direction lost

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
cloud

direction lost

Post by cloud » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Over the past year i have been integrating eckharts teachings into my life, but have come to a point where i feel the 'i' have lost direction. Things that i previously valued i don't any more and now seem to have no direction or motivation to do anything! When looking back on before i could see the i was following certain things just for the egos sake.

I have followed the advice from other in a previous post in staying with this feeling but there are no pointers what to do after. I have some general interest but nothing like the enthusiasm and drive before! I do feel alot more peaceful and seem to have alot more free time, is it just the ego that says i should be doing something in this time or should i just sit there and expect some form of inspiration to arrive? When there is time of no doing anything i can see how easy it is to fall back into habits.

The books i have read have provided pointers, but in a realisation that there is no self, there is also no enthusiasm to connect this self to the world. I almost feel it would be better if someone just told me to do a certain job etc (prob for ego's sake) but i know this is not the path of freedom.

Any comments are appreciated!! :)

Webwanderer

Re: direction lost

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 pm

cloud wrote:...in a realisation that there is no self, there is also no enthusiasm to connect this self to the world.
I would suggest that you reconsider this 'realization' of no self. It is one thing to recognize that you are not what you 'think' you are. It is another, and way too often problematic, to adopt the belief that there is no self. It is common for those that do, to find them'selves' in difficult straits. Interest in worldly things drops off dramatically when one is in constant reminder that there is no one there to benefit from the adventures and explorations of a human self.

Compare that doctrine (and that's all it is) with the enlivening and energizing perspective of being truly alive and relevant. The no-self belief, in my estimation, is simply a bastardization of the more accurate understanding that we are not what we think we are. We are not an identification derived of thought. We are what we are - consciousness being with the ability to think thoughts, consider ideas, and make choices. But that consideration and ability does not come from the thoughts themselves, rather it comes from the consciousness that holds them.

Human consciousness, for each of us is a unique perspective within a Greater, more inclusive Consciousness. The perspective of humanness may not last forever but it is none the less an aspect of the Greater consciousness that is eternal. The human consciousness will not be destroyed when it's task is complete, it will simply awaken to its greater nature taking all that it is of value from its human exploration with it.

The point to remember here is that there is purpose in our human experience that serves the Greater Consciousness in its evolution and eternal expansion. And a key factor in that purpose is to explore life and relationships through the limited perspective of humanness.

You can't do anything wrong from the Greater perspective. You can however, cause your human self (perspective) pain by virtue of the choices you make - like assuming you don't exist as a self. The essence of you - your conscious beingness - is real and eternal. It is the self that transcends the mistaken belief in thought identification. Our belief in thought identity and separateness (not uniqueness) is what will eventually pass away when clarity comes and you awaken to your true nature.

Meanwhile human life is about exploration and adventure and discovering joy in the richness of being human.
I have followed the advice from other in a previous post in staying with this feeling but there are no pointers what to do after. I have some general interest but nothing like the enthusiasm and drive before! I do feel alot more peaceful and seem to have alot more free time, is it just the ego that says i should be doing something in this time or should i just sit there and expect some form of inspiration to arrive?
What is your desire? There's no crime in desires, regardless of what some often claim. They are as natural as growth itself. It is through desire that we explore experience. What is fun? Do some of whatever it is. Prime the pump so to speak, and inspiration will follow. Of course a steady practice of quiet openness to the flow of spirit and life energy coming through you will enhance and clarify that inspiration.

Follow your joy. Art, music, service, creativity in all its forms, are just a few of the endless avenues for engaging adventure in this physical world. Explore, experiment, love and appreciate the life and opportunity of being in the uniqueness of this moment. Life is beautiful and it's waiting for you.

WW

cloud

Post by cloud » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for the reply! It has been a great help and put a lot into perspective. I realised that is where the problem arises, when you view life through the conceptual idea that there is no 'me' rather than the experience!

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 pm

cloud -

Supporting WW's fine comments, Ken Wilber's book "Integral Life Practice" suggests that development in several "quadrants" such as social and psychological are also needed to fully integrate any spiritual growth.
This will broaden your path. So far it has been kind of vertical.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

alex

Post by alex » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:31 pm

I agree with WW. I'd also look deeply at the belief systems running, Byron Katie is great at explaining how to dismantle them.

cloud

Post by cloud » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:43 am

Sighclone wrote:Supporting WW's fine comments, Ken Wilber's book "Integral Life Practice" suggests that development in several "quadrants" such as social and psychological are also needed to fully integrate any spiritual growth.
Andy - i completely agree with this, i have realized that they are important aspects of everyday life that provides the richness for living. I think aswell the question of 'what now' arises mostly when we are viewing life through a single perspective, everything has no meaning and everything has every meaning!!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:49 pm

cloud wrote:I think aswell the question of 'what now' arises mostly when we are viewing life through a single perspective, everything has no meaning and everything has every meaning!!
Great insight. Individualized experience in life then is derived through whatever meaning one applies to the events and conditions that arise. We get to choose the meaning we wish to experience. We all have conditioning that gives a measure of automatic meaning/response, but we can also consciously choose a different meaning to apply that we prefer.

The origin of that preference of course, it the subject of the path to higher consciousness in human form.

WW