ETs hair

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
azooo

Re: ETs hair

Post by azooo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am

He was actually asked by Oprah about his hair and he said he's not dying it. He says that presence slows down the ageing factor.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 am

Clouded wrote:
Tolle puts the Gucci into Guru.
:lol:

I find this topic funny. Should Eckhart also buy out-of-date clothes from the salvation army? Better yet, he should just dress up with one outfit for the rest of his life to show how much he doesn't care about his appearance because he won't let his ego dictate his fashion sense. Dyeing hair ain't a big deal IMO. I think that if he dressed shabby and looked unkempt, people wouldn't give him much credibility. Btw, I did a quick google image search and his hair color looks the same except for some small variations because of lighting perhaps. Maybe he's wearing a wig? :o
You're missing the point. It's not about appearances. It's about ageing. If the ageing process slows down as ET claims then surely he would not need to cover any grey hair. Also having grey hair does not equal not caring about ones appearance or shabbiness and unkemptness. Plenty of very handsome grey haired men out there. Wearing shabby salvo clothing and grey hair are two entirely different things.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 am

Oh ok, I assumed that you thought he was dyeing his hair because he wanted to appear younger and presentable looking to his public and not because he wanted to hide the fact that he was aging because that would mean that he lied about presence slowing down the aging process. I think he looks good for his age (if that is his real face, and not a skin covered by foundation and whatnot).
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

Sirius

Post by Sirius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 am

Clouded wrote:Oh ok, I assumed that you thought he was dyeing his hair because he wanted to appear younger and presentable looking to his public and not because he wanted to hide the fact that he was aging because that would mean that he lied about presence slowing down the aging process. I think he looks good for his age (if that is his real face, and not a skin covered by foundation and whatnot).
:D :D lolz

peas

Post by peas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:21 am

Another example of the collective mind, in its conditioned state, creating drama. Fact does not seem to dissolve the will of the mind and any opposing view just makes the will for drama stronger. What we resist gets stronger in a relative sense. On an absolute basis, nothing really matters.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:57 am

Sirius wrote:
Onceler wrote:Is it any of our business? He's just a human being.
Yes he is just a human being but he is one making huge claims about ageing that aren't scientifically substantiated. Surely if anybody's ageing process is going to slow it's going to be his because he is so enlightened right? Then why would he dye his hair unless it was going grey? It's not to look nice. It's to cover up the ageing process. Only the ego would want to do that right?
I don't really care, do you? I would like to think that presence slows down aging, but then it doesn't really matter for me, as I'm not that present. There's some good scientific evidence that superior nutrition slows down aging......I'd rather go that route.
Be present, be pleasant.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:03 am

Actually, I believe that its starvation (calorie restriction) that slows down aging :roll:.

SockMonkey

Post by SockMonkey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:12 am

Lol, I'll probably get a lot of flak for this but along these same lines, I've also wondered why did he change his name to a Eckhart Tolle (I know it's not his real name). After listening to his teachings (and I'll forever be grateful to him for those), at the end of it all, I realized why would he feel the need to change his name to detach himself from his terrible past. Unless f course, he had already changed it before that fateful night.
Last edited by SockMonkey on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:04 am

I also like to believe that presence (absence of stress) slows down aging. Apparently you can regenerate your cells by epigenetic reprogramming or something like that and that can be done through creating a more positive reality for yourself by changing your emotions, expectations, beliefs and values. There's a book that mentions the power of thoughts on our body that I plan on reading someday which is called "The Biology of Belief" if anyone is interested.

