The Voice In My Head

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Jaz

The Voice In My Head

Post by Jaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Hello. I have a question, and I suppose it has to do with the definition of ego. I am stuck with the concept, I take it to be one of two definitions but I don't know which one it is -

1. The Ego is the "voice in my head", it literally is everything I think. From the negative, to the positive, to the running monologue.

2. The Ego is the "devil on my shoulder", so outside of my internal monologue of daily tast and logical thought, the ego is the judgmental voice, the critique.

So which is it?

kiki

Re: The Voice In My Head

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:53 am

The ego is what one identifies with as being "me". It shows up in various forms, most notably the voice in the head that judges itself and others, and sees itself as separate from everyone and everything else. It's usually continually commenting on something that's happening within oneself or what is seen as outside events.

Don't set ego up as something negative/bad that must be eliminated for that will only set yourself up for a futile struggle to get rid of it or suppress it. The one that would do such a thing is the ego itself, so any attempt to get rid of it is counterproductive. Instead, investigate its reality and see it for what it actually is, a mentally constructed entity that has no life of its own other than thought forms that are identified with.

Welcome to the forum,
kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 am

Thankyou for the reply.

I was just confused with the concept. For example, everyone has a running monologue, it could be along the lines of "I must get chicken in for dinner.... etc" This is what I would assuem is the logical part of ones brain.

Is this in fact part of the ego too?

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:58 am

There are problem solving thoughts that have nothing to do with one's identity; they are utilitarian and useful in how one negotiates within the world of form. And then there are "should" or "shouldn't" type thoughts that one judges oneself by, and these are egoic type thoughts. Any thought that increases or decreases one's opinion of oneself are egoic in nature. I wouldn't characterize "I must get chicken in for dinner" as egoic unless there is some sort of self congratulation for doing so or self condemnation if it doesn't happen. Without any sort of ensuing judgment about getting chicken ready for dinner that sort of thought is simply a utilitarian and useful kind of thought.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 pm

So how do I know what thoughts are ego?

I beleve tolle said, that when I feel a negative energy within myself. I should stop and notice what thoughts are going on. My example with the chicken. I was referring to the self talk we all do, problem solving, mental check lists. Is this ego or my true self talking?

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:49 pm

My example with the chicken. I was referring to the self talk we all do, problem solving, mental check lists. Is this ego or my true self talking?
The short answer is no; mental check lists aren't the ego talking. But let me make an important point - "true self" doesn't talk/think. Thoughts come and they go - nowhere will a "true self" be found thinking. Thoughts revolving around "me and my world and how I see it" are egoic, and the others are just thoughts.

But I wouldn't become too hung up in distinguishing between egoic and non-egoic thoughts. What's most important is seeing/realizing what lies beneath any thought, whether it be egoic or utilitarian - that's what you are. Whatever that is is changeless; it never judges, never names, never labels, never needs to know more, never feels compelled to comment on anything, never regrets things from the past, never is anxious about the future, never prefers one thing over another; it just IS. It is ever present and it is what sees/knows/realizes what is unfolding in the world of form via sensory input.

All of those "nevers" I mentioned in the above paragraph are hallmarks of egoic thinking. They weave themselves together in such a way that they give the illusion of a "me" that is separate from everything else, but if you try to locate that me it won't be found. Throughout most of your life you have assumed that the me/ego is actually real, and it's that assumption that must be faced and actually investigated in order to see directly whether or not it's valid. When you do this you will find the me/ego is only a concept, a movement of thought within the mind. In other words the me/ego is a verb, a phantom entity dependent upon the action of thinking. What is it that sees all action, including the action of thinking? Investigate to find out; what is its nature?

So instead of being concerned about which thoughts are egoic and which ones aren't turn your attention back to the source of all thought. Sit down, close your eyes, and carefully observe them. From where do they arise and into what do they dissolve? Be alert to those moments when all of them are gone - there will be a stillness and silence and the aliveness of Being left shining. That is You; that is independent of mind altogether. Over time you will see/realize the difference between one kind of thought and another, between the ones that create and sustain the "idea of me" and those that are simply neutral and non-egoic.
---

Testigo

Post by Testigo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Nice post, Kiki. Thank you!!
TESTIGO

To land Here and Now