Once we are aware, what happens next?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Modern501

Once we are aware, what happens next?

Post by Modern501 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 pm

I was wondering.... After I am aware of the thoughts I am thinking and know that I am the awareness what happens next? What should I do next?

tod

Re: Once we are aware, what happens next?

Post by tod » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Modern501 wrote:I was wondering.... After I am aware of the thoughts I am thinking and know that I am the awareness what happens next? What should I do next?
You remain aware when you go onto thought. IOW, you know that going into thought places you in a thought-to-be-world as a thought-to-be-being.

You know that the thought-to-be-being is not really in any world, so there is a lightness that wasn't there before.

That's all that changes.

Modern501

Post by Modern501 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:16 am

Ummm... Wait that sounds confusing. What do you mean? Like I change and think thoughts, instead of the thoughts thinking me?

tod

Post by tod » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 am

Modern501 wrote:Ummm... Wait that sounds confusing. What do you mean?

I said what I meant. Sorry, but It is confusing to the mind, to something that is trying to make sense of it.
Like I change and think thoughts, instead of the thoughts thinking me?
You currently position yourself or define yourself via thought as a thought-to-be being don't you? You cannot define where you are or what you are if you do not go into thought, but you still are aren't you?

You may well need to take some time to contemplate this.

jimmyrich

Post by jimmyrich » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:12 am

Modern501 wrote:I was wondering.... After I am aware of the thoughts I am thinking and know that I am the awareness what happens next? What should I do next?
I'd just do whatever I want - as a free and fearless me. :)

Modern501

Post by Modern501 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:50 am

So thoughts are through thoughts and between thoughts. When thought happens we go through life and what we experience and not thoughts but about how we think them.

Could I have a thought? Or should I not think at all?

tod

Post by tod » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 am

Modern501 wrote:So thoughts are through thoughts and between thoughts. When thought happens we go through life and what we experience and not thoughts but about how we think them.

Could I have a thought? Or should I not think at all?
You have assumed (thought) that you think. But is there actually anyone there to think?

These sort of questions can take months if not years, to contemplate fully. Do you have a meditation practice?

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:31 pm

So thoughts are through thoughts and between thoughts. When thought happens we go through life and what we experience and not thoughts but about how we think them.
Sorry, but this is incomprehensible to me.
Could I have a thought?
Sure. There is nothing inherently wrong with thoughts, but investigate the nature of "I". Who or what is this "I" that you believe yourself to be? Look for it; where is it? Is it something real and never changes or is it something that is dependent upon thinking? Right now you have some unexamined assumptions about the "I", but now it's time to investigate these assumptions to see if they are based on reality or based on thinking.
Or should I not think at all?
Nobody is saying that you shouldn't think at all; that is a recipe for complete frustration. If you don't believe me go ahead and try to not think and see what happens. You might momentarily suppress thought, but at some point they will return. The more you try to repress them the more work it will be until you will get totally frustrated and confused. Find out for yourself by trying to not think.

What ET and awakening teachings are about is the realization that what you are is that which sees thoughts - that silent, still, peaceful and alert awareness/consciousness that sees and knows something is present. Whatever arises will also go, but that which you are is steady and ever present, and it is THAT which sees. Thoughts come and go, emotions come and go, sensations come and go, but awareness/consciousness is ever present. That awareness exists prior to the arising of thought, exists throughout the duration of thought, and remains after thoughts dissolve; that's what you are.

Thoughts are functional, but not always helpful. They are functional when they are used as tools to negotiate within and examine the nature of the world, but they are unhelpful when they are the basis for one's identity. If they are the basis of your identity then they become the focus of your attention, and they can become burdensome and heavy.

Allow attention to turn 180 degrees, to turn away from focusing on thoughts and onto their source. Watch thoughts carefully and see where they come from and what they dissolve into. Investigate very carefully and patiently and notice the gap between thoughts; when you notice that gap there is still alertness present, there is the knowingness that something exists that is alive but thought-free. That is YOU.

This realization may take some time, so be patient, and that gap may be so small that it gets easily overlooked. So spend some time each day sitting with eyes closed and investigate the nature of thought, watching as they come and go - be alert for that gap.

ET has an exercise where you pretend that you are like a cat watching a mouse hole, waiting for the mouse to appear. Maintain an attitude of alertness that could be put into these words: "What's my next thought going to be?" and then simply watch, waiting to see the mouse poke its nose out. It's a very innocent approach to thoughts' appearance, not an exercise of suppression. Lay aside any belief in what they are saying and simply watch them without judgment.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Modern501

Post by Modern501 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 pm

I think where I am conflicted.. is that I think I am suppose to be this no-thinking no emotion person. I need to be in the "stillness" or this grand idea of what emptiness feels like. Why would I do that, when I live in this earth and have these experiences? It kind of sounds like I am suppose to be a zombie and go through life like the wind.

I just wonder how people are bilssful from Oprah's A New Earth. I have dreams and aspirations, and I feel like I can not achieve them.

jimmyrich

Post by jimmyrich » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Modern501 wrote:I have dreams and aspirations,
I'd say go for them! lIfe is an adventure, so enjoy it and do the best you can. :) jim

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:07 am

I think where I am conflicted.. is that I think I am suppose to be this no-thinking no emotion person. I need to be in the "stillness" or this grand idea of what emptiness feels like. Why would I do that, when I live in this earth and have these experiences? It kind of sounds like I am suppose to be a zombie and go through life like the wind.
You have some fundamental misconceptions that are causing this conflict. It's not that you are "supposed to be this no-thinking, no emotion person," or need to be in the stillness, or grasp the "idea of what emptiness feels like." The realization that arises when you awaken is that you ARE stillness/silence/alertness/awareness/consciousness, that you ARE emptiness. You aren't supposed to make yourself get there, but to see that you already are there. There is no "need" to try to get there and keep everything else out because you are ALREADY there since that is your very nature. All the other stuff like thoughts, emotions, sensations, and events are things that appear in you. Awakening is the seeing and realization of this. Wake up and then feel your emotions fully as they come, feel your sensations without resistance, and witness thoughts and events coming and going.

After you realize what you are then live your life, pursue whatever interests you, and work toward whatever goals you have while simultaneously knowing that none of that affects your true nature. In other words, if your interests change then so be it; if goals are not met or change then so be it because none of that can add or detract from what you are since you are already whole and complete. Wholeness is your very nature, it is secure and unalterable and nothing you do or don't do can change that. Consciously abide in/as this wholeness that you already are while simultaneously living your life in whatever way it unfolds.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 am

Modern501 wrote:I think where I am conflicted.. is that I think I am suppose to be this no-thinking no emotion person. I need to be in the "stillness" or this grand idea of what emptiness feels like. Why would I do that, when I live in this earth and have these experiences? It kind of sounds like I am suppose to be a zombie and go through life like the wind.

I just wonder how people are bilssful from Oprah's A New Earth. I have dreams and aspirations, and I feel like I can not achieve them.
I'll add my take to jimmyrich and kiki's quality pointers. Not only are you not 'supposed to be' this no-thinking no emotion person, the human experience is designed for such unique thinking and emotional experience. The problem for most is that they get lost in the thinking and the emotion by way of identification with certain concepts of thought emphasized by emotions.

The point of intentionally taking moments of not thinking is to create a space in order to clearly recognize that awareness, or conscious being, continues irrespective of thoughts and emotions. Awareness is consistent with and/or without the presence of thoughts and emotions. Thoughts and emotions are simply experiential manifestations that occur within that fundamentally clear awareness. The origin of those thoughts and emotions is another conversation, but without a consistent familiarity with one's fundamental awareness, it is likely that one will become attached to the belief that one's identity is mostly related to one's personal and unique thoughts and emotions.

It's not the end of the world however. It's the way most people have lived their lives for millennia. The Universe of consciousness is plenty big enough to be inclusive of all human experience. No one or nothing is wasted. Every experience has value in the greater evolution of Consciousness.

Tolle and others are pointing to the value of recognizing your true nature as pure awareness as it is a valuable refuge of perspective in a world built to experience thoughts and emotions in the unique environment of physicality. Most all of us live, or have lived, in the context of identification with our beliefs and concepts about self.

In this new age of experience currently unfolding, there is a much greater opportunity to perceive our human life experience as did the awakened teachers past and present. That doesn't mean we do not think and feel and explore life in all its richness. It means that we engage our experience with greater clarity in not falling so completely into the identification game. In those thought free moments that we practice with regularity we gain consistent familiarity with our true nature beyond the thought and emotion roller coaster.

This perspective changes the context of experience to one of a clarity that is less resistant of life's challenges. Perceiving from clear awareness allows one to be more in balance while thoughts and emotions run their course through our experience. And when that balance is lost for a time in the intensity of experience, that balance is quickly regained through the familiarity of well practiced thought free moments of clear awareness.

WW