How to to convince people to spirituality.

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
HeartVsEgo

How to to convince people to spirituality.

Post by HeartVsEgo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 am

Hey friends, sorry for my english

Im so greatfull for everything i learned even that im confused with the story in my head which sometimes wont let me feel what is.
Whatever my father lived his whole 50 years with pain in his body, he needs the knowlegde that he isnt his story of his mind and learing acceptance of what is without judging it. HOW do it start convince him, he really need it and i saw that his ear was open when i told him a bit about it, but i didnt exactly how to start and which methode could let him feel it more. Shall i let him meditate first and guide him while that, to put his attention in the body and feeling what is - or is it the silence he needs to learn or what is the easiest first step.

Thank you

sardinelover

Re: How to to convince people to spirituality.

Post by sardinelover » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:56 pm

If someone I know is highly stressed, depressed, anxious, or deeply unhappy, I ask them if they would be interested in reading a self-help book. If they say yes, then I give them a copy of The Power of Now. I tell them that if they like it, then they can keep it, otherwise they can return it to me.

I don't mention spirituality, and I don't try to convince them that they need it. If the book resonates with them, then they are ready to awaken.
Relax your face

cloud

Re: How to to convince people to spirituality.

Post by cloud » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 am

You can't really 'convince' someone to read a book. You could tell him what you have learnt and how it has helped you. In that way you are offering first person experience, he then may become more accepting to other ideas. It does seem that when someone goes through a certain level of suffering that start to become more accepting to new paths. Sometimes the teachings can be expressed directly without and 'spiritual' connection. Such first taking some lines of inquiry, who is experiencing the pain? and becoming interesting in how this appear and shortly after disappear. He will realize that he is not what he thinks, only when he believes his thoughts and becomes associated to them.