Finding direction

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
cloud

Finding direction

Post by cloud » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Hello to all,

I am currently trying to find a career and direction in life. Seems that the harder i try to find what i actually want to do the more difficult it become to find! After gaining a new perspective on life, i have realised that alot of things i was striving for just seemed to be 'adding to my ego' and of not any real use. Now i am no longer striving for anything i am waiting for a new direction to arrive, could this space of nothing last for ever or would something new be provided by just becoming present?

Any comments and personal experience would be appreciated!!

TemporalDissonance

Re: Finding direction

Post by TemporalDissonance » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Sometimes hindsight is 20/20. I have to say with respect to career/direction… there isn't much to stress about. Yes, we may feel like we don't know what we are doing, but these moments are equally important as those when we "knew" what we are doing.

On a practical level, instead of waiting for a "new direction" to arrive, just do something. Get off the chair and find something that interests you right this moment. Stop over thinking it. Enjoy life. A "new direction" will soon "appear". By waiting, you are lost in some mythical future.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm

I usually go into analytical mode when I face a challenge like this. (And it's a really important challenge, so much of our lives revolve around our jobs/careers.) Analysis *with* heart.

* The top-down approach (idea first): I want to help people in need, let's see what jobs I can get that will both enable me to do that and pay the bills.

* The bottom-up approach (actuality first): The people my friend works with seem very cool, I'd like to work with them, let's see if they have a job opening.

* A hybrid: I want to help people, my friend works for a company that (directly or indirectly) helps people, maybe I could get a job there.

I agree with TD: If you find yourself mulling things over to the point of paralysis, it could be just the ticket to get up off the couch and DO something. :-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

cloud

Post by cloud » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the great advice, I don't know if i came across as though i am just sitting around. I am very active, have been reading, do alot of sport and have recently finished a herbal medicine course. Being active hasn't provided me with any incites in direction as of yet! Although after realising that before most activities were ego orientated i now do have more an inspiration to help people that are disadvantaged.

TemporalDissonance

Post by TemporalDissonance » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:30 pm

rachMiel, those are great perspectives. I was such an analytical person before that I went through a period of the total opposite *laugh*. I am noting those down.
cloud wrote:Thanks for the great advice, I don't know if i came across as though i am just sitting around. I am very active, have been reading, do alot of sport and have recently finished a herbal medicine course. Being active hasn't provided me with any incites in direction as of yet! Although after realising that before most activities were ego orientated i now do have more an inspiration to help people that are disadvantaged.
cloud, what I wrote wasn't an insinuation of your inactivity in anyway, that you were literally sitting and doing nothing. :) But more along the lines of: Instead of worrying about finding a direction, can you at this point allow yourself not to have a "direction"? Just let go for a while. As you stress about "finding a direction", where is that thought coming from? Is that the ego?

But as you mentioned, you are inspired to help people that are disadvantaged. That's a good start. Now, what do you want to do with that?

cloud

Post by cloud » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for your words! they have clarified alot, Also i happened to stumble on some nice quotes in a book that provided some incites:

"If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there"

"Walk well the road you are on and you will find where you are going"

"our life purpose becomes more transparent as we immerse ourselves in the meeting the tangible need of the moment"

"our lives become meaningful by laddering through many accomplishments. We do not wait for purpose, purpose waits for us!"