Seeking Advice From Those That Have Found Truth

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
donothing

Seeking Advice From Those That Have Found Truth

Post by donothing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been a student of Eckhart Tolle’s teachings for quite some time. I’ve read his books and have been subscribed to his website, eckharttolletv.com for several years. His teachings resonate with me and watching his videos provide a calming effect. However, despite my attempts to use his portals such as feeling the inner body, watching the breath, acceptance, etc I feel like I haven’t come much closer to the truth.

What led me to his teachings initially was this feeling of anxiety that I had throughout my life. There was something about his approach that rang more true than simply replacing the negative thoughts with positive reaffirmations, etc. However, when I use his portals they usually lead to a forced feeling in which I feel less relaxed than if I just let go. Possibly because I’m using them as a means to an end to get rid of the anxiety.

So, over the years I’ve found myself bouncing back-and-forth between different methods to find one that works well for me and leads me to a path deeper within. This has led me to find a few different teachers such as Adyashanti and Mooji. Unfortunately, it’s led to a lot of frustration and little success. Now, quite frustrated with my progress, I’m committed to finding the truth and taking myself out of this current state (I'm thoroughly fed up).

So my question is, for those that have successfully found the truth and are able to abide in it, what technique would you suggest I use? Should I use Adya’s self-inquiry meditation? Should I just accept everything eventhough it brings with it unpleasant feelings and thoughts of death and dying?

I just prefer it to be something I can use and stick with along the journey. I’ve dabbled too much in a little bit of this and a little bit of that without much success (I feel).

I would greatly value your advice.

Thanks,

Rob

Onceler

Re: Seeking Advice From Those That Have Found Truth

Post by Onceler » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 am

I have a very similar story. John Sherman's "looking" technique did the trick for me. My anxiety and depression are gone and life is rich and satisfying. I'm not enlightened, what's more, I have no desire to be.

Justonelook.org
Be present, be pleasant.

tod

Post by tod » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 am

donothing wrote: So my question is, for those that have successfully found the truth and are able to abide in it, what technique would you suggest I use? Should I use Adya’s self-inquiry meditation? Should I just accept everything eventhough it brings with it unpleasant feelings and thoughts of death and dying?
Not making any assessment of where I am Rob, but I find going though unpleasant feelings, rather than escaping them by 'going into thought/belief' is and has been helpful. This, I have found, is the full living of them rather than the bypassing of them. The more this is 'allowed' or 'undertaken', the more will be revealed: what is revealed is the thoughts/beliefs that generate the unpleasantness, or are thought to define you: once revealed they, usually gradually in my experience, lose their assumed potency.

I am and have been doing this 'facing' in 'manageable lumps' with apparently corresponding results of increasing clarity.

Welcome to the forum, and best wishes.

TemporalDissonance

Post by TemporalDissonance » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:03 am

Welcome to the board Rob!

I have no idea where I am but when it comes to difficult feelings and thoughts I have found "surrender" and "acceptance" to be helpful. By "surrender" and "acceptance", they are approached from the utmost sincerity within the core of one's being. If the most unpleasant feelings arise, surrender and accept the feelings within your body/mind without identification. They are like little children who have been hurt and desire your comfort and attention.

Give them the warmest hug you can give. Love them for who they are.

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:36 am

Onceler wrote:I have a very similar story. John Sherman's "looking" technique did the trick for me. My anxiety and depression are gone and life is rich and satisfying. I'm not enlightened, what's more, I have no desire to be.
:lol: 8) Nice and honest and I agree!

Once you find the Peace that comes with finding Your Self, you need nothing beyond that.

I suspect there are as many ways to get there/here as there are people. Some take the long road, some get stuck in quagmires of dogma, and some don't even care while others get to take the short cut! Very cool! I like it.

Different stories, same plot and same ending :D
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks, Sandy and agreed. You can take the freeway, the scenic route, a horse cart, float there in a hurricane, twist there in a tornado, but home is home, no matter how you get there. :wink:
Be present, be pleasant.

donothing

Post by donothing » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks very much for your advice.

