Not wanting to work anymore

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
peas

Re: Not wanting to work anymore

Post by peas » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:11 am

What does it really matter if I don't get what you are saying? What you observe in my posts is that I don't mind one way or another. You see, there is nothing to believe. And because of that, there is nothing to get upset about.

Zen masters used to test their students by doing something particularly annoying. Then, when the student got upset, they felt the lesson rather than just hear or read about it. There is no better feeling than anger!

Here are two Zen stories that point to these matters:
One day Mara, the Evil One, was travelling through the villages of India with his attendants. he saw a man doing walking meditation whose face was lit up on wonder. The man had just discovered something on the ground in front of him. Mara’s attendant asked what that was and Mara replied, “A piece of truth.”

“Doesn’t this bother you when someone finds a piece of truth, O Evil One?” his attendant asked. “No,” Mara replied. “Right after this, they usually make a belief out of it.”
Yamaoka Tesshu, as a young student of Zen, visited one master after another. He called upon Dokuon of Shokoku.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: “The mind, Buddha, and sentient beings, after all, do not exist. The true nature of phenomena is emptiness. There is no realization, no delusion, no sage, no mediocrity. There is no giving and nothing to be received.”

Dokuon, who was smoking quietly, said nothing. Suddenly he whacked Yamaoka with his bamboo pipe. This made the youth quite angry.

“If nothing exists,” inquired Dokuon, “where did this anger come from?”

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello HiThere,

I understand. It's really hard to simply do-what-you-do without the old motivations. My "old motivations" included; proving I was worthy, making a statement by what I did, superiority, and the list goes on. When those - very comfortable - beliefs and feelings started falling off I found it very difficult to function because my reasons for existence began to fall off.

However, if you can find a place where you CAN simply continue to function through this time period, new motivations will arise. Slowly, but they will arise. Feelings you might not even have previously contemplated, like love, a deep knowing towards your safety and security, peace and comfort with the way things are, and this list goes on too!

It seems like your in a good place for noticing these things.

Thanks for posting, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:27 pm

dijmart wrote:Peas,
You said you found 22 issues in the OP's post. I do not see how- 'few years', Working for 'myself', Get healthy, 3 years, Healthy again, Accepting how things are, Open to making things work, 'Good' Money possibilities have anything to do with "issues"? Perhaps, you may have trouble reading paragraphs that link variables, for explanation purposes, to the subject at hand.

I found your post insensitive and lacking compassion to the OP.
Yes I agree with you Dij, it is lacking compassion, and as you said it is the best way to make newcomers fly away from this forum ... maybe Peas did not realize that ?

??

Lack of awareness maybe :-)
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

peas

Post by peas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:58 am

Phil2 wrote:
Yes I agree with you Dij, it is lacking compassion, and as you said it is the best way to make newcomers fly away from this forum ... maybe Peas did not realize that ?

??

Lack of awareness maybe :-)
Perhaps.

Perhaps there is lack of compassion from you towards me.

Perhaps there is lack of awareness about my original post containing the direct answer of self enquiry.

How do we truly know where compassion and awareness reside?

It is only through our own intimacy that we can understand these matters.

Maire

Post by Maire » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 am

I don't think Peas is without compassion. I thought the following was constructive advice:

Peas wrote:
Maybe start by looking at one thing at a time, without linking in so many variables. Expectations may be through the roof, in which case nothing you change will satisfy. It's as useful as moving the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Once you can identify what the main issue is, assuming there is acceptance that it is the way it is, then changes can be considered.
And this:
You do not have to keep feeling the pain. It is like an artificial additive in your brain that causes an allergic reaction. All that's left is to stop searching outwardly, and the reaction will stop instantly. It stops on a dime because you are already complete. You are whole. Search no longer. Just look inwardly and it will all subside into silence.
Its a common habit to take all the current situations and issues of ones life and put them all together to make one miserable "self" out of them. Sometimes we even include situations that are not current and are long since passed. Focusing on one thing at a time is a good idea.

On work, here's an excerpt from an old book I have called "Real Magic" by the author Dr. Wayne Dyer (I recommend anything by this author, actually. He had this thing sussed long before Eckhart Tolle!)

A man who was ragged and appeared to be without anything in a physical sense came upon a road boss and said, "Can you help me? I need work."

The road boss said "Fine, take that large boulder over there and roll it up and down the hill. If you need work that will fulfill your need."

The man said, "You don't understand, what I really need is money."

The boss replied, "Oh, if it is only money that you need, here is fifty dollars. But you cannot spend it."

Again the man was perplexed. "You don't understand, what I really need is food and fuel and clothing, not just money."

The boss replied again, "If you are sure that this is what you need, then spend the money for food, fuel and clothing, but don't eat the food, or burn the fuel or wear the clothing."

The man was finally forced to look at what he really needed, which was a sense of security, peace and inner satisfaction. All totally invisible, all within the mind. All divine sustenance.

I know this type of advice seems to leave you ..... right where you are. I haven't totally solved these issues in my own life but when I look back I can see that every step or move I made was probably escaping one situation and then moving on to another which was just as bad in the long run. Ultimately every decision seems to be about finding something to identify with, from your job to your friends to your life partner. Its all about "I". Can't give you a final solution because I'm still trying to escape, myself.
I have lived with several zen masters - all of them cats. - Eckhart Tolle

Fore

Post by Fore » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Maire wrote: Can't give you a final solution because I'm still trying to escape, myself.
Instead of escaping yourself why don't you try and find a self, really look at what you believe to be the self.

SandyJoy

Post by SandyJoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Fore wrote:
Maire wrote: Can't give you a final solution because I'm still trying to escape, myself.
Instead of escaping yourself why don't you try and find a self, really look at what you believe to be the self.

Love this one -- thanks Fore --

Yes, find your self--go toward your self, be with your self, YOU Are the Way-- You are It --Only You-- <3 When the man Jesus says "I Am the Light the Truth and the Way" he is saying that is the Truth for YOU too-- You are the Light, the Truth and the Way-- Just he realized and shared in non-dual subjective words (which confused people, obviously) What that man spoke about himself he was speaking 'subjectively" about YOU too.

Living -- its about Living -- Not about escaping not about getting rid of your self-- You are It, you cannot be anything else or less. You can try, but you are still Here being You. Wherever You go there you are 8)
You are not finished, until you play in that meadow and live there. You can, you know. But only you can take yourself there.

Maire

Post by Maire » Thu May 01, 2014 1:08 am

Fore, I said "I'm still trying to escape, myself" not "I'm still trying to escape myself". A strategically placed comma can make all the difference. I meant that myself, personally, in my own life, I find I am still in that pattern of trying to escape one situation and searching for a new situation in the hope of fulfillment and peace. Your advice could still apply to me, however.

Eckhart differentiates between "life" and "life situation". We usually focus most of our attention on our "life situation" - the right job to suit our talents and personality, the right partner, etc. I think I've always been "moving the deck chairs on the Titanic". And my life situation could meet the same fate as it.

On the main topic, ideally your work should be something you love doing, something where you use whatever gifts, talents and abilities you have - then you would be motivated by more than just money and survival. But survival comes first. From Wayne Dyer again: "If you can't do what you love, then love what you do". Put your best into whatever job you do. Then spend some time improving your skills in what you would really like to do, what you feel is aligned with your true life purpose. Hopefully the right opportunities come your way. Along the journey you might end up changing direction and finding that what you thought you wanted is no longer your true purpose. The idea is to put attention, love and work into whatever we do. No one thing or even combination of things - career, partner, interests - can give us what we are searching for, that something to make us complete.
I have lived with several zen masters - all of them cats. - Eckhart Tolle