ETs hair

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Sirius

ETs hair

Post by Sirius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 pm

ET talks about how these practices slow down the ageing process etc but he appears to dye his hair. If he is so enlightened why doesn't he appear a lot younger?

EnterZenFromThere

Re: ETs hair

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Being enlightened doesn't mean letting your looks slip. Tolle puts the Gucci into Guru.

rideforever

Post by rideforever » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Yes good point.

ET followers sing together the song of condemning the ego.
And then when they find out ET dyes his hair they say, "oh but that's ok".

Hmmm ....
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:21 pm

It is a spiritual test. Do you judge him for dying his hair? Would you judge him for not dying his hair? Should a spiritual man not dye his hair? In whose world must these conditions be met?

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 pm

but he appears to dye his hair.
But do you know for a fact that he actually does dye his hair? No, you made an assumption and then criticized. Someone else took your assumption as fact and then used that as a springboard to comment on his "followers". Quite the spectacle to watch others' minds in action. I recall him saying a few years ago that he doesn't. For a man about to turn 66 he looks remarkably young, dyed hair or not.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Is it any of our business? He's just a human being.
Be present, be pleasant.

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

Here is wonderful statement that comes one who also knew the Light of Truth -- and shared it in his days.

And it still applies beautifully right here and now.

18 Related Papers "The Child Within Us Lives! A Synthesis of Science, Religion and Metaphysics"
ABOUT SUFFERING AND DEATH

Winter comes with a rush this year. From summer to winter without a fall at all. Freshly cut hickory and oak are all set to burn in Ben, the Franklin stove, tonight. The water pipes have been wrapped. Sam and Sally have their doses of anti-freeze. If it gets really cold, I may try a little anti-freeze myself.

Dear Loretta, It is the human sense of things that moves in circles and seasons. It is the human sense of things that watches the cycles of human existence from birth to death, from joy one moment, to suffering and anguish the next. And it is the human sense of things that insists on understanding the why, why, why of suffering, anguish and death.

Once a man came here from England and wanted me to talk about my personal suffering—apparently to better understand his own. I refused, asking him why I should tell of my suffering rather than the Light I had come to discover. “Why not talk abut the positive side of the coin rather than the negative? Why not tell of what is delineated rather than the delineator?” He left unsatisfied and angry. Were he to ask me about suffering today, I would do my best to answer, albeit I'm not certain I could say much that makes sense to the human sense of us, or to our vaunted “understanding.”

To this tangible human viewing, I have suffered as much as anyone. Perhaps more. It is only the human viewing that believes “enlightenment” does away with tangible anguish and suffering. There is the common belief among metaphysicians that since the Truth “heals,” the advent of enlightenment must surely bring an end to suffering—even an end to death. But in the human scene, the enlightened do not suffer less, but often more. Jesus cried in anguish, asking God why He had forsaken him. His disciples, with the exception of John, suffered all the way to their own executions. Paul carried his “tormentor” with him to his appearance of death. Mrs. Eddy suffered on and ON. Aiken suffered on. Goldsmith suffered on. Watts, deWaters, Laird. None of their enlightenment prevented the appearances, within tangibility, of bodily decline and death.

The human sense of “me” (the fiction, the belief) has had an awful (to human sense) “tormentor” most of my life. But does burning the sheet of music do anything to the principle of music? Does the torment we dream do anything to the dreamer on the bed except eventually awaken him?

So we find reference to pain and suffering in K's journal—again and again. But he, as I, speaks about a state of mind that is beyond feeling and thought, about meditation that is explosive in nature and sometimes accompanied by physical pain.

For me, the viewing of suffering out there with others has been my external delineation of Joy “here as I”—the feeling of anguish and suffering “here, as 'myself'” is the delineator of Joy supernal—accepted on faith alone, internally. Oh, this doesn't say it at all!

Loretta, do the flowers and grasses suffer when the first frost hits them? Do the insects that perish suffer when winter descends as it inevitably does? Do they really suffer death from the cold? Or is it like a circle, a cycle, that renews itself with the spring that is also inevitable? Holistically speaking, the grasses, the flowers, the bugs come back when the cycle turns warm again—and “death: is only a resting in time and its seasons. Holistically speaking, there is no end of human or personal life even though there appears to be a suffering decline unto death to our tangible viewing. But our tangible viewing is the action of Awareness, of Life itself, which sees the seasons repeat themselves in an endless flow of seasons, called “Eternity.” How do I know this is so? Because I see the cycles repeat themselves and I see the seasons return.