Onceler - it's funny you should mention John Sherman. I stumbled upon his technique a year or more ago and never gave it its due. Just two days ago, before I wrote the post I came across his website again and have decided to try it more fully. Thanks also for your PM, looks like I'm not allowed to write return PM messages yet with my limited posts. So, other than what I have seen from his instructions and attempting to look at myself. Is the searching or looking sufficient? I have the same doubt I'm sure many do - am I doing it right? I don't know if I'm looking at me or just another space inside of me... if that makes sense.

A follow-up thought. Do you think there's a difference between enlightenment and what John Sherman is achieving by looking? Or is it, as you and SandyJoy (thanks btw) describe, "all paths lead to Rome."

Tod & TemporalDissonance - thanks for your posts on acceptance and surrender. When I've reached my deepest level of frustration, acceptance and surrender feel like the best solution and the answer to it all. It's in my regular day when the emotions and thoughts are uncomfortable that my mind can't help but think there must be a "better" way that blocks the tornado of crap flying my way. But, I will allow the storm to pass and see if it doesn't lessen over time.

I think I'll try to combination of J.S.' looking combined with surrender and acceptance to see where they lead me.

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:40 am

I'll agree with many of the people who have already mentioned acceptance; learning to accept what is has brought a huge improvement in my life.

Another "truth" I'll mention is humility. For most of my life I confused humility with humiliation. :D But as I have learned about consciousness, one of the things I have realized is how limited is our ability to see reality. Our minds have been programmed since birth to think in certain ways so all of our perceptions and sensations are filtered through this programming before we become aware. Our mental pictures of reality are slanted and skewed by this programming, so we aren't seeing reality clearly. We have limited knowledge and understanding.

When I looked at my anxieties, I realized that they were a lot about the future. I would imagine a particular scenario, then get all worked up with the fear that it would (or wouldn't) happen. As I started learning about my limitations, I realized that I had NO idea what would happen in the future, or even what was the best outcome in any situation. I had only a limited view of the circumstances, and often something that I thought was good would turn out to be bad, and vice versa. (Have you ever heard the Chinese parable of good and bad? I wrote a blog post about it: http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/201 ... r-bad.html)

Another source of anxiety is what other people will do. I used to say, "I know how you feel." One day I realized--I have no idea how other people feel! I can't know all the thoughts and hopes and fears that drive them. I can't know all of their motivations. I don't even know all of mine for goodness sake.

So I have started saying "I don't know" a lot. I don't know what will happen, I don't know what you're feeling, I don't know what's best. And then this helps me circle right back to acceptance.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 am

Perhaps, this video will help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pS_wPeDxDQ Mooji 8 min long

Sometimes, I can't find the words myself, so I find a video to speak for me.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:11 am

Donothing,

I'm glad you discovered JohnSherman. I'm afraid I'm not qualified to compare his work to enlightenment as I was never quite sure what eniligntenment was.....it's kind irrelevant to me now. I had a vague notion it was a bliss state, interspersed with peace and tranquility. I no longer believe that this kind of state can be sustained.

John's mentions infrequently that the results of the looking may be what people are searching for or describing with enlightenment, however, I don't think he wants to muddy the waters with conceptual confusion and describe in too much detail the results of the looking. I would encourage you to read the forums on John's site, many there describe an experience that is initially difficult but which turns into something unexpected and satisfying.

I have found that there is a certain flow to life once fear and anxiety are diminished and there is a upward spiral where positivity feeds on itself. Problems and setbacks become more of an interesting challenge rather than something to be feared or filtered. I expect everyone's experience is quite different which is why John doesn't go into a lot of detail about life after the looking. One of the things that I found most refreshing about it is that my life has unfolded without much effort on my part which is a stark contrast to previously always feeling that I had to make a great effort and do something monumental to change my life and attain something. Now, things unfold on their own and I don't feel anxiety, shame, guilt, or pressure to force things to happen.

The looking takes time to restructure and unwind the negative conditioning. You can easily keep up all practices of meditation, yoga, or other things as the looking does it's work. I have found my qi gong practice has been effective in alleviating some of the side effects of reconstruction. It's as if the looking makes these practices more effective.

I wouldn't worry about whether you're doing it right, as John says you can't do it wrong. Keep it simple, because it really is simple.....no fireworks, just a subtle movement toward that which is 'destructive and false' quietly leaving.
Be present, be pleasant.

donothing

Post by donothing » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks Kathleen - that reminds me of an Eckhart video I watched in which he talks about Socrates who said "I'm the only one who knows that he knows nothing."

