repressing my thoughts

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Frank47

repressing my thoughts

Post by Frank47 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

I feel like I'm repressing all of my thoughts by trying to stay present. This is making my life very dull, confusing/uncertain, and taking the enjoyment out of everything for me. There are many life decisions that I am terribly confused about making because I don't know what I truly want. I feel as if I'm not able to feel any certainty of making my own decisions because I've gotten so wrapped up in trying to be in the moment and being hopeful that things will just work themselves out naturally. The thoughts of uncertainty about what I should do still arise when live in the now but instead of being able to sit down and figure out what I truly want I just become increasingly anxious and don't get anywhere.

I wish I could put exactly how I am feeling into words but can anyone relate to this or have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Frank47

Re: repressing my thoughts

Post by Frank47 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 am

Another way to put this...Even when I choose to stay present I am anxious because there are many thoughts about what I should do (with my life, or any situation) and I don't know how to address those because I don't know what I truly want and feel like being in the moment and letting decisions be made that way may be the way to do it. I'm confusing myself even trying to explain this :?

Modern501

Post by Modern501 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:27 am

I totally feel what you feel. I feel sometimes I can't have thoughts. I love my thoughts, I want to think thoughts. I get that involuntary thoughts get in the way. But I see that I AM RESPONSIBLE for the thoughts I think. Who else could think the thought but me? Otherwise isn't my Ego playing the victim by blaming thoughts on someone else?

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:55 pm

I thought I would answer this by copying an excellent post from Smileyjen.....don't think she would mind;

"Meditation. Ignore ALL advice that is given to you as meditation is simply about ALLOWING whatever is to be as is. A great recommendation for you is to read "Meditation, Now or Never" by Steve Hagan. It's probably the best pure "meditation" book out there. It's a very small, yet incredibly effective little book that doesn't beat around the bush and is incredible SIMPLE and direct on what NOW and meditation ultimately mean on a deeper level. I would HIGHLY suggest you read this book.

Quick meditation:

Sit in any kind of pose as long as it promotes being awake rather than falling asleep. Eyes open or closed. If open, faced towards the floor or a blank wall to prevent the mind from attaching to objects. Then, just literally.....allow whatever is to be. If thoughts come up? Good. Allow them. Don't label. Don't judge. Don't identify. Don't attach. Just literally ALLOW and notice them. Emotions arising? Just allow it and witness it. Don't label it. Literally....feel the physical sensation of the emotion in the body and allow it to be there fully even if it's uncomfortable, but don't label it as good or bad. Sounds occurring? Allow them to be there fully and witness them. No matter how loud they are. Sensations in the body? Allow it. It's all part of what is happening NOW. You are the WITNESS to ALL of these things happening.

Do you see what meditation actually is? Meditation is not about DOING, but rather about BEING. It's a training process to get you in touch with what you truly are....which is...the NOW. There are no goals with meditation. There is no real TECHNIQUE. It's simply about allowing whatever is....to simply....just....be....as....is. Enlightenment is merely a shift in perspective when you realize what NOW is. There is no SECRET behind it. No magic. No anything.

Eckhart Tolle's message is not about us becoming robots. It teaches that if something CAN be changed for the better, then yes.....we should change it. However, if it is something OUT of our control, then we literally accept it as it is because it's part of the NOW which is essentially US. He's teaches us how to overcome suffering. Suffering occurs when we try to control something we have NO control over. It occurs when we RESIST what IS instead of ACCEPTING what is.

Example 1) I am sitting in this movie theater and the man next to me smells terrible. I have the choice of getting up and moving to another seat if I choose.

Example 2) I am waiting on line at the DMV (department of motor vehicles). The line is incredibly long to get my license renewed. I can choose to complain, whine about it and "wish" that I wasn't there which creates suffering OR I can simply ACCEPT that this is what's happening right NOW and I have no control over the situation. Therefore, I might as well make peace with it. That's true love right there.

I recommend you look into this self inquiry exercise which is a great exercise for you to actually REALIZE the self without acknowledging it because someone else is telling you. From your posts, it seems that my words are being lost in concepts which is only going to make things more difficult. It's all about direct realization which YOU have to experience first hand. You seem to have the conceptual understanding down very well. However, you are still assuming yourself to be a human body living in a human world which is NOT Tolle's message even though you indicate that you understand that you are "awareness". You are still seeing things in terms of 'separation' and "duality" as per your first post. This is a great exercise below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1k1290DXuQ

I would also suggest this link as an introduction to some of the Quantum Physics behind much of this stuff which might give you a better idea into some of the perspectives thrown around on this board. I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d4ugppcRUE

I can only suggest these things for you, but cannot force you to look into them. The choice is yours. Meditation when done correctly is a great tool. No expectations, no goals. Just being with what is and allowing whatever is....to be."
Be present, be pleasant.

jimmyrich

Post by jimmyrich » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 am

Frank47 wrote:I feel like I'm repressing all of my thoughts by trying to stay present.
I would need you to be more specific about how you are staying "present" and what all you are doing in that regard. To the best of your ability, please describe exactly how you are repressing all of your thoughts by trying to stay present and exactly who or what is staying "present"?
This is making my life very dull, confusing/uncertain, and taking the enjoyment out of everything for me.
If your are repressing things within you to attain some special state of being, it would make life very dull for the other parts of you that want to live and express them self.
There are many life decisions that I am terribly confused about making because I don't know what I truly want. I feel as if I'm not able to feel any certainty of making my own decisions because I've gotten so wrapped up in trying to be in the moment
I believe you are somehow misusing ET's concepts and abusing your self.
and being hopeful that things will just work themselves out naturally. The thoughts of uncertainty about what I should do still arise when live in the now but instead of being able to sit down and figure out what I truly want I just become increasingly anxious and don't get anywhere.
Somehow, you are completely misusing ET's teachings about THE NOW. I'd go back and study his teachings some more so you aren't repressing your self in an effort to be = present.
good luck :)

jimmyrich

Post by jimmyrich » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am

Frank47 wrote:Another way to put this...Even when I choose to stay present I am anxious because there are many thoughts about what I should do (with my life, or any situation) and I don't know how to address those because I don't know what I truly want and feel like being in the moment and letting decisions be made that way may be the way to do it. I'm confusing myself even trying to explain this :?
In my experience, the whole point of being "present" is to OBSERVE my thoughts to the point where I gradually or quickly become separate from my mind and can watch or witness my mind's activities, like a wind up toy, from a tiny distance. As I watch my mind and it's thoughts, I might sense or feel that I am not the mind anymore but a very different "thing" or "me" over here watching a mind spinning around. If this method works for me, I will become the Witness or Silent Observer who is watching my thoughts but will no longer be an egoic self caught up in the mind and it's thoughts/stunts.
The teaching is all about remembering or returning to my own Real Self as opposed to being the egoic self that I've been all my life, so far. Being "present" is the first step to steadfastly observing my mind and it's activities so that I can somehow discover that I AM NOT THE MIND or it's billions of thoughts and feelings. Once I know that I am not the mind/ego, I can relax and do whatever I wish from then on as a FREE and FEARLESS Being who can use his mind instead of it using me! good luck becoming your Self again. :D

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:08 am

Frank47 wrote:Another way to put this...Even when I choose to stay present I am anxious because there are many thoughts about what I should do (with my life, or any situation) and I don't know how to address those because I don't know what I truly want and feel like being in the moment and letting decisions be made that way may be the way to do it. I'm confusing myself even trying to explain this :?
Its called musturbation. I must do this, I must do that. Just accept yourself as you are...and the anxiety will eventually subside.
Last edited by ashley72 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:12 am

Modern501 wrote:I totally feel what you feel. I feel sometimes I can't have thoughts. I love my thoughts, I want to think thoughts. I get that involuntary thoughts get in the way. But I see that I AM RESPONSIBLE for the thoughts I think. Who else could think the thought but me? Otherwise isn't my Ego playing the victim by blaming thoughts on someone else?
Same thing...stop musturbating! .... Just accept yourself as is.

Modern501

Post by Modern501 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 am

To be honest, I was thinking positive thoughts. Then all of a sudden someone says I can't have thoughts or attach myself to them and screwed up my whole thinking. I don't know what to do

tod

Post by tod » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:12 am

Modern501 wrote:To be honest, I was thinking positive thoughts. Then all of a sudden someone says I can't have thoughts or attach myself to them and screwed up my whole thinking. I don't know what to do
If you are referring to what I have said in your other thread:

I have not said that you cannot have thoughts. Nor that you cannot attach yourself to them (but doing this has consequences). You are making assumptions and not taking nearly enough care to read the words written and make intelligible replies.

This can take years of study and you appear to be expecting to understand in a day or two.

I am sorry but my questions appear to be too difficult for you to contemplate at this stage, so please disregard what I have said.

Peath

Post by Peath » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Modern501 wrote:To be honest, I was thinking positive thoughts. Then all of a sudden someone says I can't have thoughts or attach myself to them and screwed up my whole thinking. I don't know what to do
You can keep your ego (your idea of yourself that thinks about itself), it's fine! Think positively and improve your ego, but also know that it is something you HAVE, not what you ARE. Positive thinking is great so embrace it, but a point may come when you want to take break from incessant thinking (even positive thinking can overheat the head) and that's when you can practice Presence, to return to that peace that lies behind all thinking. Do whatever works for you, there's no 'wrong' here.