I don't know if it actually happened, but legend says that Marie Antoinette's hair changed to white overnight after she learned that she was going to be guillotined so she must have gone through a considerable amount of stress to end up looking like that so if you can go one way, then why not the other? So I expect to look 30 when I'm 50.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:01 am

runstrails wrote:Actually, I believe that its starvation (calorie restriction) that slows down aging :roll:.
Hahaha, I just think that is funny. Yes, starvation will slow the aging process, cause with enough starvation you'll end up dead. That should do it. Hahaha
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 am

SockMonkey wrote:why did he change his name to a Eckhart Tolle (I know it's not his real name).
I saw an interview with him recently where he talks about this. His words go along the lines of:

He felt he wasn't the same as he used to be. He had a dream where he saw books on a table and they had the name Eckhart on them. In the dream he knew he had written them. After waking he was walking down the street and a friend of his said "Good day Eckhart." ET asked why his friend called him Eckhart and the friend replied he didn't know, it just felt right. He also greatly admired a German dude called Eckhart. It was around that time he decided to write TPON and change his name to Eckhart Tolle.

Read into that what you will.

hoarfrost

Post by hoarfrost » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:14 pm

"He had a dream where he saw books on a table and they had the name Eckhart on them."

Funny. Not to be all drama-createy, but I distinctly remember him claiming that after his awakening he stopped having dreams. Can anyone else remember that?

epiphany55

Post by epiphany55 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:46 pm

Have you considered that he may be bothered about his appearance because of how much other people link appearance with credibility? If he's trying to reach ordinary people, he needs to meet their existing standards (no matter how shallow) in order to be given the time of day. Just like you would make an effort with speaking a foreign language when you go abroad.

It's exactly the same as a car salesman wearing a suit. What a car salesman wears would have zero effect on my willingness to trust him or buy from him. But there's a reason why he does dress smartly - because most people DO judge him on his appearance.

I scrub up and do my hair before I go out, especially when I'm meeting others, because it does affect how other people interact with you... unfortunately. Maybe when human consciousness has reached a certain point in its evolution, people won't judge others on their appearance!
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.

KathleenBrugger

Post by KathleenBrugger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:20 pm

EnterZenFromThere wrote:
SockMonkey wrote:why did he change his name to a Eckhart Tolle (I know it's not his real name).
I saw an interview with him recently where he talks about this. His words go along the lines of:

He felt he wasn't the same as he used to be. He had a dream where he saw books on a table and they had the name Eckhart on them. In the dream he knew he had written them. After waking he was walking down the street and a friend of his said "Good day Eckhart." ET asked why his friend called him Eckhart and the friend replied he didn't know, it just felt right. He also greatly admired a German dude called Eckhart. It was around that time he decided to write TPON and change his name to Eckhart Tolle.

Read into that what you will.
That German dude was Meister Eckhart, a theologian, philosopher, and mystic from the 13th century.

From wikipedia:
Writings

Eckhart wrote on metaphysics and spiritual psychology, drawing extensively on mythic imagery, and was notable for his sermons communicating the metaphorical content of the gospels to laymen and clergy alike. His work has influenced major German philosophers.

As Eckhart said in his trial defence, his sermons were meant to inspire in listeners the desire above all to do some good.

Sermons

Although he was an accomplished academic theologian, Eckhart's best-remembered works are his highly unusual sermons in the vernacular. Eckhart as a preaching friar attempted to guide his flock, as well as monks and nuns under his jurisdiction with practical sermons on spiritual/psychological transformation and New Testament metaphorical content related to the creative power inherent in disinterest (dispassion or detachment).

The central theme of Eckhart's German sermons is the presence of God in the individual soul, and the dignity of the soul of the just man. Although he elaborated on this theme, he rarely departed from it. In one sermon, Eckhart gives the following summary of his message:

"When I preach, I usually speak of detachment and say that a man should be empty of self and all things; and secondly, that he should be reconstructed in the simple good that God is; and thirdly, that he should consider the great aristocracy which God has set up in the soul, such that by means of it man may wonderfully attain to God; and fourthly, of the purity of the divine nature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meister_Eckhart
We are ALL Innocent by Reason of Insanity
http://kathleenbrugger.blogspot.com/

robertgred

Post by robertgred » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43 am

azooo wrote:He was actually asked by Oprah about his hair and he said he's not dying it. He says that presence slows down the ageing factor.

Yeah I do agree with the fact that coloring may age you....Rather you might opt the natural products for your hairs..They have long lasting results without any side effects...My stylist suggest me to use Kadi