipated), cross eyed, blissed out (dissasociated) spiritual stalker does not appeal to anyone, including truth....
Be present, be pleasant.

treasuretheday

Post by treasuretheday » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 pm

I like Onceler's reply quite a lot.

Maybe you are focusing on the idea of spirituality rather than on living spirituality? You've taken the classroom part of the course but not the lab?

Power is not just a trip...the vital energy of grace is channeled into someone's life, through their being. This isn't just head stuff. Acts of faith, respect, patience, kindness & love are ways the divine presence works in your life. Open to the synchronicity & serendipity unfolding around you.
Life itself is the proper binge.
-Julia Child

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:51 pm

treasuretheday wrote:You've taken the classroom part of the course but not the lab?

Yes!
Be present, be pleasant.

Peath

Post by Peath » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Onceler's first reply is excellent and brilliantly expressed.

Personally, I treat spiritual discipline the same way I treat exercise - the occasional dip into presence by feeling the inner body and taking a break from excessive thinking is working well for me.

We see people like Tolle who are apparently present all the time and think we should find a similar permanent state, but my experience is that too much spiritual practice is like too much of anything, and other aspects of my life, such as creative endeavours and some relationships, suffered. Inwardly, I didn't feel comfortable with that and it was THAT inward guide that is, I think, true spirituality.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Jeff Foster: "Be the moment. Lose the plot."
---ooOoo---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 am

fortune wrote:I think spirituality is stopping me from being at peace, i'm starting to wonder what it would be like if i dropped all my spiritual knowledge and just let my interest in spirituality go. I'll read a book every few weeks or go on a youtube video of someone like tolle, mooji, gangaji, adyashanti, de mello and they say something and it resonates with me but doesn't seem to be permanent. Do you think it can be a barrier to being at peace if your too interested?
Spiritual seeking is simply the seeking after one's own true nature. It may wander a bit into and through religions, philosophies or psychologies, but in the end it's all about 'who am I'?

The problem you are facing is that your true nature is knocking on the door of your perspective. You go to youtube, and possibly other resources, because you are inspired to do so. Ignore it at your own peril. By that I mean that life lived in unconsciousness has a habit of becoming painful. The closer you are to the alignment with your true nature, the more likely timely insight and inspiration will be accessible when those painful moments arise.

WW

Yutso

Post by Yutso » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 am

Fortune, what you express is very much in line with The Nyingma Lineage of Tibetan Buddhism. According to its teachings enlightenment is not a distant goal to be strived for, but an immanent reality that must be recognized in the present moment. Efforts and agendas only serve to obscure this reality. Once this reality is recognized in the immediacy of the present moment the open space of pure awareness and the qualities of enlightenment spontaneously unfold.

There is nothing to ignore at your own peril regarding youtube or other resources. Such advice is nonsense. You are doing just fine.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:55 am

At some point we do need to drop the search, as the search will invariably become an obstacle.

Once we understand what it is we were searching for, the search is no longer required, as we settle into present tense acceptance.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj