Not wanting to work anymore

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
HiThere

Not wanting to work anymore

Post by HiThere » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi there,

I worked for myself from home for a few years, then got sick, felt depressed since I saw my goals disappear, decided to do everything I could to get healthy again (docs couldn't help), and now I am pretty much healthy again after almost 3 years. For some reason though, my part of the ego that wanted to earn a lot of money, buy a nice place, have friends etc is gone, and I also have trouble motivating myself for my job, while before I got sick this never was an issue. Should I accept this and quit that job, or are there ways I can make it work? Like I know what I am doing now has potential to make good money and my rationality tells me I have to keep doing it, but since it doesn't give much fulfillment I have trouble start doing it. Any advice? Like I don't wanna end up living with my parents forever or becoming homeless.

Thanks

peas

Re: Not wanting to work anymore

Post by peas » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:38 pm

HiThere wrote:Hi there,

I worked for myself from home for a few years, then got sick, felt depressed since I saw my goals disappear, decided to do everything I could to get healthy again (docs couldn't help), and now I am pretty much healthy again after almost 3 years. For some reason though, my part of the ego that wanted to earn a lot of money, buy a nice place, have friends etc is gone, and I also have trouble motivating myself for my job, while before I got sick this never was an issue. Should I accept this and quit that job, or are there ways I can make it work? Like I know what I am doing now has potential to make good money and my rationality tells me I have to keep doing it, but since it doesn't give much fulfillment I have trouble start doing it. Any advice? Like I don't wanna end up living with my parents forever or becoming homeless.

Thanks
Let me just list the issues raised in your one paragraph question, so that we can see a pattern here:
  1. A 'few years'
  2. Working for 'myself'
  3. Sickness
  4. Depressed
  5. Goals disappeared
  6. Do everything I could
  7. Get healthy
  8. Docs help-less
  9. 3 years
  10. Healthy again
  11. Materialistic goals = ego = gone
  12. Friends = ego = gone
  13. Unmotivated to work
  14. Compare with before
  15. Accepting how things are is optional
  16. Open to making things work
  17. 'Good' Money possibilities
  18. Rationality says keep going
  19. Work not fulfilling
  20. Trouble starting work
  21. Don't want to live with parents
  22. Don't want to be homeless
That's 22 issues in one paragraph! Woah!

Maybe start by looking at one thing at a time, without linking in so many variables. Expectations may be through the roof, in which case nothing you change will satisfy. It's as useful as moving the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Once you can identify what the main issue is, assuming there is acceptance that it is the way it is, then changes can be considered.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:19 pm

HiThere wrote: Should I accept this and quit that job, or are there ways I can make it work?
Please don't take anyone's advice to quit or not to quit your job. That is something that has to come from you, you will be the one that it impacts. Tolle sat on a park bench for 2 years, but I doubt anyone told him this was a good idea. He did it because he must have needed to for his own reasons. I would not suggest that route to anyone personally.
Like I know what I am doing now has potential to make good money and my rationality tells me I have to keep doing it, but since it doesn't give much fulfillment I have trouble start doing it.

Let's be honest, work is work, some like what they do and some are just accepting of the work they must do. I think the latter is more common, but that's my opinion only. Maybe some people can't wait to get out of bed in the morning, so they can go to work? I'd like to know their profession, so I can change careers...LOL.
I don't wanna end up living with my parents forever or becoming homeless.
This is a good motivator to go to work I think, even if you can just be accepting that you must work to live and pay bills. If true joy comes from it also, you will be one of the lucky ones in my opinion.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:18 am

Peas,
You said you found 22 issues in the OP's post. I do not see how- 'few years', Working for 'myself', Get healthy, 3 years, Healthy again, Accepting how things are, Open to making things work, 'Good' Money possibilities have anything to do with "issues"? Perhaps, you may have trouble reading paragraphs that link variables, for explanation purposes, to the subject at hand.

I found your post insensitive and lacking compassion to the OP.

peas

Post by peas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:12 am

What is compassion? To not offend, perhaps. Follow that through internally. You may find the blockage.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:21 am

peas wrote:What is compassion? To not offend, perhaps. Follow that through internally. You may find the blockage.
Compassion is the feeling of empathy for others. Compassion is the emotion that we feel in response to the suffering of others that motivates a desire to help.

But instead you said-
That's 22 issues in one paragraph! Woah!

peas

Post by peas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am

Here's compassion:

You are not upset about my words. There's something else psychologically going on here. But it's not the real you causing it. It's the collective conditioned mind, of which you have inherited a small piece. A mind that has been developed structurally for hundreds and thousands of generations. A mind that cannot cure itself.