Dijmart, I feel like I've watched this video before, very insightful. It's hard for my mind to admit that having nothing to do about anything at all could be the answer. I can see my mind wanting to resist the simplicity of this. ... must find a solution to reach that state...

Onceler - you're right, it sounds like the state you describe is more than enough. I'll keep up the looking practice and check out the forums on his website. I noticed that he's looking for more donations to keep his practice going. Funny that some, such as Eckhart, seem to be doing very well financially while others struggle despite the help they provide.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:52 pm

donothing wrote: I noticed that he's looking for more donations to keep his practice going. Funny that some, such as Eckhart, seem to be doing very well financially while others struggle despite the help they provide.
Yes, I think they are about to go under financially. If so, I'm sure his work will live on in other forms. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Be present, be pleasant.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:08 pm

dijmart wrote:Perhaps, this video will help you...

Yes! I really liked this video, dijmart. I see that when the search is over there is an automaticity to the process.....there is a clearing without effort. I had a distinct ending to my search. I wasn't trying to stop, I just gave up completely out of hopelessness that I would ever find anything.

That's when things got interesting and grace seemed to enter. Since then things have been simple, the way it's described in the video.....This seems to be a theme with many seekers. Exhaust all possibilities in your search, overturn all the sofa cushions, go thru all the pockets of all your clothes......and then your keys turn up in the place least expected and everything is simply the way it always was, only different. You're no longer mad with the search.
Be present, be pleasant.

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 pm

donothing wrote:Thanks Kathleen - that reminds me of an Eckhart video I watched in which he talks about Socrates who said "I'm the only one who knows that he knows nothing."
Yes, that's from Plato's Apology about the trial of Socrates. The oracle at Delphi had named Socrates the wisest man in Athens. Socrates rhetorically asked, “How can I be the wisest man in Athens if I know nothing?” He looked around him, among the politicians, craftsmen, and writers of Athens, and saw that these people had knowledge, but they vastly overestimated what they knew. What he meant was that he knew nothing absolutely. Wisdom came from Socrates' ability to keep his knowledge in perspective, to realize the limitations on human knowledge.
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Onceler wrote:
dijmart wrote:Perhaps, this video will help you...

Yes! I really liked this video, dijmart. I see that when the search is over there is an automaticity to the process.....there is a clearing without effort. I had a distinct ending to my search. I wasn't trying to stop, I just gave up completely out of hopelessness that I would ever find anything.

That's when things got interesting and grace seemed to enter. Since then things have been simple, the way it's described in the video.....This seems to be a theme with many seekers. Exhaust all possibilities in your search, overturn all the sofa cushions, go thru all the pockets of all your clothes......and then your keys turn up in the place least expected and everything is simply the way it always was, only different. You're no longer mad with the search.
Donothing and Onceler,

Mooji says "the intellectual faculties take you to the seeing" this is an important to the meaning of the video, because without that happening there would be no "seeing". But, it seems that the mind wants to continue searching, continue to make efforts, even when it has found the "seeing" and the "truth". So, that's why he says that after this "seeing" you must drop everything.

The thing is...you may not realize you already have/are what you were seeking, because it's too easy or you may think there is more work to do, when that happens, the mind continues and real peace doesn't emerge until this stops. So, once you know the truth, stop the searching and effort. You can continue to read and watch videos, but the desperation about it all stops.

After the "seeing" my mind tried to hold me hostage still, for awhile, by making me think I had to make effort to clear the ego. I wrote about my struggles in the "awakening vs enlightenment" thread (towards the end I think). I was convinced that each identification with thought- "grip of ego" had to be analyzed, mulled over, worked through and only then could be dissolved. The mind telling me this was a trap! All that is necessary was to recognize, acknowledge and let go...a clearing without effort as Onceler said.

It wasn't until after that thread was over, it dawned on me that my mind was playing with me! Then the true grace came for me and I stopped the analyzing and mulling over. It just stopped. Any burp of the ego was seen as a momentary, in the moment, identification with thought that was easy to get over by not attaching to the experience. The funny thing is, once I just let it all be...then, the ego, identification with thought, attachment, pain body has just been fading.... "Burps" of it may still happen, but no longer seen as problematic...
Take what you like and leave the rest.