Is Wanting Always Bad? And Lack of Motivation

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
deepocean

Is Wanting Always Bad? And Lack of Motivation

Post by deepocean » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:22 am

Is Wanting Always Bad?

I'm wondering if wanting is always bad? "I" understand that this body is not "me", not even "mine". But is the place I am at this moment. But since research have shown that having for example: Good health, should I not then want to achieve this? If eating food that cost more get me/help me achieve good health should I then not want to have more money? If a good bed helps me with this heavy back should I not then want to have more money? I feel like I don't need women to feel internalfulfillment or happines, but women give an effect on this brain that gives a good feeling, should I not want this or create chances for me and a women to meet?

I or my ego/persona? Would also be classified with a lack of motivation and a lack of ambition, and the reason would probably be because I feel an extreme feeling of happines and fullfilment (so there is nowhere for the ego to say "oh but if I do this! or if I get this! I'll finally be fullfilled!) and my understanding is that all my goals, ambitions to teach people How to live a happy and fullfilled life and all my opinions of right or wrong is basically ego. So I lack motivation. What is egoless motivation? I can't feel motivation nowhere for except having a good health.

Thanks to the creator of this forum and members
"Who Am I?"
Experience the answer.

peas

Re: Is Wanting Always Bad? And Lack of Motivation

Post by peas » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:29 am

There is no such thing as good or bad. How 'bout that?

Good or bad is added to any situation by the mind. Which is the same thing that wants.

Dilemma alert.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:07 am

This is how I see it: Wanting has a Divine purpose. It is the mechanism through which we explore life in this human experience. From life's higher perspective wanting is a very good thing. From the more relative perspective of the human mind, wanting can seem bad because of the potential emptiness and pain of unfulfilled desires. This is one reason why learning to cheerfully accept what is is valuable in enjoying the journey that is our human life.

WW

hanss

Post by hanss » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 am

deepocean wrote:Is Wanting Always Bad?

What is egoless motivation?
Inspiration? (In spirit...)
"In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."
(Eckhart Tolle)

deepocean

Post by deepocean » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:51 pm

It feels like it has clicked inside me, that wanting isn't inherently bad or good. It becomes what the mind makes of it. My mental and body conditioning respond positively to some stuff so I shall do those things, nothing wrong or right just a different experience.
"Who Am I?"
Experience the answer.

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:29 am

Wanting(desire) comes with an attachment of negativity - the feeling of lack, of not having enough, of incompleteness. And the actions taken to obtain the objects of desire are driven by negativity i.e. worry, anxiety, fear. Just as important, wanting requires time, and time is the space in which suffering manifests. Until you finally get what you want, you will suffer, because the negativity will manifest into anger, impatience, disappointment, stress or desperation. You could be wanting for a very long time, and therefore you would be suffering for a very long time. You could spend your whole life wanting(or rather, waiting for something that you think will make you happy), and thus be in a permanent state of unhappiness. My mum is a perfect example. She had wanted more money her entire life, and this had made her deeply unhappy her entire life.

In the state of presence, there is no time, no negativity, and no wanting. You realise what needs to be done, and you do it(or not), with no negativity behind your actions. If you need money to buy better quality food, or a better bed for your back, then take steps to obtain it. You are entirely at ease with not having money, you are entirely at ease with taking action(or not) to obtain money, you are entirely at ease with success or failure to obtain money. There is no worry, or anxiety, or feelings of lack or incompleteness, and because you are always in the now, there is no space(time) for suffering to manifest. The same thing applies to relationships.

Be present, and know this to be true.
Relax your face

AlohaFriends

Post by AlohaFriends » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 am

sardinelover wrote: If you need money ... then take steps to obtain it. .
Take realistic steps which means down to earth..Even when people apply for unemployment benefits they also have to report detail steps on how they look for a job---time, date, where and how they look for one.

If one wants a relationship---proceed from one's spirit, passion and joy. Not from a Childish mentality of hoping,whining and wanting somebody to give him/her something/love. .. . Even if you are already in a relationship, it’s still not something for you to think "I've got one".... Just relax and enjoy it in your child-like (not childish) spirit.

I don't think wanting is always bad. But wanting more than what one needs, or clinging to the desire when something is nowhere to be found is when queasy dissatisfaction creeps in.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:02 pm

sardinelover wrote: Just as important, wanting requires time, and time is the space in which suffering manifests. Until you finally get what you want, you will suffer, because the negativity will manifest into anger, impatience, disappointment, stress or desperation.
There is no worry, or anxiety, or feelings of lack or incompleteness, and because you are always in the now, there is no space(time) for suffering to manifest. The same thing applies to relationships.

Be present, and know this to be true.
Excellent post my friend :-)

Yes, when desire is projected, you immediately create psychological time, which is the distance between 'what is' (as it is now) and what 'should be' (some projected future state, some expectation) ... in this space there is suffering, which is a resistance to 'what is' ...

Better surrender to 'what is' and live in the present moment ... without creating time ... and worries ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)