You do not have to keep feeling the pain. It is like an artificial additive in your brain that causes an allergic reaction. All that's left is to stop searching outwardly, and the reaction will stop instantly. It stops on a dime because you are already complete. You are whole. Search no longer. Just look inwardly and it will all subside into silence.

That is all I can contribute. The rest is up to you.

That's true compassion: knowing the play of consciousness.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:45 pm

peas wrote:You are not upset about my words.
Actually, you don't even see/feel the hurt you cause, that is what I see. How do you think the OP felt after reading your first post? Or do you not even care?

Posts like your first one, are the kind of posts that stop newbies to this site, from posting in the future.

Stop "projecting and deflecting" from the situation at hand and own up, for once, to your own "issues".

peas

Post by peas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 pm

HiThere the being would feel at peace with what was written.

That is who I am writing to. Being to being.

The ego has had enough attention. It's time for a deeper conversation.

Same when I explained that you are not reacting to my words. There is something else conflicted in you that is simply asking for inward investigation.

Take no offence and you will feel no pain. That is the start of true compassion for your self.

peas

Post by peas » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm

I just read this story about Ramana Maharshi ('Bhagavan') and a devotee, and it fits nicely with what has been said in this thread:
A certain lady who had a lot of devotion performed a traditional ritual for worshipping sages whenever she came into Bhagavan's presence to have darshan. She would prostrate to Bhagavan, touch his feet and then put the hands that had touched Bhagavan's feet on her eyes. After noticing that she did this daily, Bhagavan told her one day, 'Only the Supreme Self, which is ever shining in your heart as the reality, is the Sadguru. The pure awareness, which is shining as the inward illumination "I", is his gracious feet. The contact with these [inner holy feet] alone can give you true redemption. Joining the eye of reflected consciousness [chidabhasa], which is your sense of individuality [jiva bodha], to those holy feet, which are the real consciousness, is the union of the feet and the head that is the real significance of the word "asi" ["are", as in the mahavakya "You are That"]. As these inner holy feet can be held naturally and unceasingly, hereafter, with an inward-turned mind, cling to that inner awareness that is your own real nature. This alone is the proper way for the removal of bondage and the attainment of the supreme truth.'

Source: http://www.davidgodman.org/interviews/rs1.shtml

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:46 pm

peas wrote:HiThere the being would feel at peace with what was written.
So, now you're telling him/her how to feel, by saying that if looked at from the absolute point of view there should be no issue with your post at all. :lol:
That is who I am writing to. Being to being.
Well, maybe you should have a disclaimer on your posts, that they should not be looked at from the human/relative perspective. You seem to have a real problem connecting with the human-ness in others. Remember, the world is illusion, Brahman alone is real, the world is Brahman.
The ego has had enough attention. It's time for a deeper conversation.
Then, perhaps, you should check yours at the door, your "enlightened" ego that is.
Same when I explained that you are not reacting to my words. There is something else conflicted in you that is simply asking for inward investigation.
By stating there is "something else" conflicted, is just your ego deflecting, once again.

Psychoslice

Post by Psychoslice » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 pm

It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it, being in two minds is only going to confuse use you, its best to do something totally, be it totally wrong or totally right.

peas

Post by peas » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 am

dijmart wrote:Then, perhaps, you should check yours at the door, your "enlightened" ego that is.
There is anger in the way you write. It's one thing to say, "I think you have a spiritual ego", but an entirely other thing to say, "You should check yours at the door." What are you so angry about? Is it not feeling enlightened?

That is entirely ok, if it is the case. In acceptance, these things lose their oxygen, and like a fire they die into the ashes.

Anger often arises from comparison, which is just a thought structure. An outward thought structure. Another reason to turn the mind inward, thereby starving the root thoughts of oxygen.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 am

peas wrote:
dijmart wrote:Then, perhaps, you should check yours at the door, your "enlightened" ego that is.
There is anger in the way you write. It's one thing to say, "I think you have a spiritual ego", but an entirely other thing to say, "You should check yours at the door." What are you so angry about? Is it not feeling enlightened?

That is entirely ok, if it is the case. In acceptance, these things lose their oxygen, and like a fire they die into the ashes.

Anger often arises from comparison, which is just a thought structure. An outward thought structure. Another reason to turn the mind inward, thereby starving the root thoughts of oxygen.
OMG, I give up trying to get through to you, it's impossible! You twist and contort, project and deflect and you don't get it and possibly never will.

Fore

Post by Fore » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 am

dijmart wrote: OMG, I give up trying to get through to you, it's impossible! You twist and contort, project and deflect and you don't get it and possibly never will.
Stop trying, just observe.

Be kind to yourself Dijmart, this forum can be an ego-grinder. :)