Observing thoughts but...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
ashley72

Re: Observing thoughts but...

Post by ashley72 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 am

AddyMr wrote:Thank you for the reply. Would acceptance help with worrying thoughts then?
Yes. A good first step would be to begin accepting that "worrying" is allowed and merely a normal part of the human condition.
AddyMr wrote: What can be reccomened to deal with the rational and consistent worrying thoughts? (ones that are very unlikely to come true!)
A second helpful step, is to start writing down any worries that keep popping up in the mind & put it onto paper. Sometimes this allows you to stop thinking about them so repetitively. If the worries are just daily jobs, it allows you to work through them in an orderly & manageable fashion.

Can you share with us something that might be worrying you at the present moment?

Yutso

Post by Yutso » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 am

AddyMr wrote, "What can be recommended to deal with the rational and consistent worrying thoughts? (ones that are very unlikely to come true)

This book has helped many and is widely used in clinical settings around the country.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Not-Your- ... 1583334262 The centerpiece is to develop awareness of what thoughts keep reoccurring. (Ashley72's suggestion is very valuable). The neuroscience in the book is a great supplement to understanding how thoughts arise and explains how the brain gives deceptive messages, that are not only not true, they are not even who we are.

Well worth the read, and if you get to the end you will see how it mirrors Tolle.

AddyMr

Post by AddyMr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Thank you for the great replies - Ashley, they are mostly thoughts that recur about various things. It is like a stream of thinking that arises - its just hard to get around (or through even!) the issue with awareness, although I feel that is the best way to deal with it.

Thank you for that great suggestion of a book also Yutso - it looks like it would help me, I am considering buying it. Did it help yourself?

:):)

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:19 am

Awakening is definitely a process which often takes a lot of work and a lot of internal and external inquiry. Don't expect joy and bliss to spontaneously manifest overnight, it usually doesn't happen that way. It usually requires working through some very long held emotional traumas, identifications and such, that have developed over your life time.

Awakening can be likened to an unlearning process as much as it is a learning process. As you learn to unlearn all your past trauma.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 am

DavidB wrote:Awakening can be likened to an unlearning process as much as it is a learning process. As you learn to unlearn all your past trauma.
Yes I agree, ... the doing of the undoing is the greatest doing.

DavidB

Post by DavidB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes I agree, ... the doing of the undoing is the greatest doing.
Just three things.

Always enjoy yourself, as much as possible. Which can sometimes be lost in the undoing.

Never take anything too seriously, especially yourself.

And always attempt to respect and honor everything you encounter, especially other people.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

AddyMr

Post by AddyMr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the great replies - plenty of great material here :). Yeah I think the best thing is to not take it all too seriously, which can sometimes be easier said than done xD.

Thanks again all :D

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:20 pm

I just posted this in another thread and remembered your worrying thoughts Addymr
“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry.
If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying.
There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
:D

Another one I use is 'will it matter in 50 years?' (for me probably nothing will... :wink: )
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

Yutso

Post by Yutso » Sat May 04, 2013 5:15 pm

AddyMr writes, "Thank you for that great suggestion of a book also Yutso - it looks like it would help me, I am considering buying it. Did it help yourself?"
Yes, and many others.

David B writes, "Awakening is definitely a process which often takes a lot of work and a lot of internal and external inquiry. Don't expect joy and bliss to spontaneously manifest overnight, it usually doesn't happen that way. It usually requires working through some very long held emotional traumas, identifications and such, that have developed over your life time.

Awakening can be likened to an unlearning process as much as it is a learning process. As you learn to unlearn all your past trauma."

What David B expresses so eloquently is very deep and wise .