Losing the self

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
cloud

Losing the self

Post by cloud » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 pm

I am on a roll here with the questions! I have been experiencing eckharts teachings and have realised alot in how my life actually is! Although i keep hitting the obstacle of maintaining daily awareness and being in the moment. My ego seems to think that theres a possibility i will lose my mind and there won't be anything left - like the possibility of not being able to do anything after, i know this is not true but it keeps coming back preventing me to come back to the present moment. I have been present with the thought but can't find where it had started.

Any pointers would be a great help!!

Webwanderer

Re: Losing the self

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Not sure what you're going for here, but I'll give you what comes to me.

Don't make ego a big deal. It will likely be with you in some form for the rest of your physical life - and that's a good thing. What matters more is your recognition of present beingness. The more you recognize clarity of/in presence, the more familiar it becomes, and the easier access to it you have in times where ego starts to run amuck. Ego is not an enemy. It's a tool for the exploration of the interesting perspectives offered in human life. It's only when one becomes so fully identified with ego - thoughts and beliefs about being a separate self - that no clear path back to presence awareness is recognized.

You don't have to stay in clear presence all the time. You only have to have easy access to it so as to find stability when emotions tell you you are out of harmony with your true nature. Fear and pain are two primary indicators that ego has lost perspective of its source consciousness. Again, getting a little lost is not right or wrong. It's really a design factor for exploration of extremes and what they have to teach.

The problem is the unnecessary pain that arises when one has no awareness of their true nature and gets caught in seemingly endless loops of spinning painful thought. Knowing the truth of clear present beingness, is the path to freedom from these thought traps. Get familiar with clarity and make it your best friend. It is. It is your own true nature and will guide you if you let it.

Look at life as an exploratory adventure through the stepped down limiting perspective of ego, while holding to your fundamental clarity and understanding, that it's all for the unique experience this human condition offers for the greater evolution of consciousness.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 pm

WW - What a fine comment!
My ego seems to think that theres a possibility i will lose my mind and there won't be anything left - like the possibility of not being able to do anything after, i know this is not true but it keeps coming back preventing me to come back to the present moment. I have been present with the thought but can't find where it had started.

Any pointers would be a great help!!
Your experience of egoic fear of dissolution says one thing to me: that you have in fact tapped the root of your Being. The ego would not be sending up these warning shots if it were not actually threatened. What will eventually happen to the mind-built ego, is that it will find its true place in your life. And that is not "in the driver's seat." At least not when it can rest in the back seat and maybe take a nap. Your ego has provided you with income, relationships (some not so rewarding) and an "identity." Simply recognizing that that "identity" is actually a carefully constructed "role of the human organism in society" and not the Ultimate Truth is a step you have taken, with the help of Eckhart Tolle. Same thing happened to me about six years ago. Truly "entering the present moment" is a nonmental experience. There are no busy thoughts in the "present moment." But there can be an increasing fragrance, or sense of "Presence" in every moment. As Webby says, allows this the time to happen.

Also: Nothing of value is lost. Everything that "you were" becomes available as needed. In fact, all those components of your egoic identity which were life supporting and compassionate will arise with greater ease, and be more available to you. Some of the other less useful, excessively protective stuff will fall away over time.

Here is a useful post:

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 738#p29738

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks Andy. I think your friend Adyashakti would concur.

WW

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Sighclone wrote:Here is a useful post:

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... 738#p29738
Great post! Woof woof ... :-)

WW your guard dog is very chill indeed. Master doesn't need protection?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 am

rachMiel wrote:WW your guard dog is very chill indeed. Master doesn't need protection?
Maybe Rover's gained a little understanding of how life works, and maybe he just got worn out from all the senseless barking... He's certainly done plenty in his day. Anyway rM, thanks for noticing.

WW

peas

Post by peas » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 am

cloud wrote:i keep hitting the obstacle of maintaining daily awareness and being in the moment.
Most times when something feels hard we look for a way to make it feel easier. We've been conditioned to do that.

Instead, look at what is feeling hard. Question the terms of the problem. Ask if it is at all what should be the target of your attention.

It's often not what we think is the problem that requires our attention.

In this case, by saying "daily awareness", you are hinting that there is a timeline to the awareness that you seek. When, as you know already, there is not. The terms are very different.

Let go of quantifying awareness. Instead of chasing it daily, accept it with no time, as it is, in this moment. If its there, accept. If it is not, accept.

Watch. Observe. That is the practice. Watching and observing uncovers the awareness that was always there.

cloud

Post by cloud » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Thank you all for your words it has really put it all back into perspective and Nice analogy guard dog! :D