When I finally heard and felt and saw the Symphony for which this physical body is the sheet of music, I became the Symphony, no longer limited as the printed page. But, listen, listen, to hear and feel the Symphony is only to accept it on faith alone! We merely accept the existence of the Symphony for which all tangibility is the sheet of music. That is all. It takes the sting from death and allows us to understand the “why” of tangibility's suffering. It says that suffering, here or there, is like the dark night that makes Light plain. The Light is real. The darkness only a seeming. Joy is real. The suffering only a seeming—albeit seeming very real. When we begin thinking holistically (solipsistically or subjectively), we stop believing ourselves to be mere leaves on the tree and begin thinking in terms of tree. The leaf falls off the tree, so what? The Tree lives. This body grows old and perishes, so what? LIFE goes right on, untouched. Life is individual, alone all in all. It only appears divided into billions of people and countless forms of life... in the same way a single light appears divided into many colors when it flows through a prism.

The REAL of Bill, Loretta, Rachel and Paul is NOT suffering unto death. The real of us is LIFE, GOD-Life—and it is single, only and all. Paul and Bill may seem to suffer and decline—but that seeming, seen holistically, is not real and has no power. The seeming is an “is-not” making the IS of Reality plain to Awareness—just as darkness makes the Light plain. The Light is REAL, darkness its means of being understood.

Loretta, like you, I grow tired of words and their limitations. I am weary of trying to explain things that are purely HEART-felt and have to do with simple faith beyond thoughts and feelings. This is why I publish so little now. The overtones have said it all already, as nearly as it can be said in words. (William Samuel -- 1984)
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Onceler wrote:Is it any of our business? He's just a human being.
Yes he is just a human being but he is one making huge claims about ageing that aren't scientifically substantiated. Surely if anybody's ageing process is going to slow it's going to be his because he is so enlightened right? Then why would he dye his hair unless it was going grey? It's not to look nice. It's to cover up the ageing process. Only the ego would want to do that right?

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 pm

Then why would he dye his hair unless it was going grey?
Please document your source for this.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sirius

Post by Sirius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 pm

kiki wrote:
Then why would he dye his hair unless it was going grey?
Please document your source for this.
Document my source for what? I'm not writing an essay or editing Wikipedia. It's a forum and I have put forward an opinion. If you can't cope with people criticising your guru and you are having a certain resistance arising then observe it.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:41 pm

It's a forum and I have put forward an opinion.
Yes, an opinion, but then you use your opinion as though it is an established fact to make assertions about his egoic need to appear younger. Do you actually think this is right or fair? You are creating a straw man argument.
If you can't cope with people criticising your guru and you are having a certain resistance arising then observe it.
I have never looked at ET as any kind of guru, another assumption on your part. ET isn't a guru, and I have absolutely no interest in following any guru. As for criticism I have no objection as long as it's fair, but what you are doing is simply wrong.

The tenor of your response to my request reveals an agenda, so why are you really here, to deepen understanding and clarity or to stir people up with unfounded statements?
---

Sirius

Post by Sirius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 am

Has ET documented his source for his claims about the human ageing process. No, they are unsubstantiated yet you don't question this? the signs are there that he is covering up his own ageing process by dyeing his hair. I know dyed hair when I see it. Make of my unsubstantiated claims what you will.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 am

The man is nearly 66 years old. Do you think he looks that old, aside from your assumption about him dyeing his hair? It's my opinion he looks remarkably young, and I'm not judging solely by his hair color. My whole point to you is that you don't actually know about his hair color, but suspect he dyes it and then you question why he would do such a thing given his statements about the aging process. There is a disconnect there in your assertions.
---

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 am

Has ET documented his source for his claims about the human ageing process. No, they are unsubstantiated yet you don't question this?
It's not a relevant point to me, and I have never taken everything he says at face value. What matters is how his teaching has affected my life in terms of being present.
---

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:46 am

Tolle puts the Gucci into Guru.
:lol:

I find this topic funny. Should Eckhart also buy out-of-date clothes from the salvation army? Better yet, he should just dress up with one outfit for the rest of his life to show how much he doesn't care about his appearance because he won't let his ego dictate his fashion sense. Dyeing hair ain't a big deal IMO. I think that if he dressed shabby and looked unkempt, people wouldn't give him much credibility. Btw, I did a quick google image search and his hair color looks the same except for some small variations because of lighting perhaps. Maybe he's wearing a wig? :o
Last edited by Clouded on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak