Random question: do animals have an ego?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Psychoslice

Re: Random question: do animals have an ego?

Post by Psychoslice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:43 am

We always must remember that we ourselves are animals, animals don't need a soul, and we don't either, we are in truth all there is, animals included.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 am

Psychoslice wrote:We always must remember that we ourselves are animals
Are we really that ?

:?:
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Long Time Seeker

Post by Long Time Seeker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 am

Phil2 wrote:
Are we really that ?

I find it strange that people see humans as being something special or different from other animals, or even different from plants and rocks. We are all made of the same thing and it seems to me that looking on ourselves as being different is more like wishful thinking than anything else. The concept of ego is one that we create for ourselves to say "look at me I can think so I must be better than everything around me" - but the wonder of what happens outside us is mind boggling in its complexity and the natural ability of everything that exists to do what it does is way beyond what any ego can achieve. To me everything that moves is life - and everything moves, whether we can see it or not - even the molecules/properties of rocks are changing/moving - maybe very slowly that humans can't perceive it, but moving nevertheless. So everything has life.

Does the ego have life - and what is the ego? To me it is nothing but a series of electrical impulses that have been aligned and repeated - like walking on a footpath that gets wider the more it is used - and those electrical impulses are triggered by experience as soon as we are born and get stronger as we grow. It doesn't exist in any way or form as anything that is as beautiful or complex as a flower, and insect in flight or a dog catching a frisbee - all which is done apparently without thinking. The electrical impulses have life, so the more electrical impulses there are the bigger the ego is.

Animals may learn to react as if they have an ego - often as a survival instinct - but it is nothing on the scale of the human ego - which is nothing more than a survival instinct that has grown way beyond what it was originally needed for when we were nothing more than some kind of animal swinging in the trees.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:32 am

Long Time Seeker wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
Are we really that ?

I find it strange that people see humans as being something special or different from other animals, or even different from plants and rocks. We are all made of the same thing and it seems to me that looking on ourselves as being different is more like wishful thinking than anything else.
Are you any of those forms ?

... or are you WHAT sees those forms ?

??
(Carl Jung)

Long Time Seeker

Post by Long Time Seeker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Long Time Seeker wrote:
Phil2 wrote: "We always must remember that we ourselves are animals"

Are we really that ?

I find it strange that people see humans as being something special or different from other animals, or even different from plants and rocks. We are all made of the same thing and it seems to me that looking on ourselves as being different is more like wishful thinking than anything else.
??
Imo we're all part of the same all seeing universe. We humans think we are seeing and recognising things - and we think that nothing else can - but that is just part of the human arrogance that thinks we are in some way special. Human beings are special and have evolved into a wonderful reflection of the universe with all its cause and effect attributes - but ultimately we are no more special than anything else that exists. Dogs, cats, insects even plants - anything that just 'is' - are experiencing the joy of existence too, but without the trappings of ingrained ego - so it could be said they are more special as they are unencumbered by the traps and pitfalls that humans' get into with their inflated egos. The human ego is just something that has become too prominent for its own good. It is part of something that needs to be removed - just like when we lost our tails that became unnecessary for our survival.............we evolved to lose our tails, so part of our evolution is to lose our egos as it is a remnant of our past history from when we evolved from tree born species to upright species. Tails, I think were an easy thing for evolution to deal with - the ego is proving a little more stubborn - but there seems to be an increasing understanding worldwide that this is a necessary step for human evolution.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Long Time Seeker wrote:
Phil2 wrote:
Long Time Seeker wrote:
??
Imo we're all part of the same all seeing universe. We humans think we are seeing and recognising things - and we think that nothing else can - but that is just part of the human arrogance that thinks we are in some way special. Human beings are special and have evolved into a wonderful reflection of the universe with all its cause and effect attributes - but ultimately we are no more special than anything else that exists.
ok I will say it otherwise:

Are you a human being or are you being/presence experiencing human form ?

??
(Carl Jung)

Long Time Seeker

Post by Long Time Seeker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Long Time Seeker wrote: Imo we're all part of the same all seeing universe. We humans think we are seeing and recognising things - and we think that nothing else can - but that is just part of the human arrogance that thinks we are in some way special. Human beings are special and have evolved into a wonderful reflection of the universe with all its cause and effect attributes - but ultimately we are no more special than anything else that exists.

??

I would say we are presence experiencing human form. The ego just gets in the way.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Long Time Seeker wrote:
Phil2 wrote:

??

I would say we are presence experiencing human form. The ego just gets in the way.
... yes and ego says: I am a human being, ie. a form, a body-mind ... this is identification with forms ... this is what ego is about ... a limited form ...
(Carl Jung)