Identity change question

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
bobdylanfan

Identity change question

Post by bobdylanfan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi there I've been involved with resting as awareness quite intensely for two years and feel a huge shift in my life. I feel a lot of my negative traits like sarcasm and criticism have naturally fallen away and I see the goodness in people more and more. But my question is I feel I am quite charming , funny , good at making people feel comfortable and in worried these traits are gin a fall away aswell even tho they seem to really serve me and everyone else. I'd love go know your thoughts on this . Thanks a lot guys Xxxx

letitgo

Re: Identity change question

Post by letitgo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Hello bobdylanfan,

That's an awesome question that was really "funny and made me feel comfortable". I think those are excellent traits and if they DO fall away, you won't be too distraught.

I found that my humor and social abilities didn't go away, but they did change pretty drastically. My humor used to have an edge and kind of look for faults. I find that I can no longer be humorous if it - in any way - is to the detriment of another.

So you may have noticed this already, but you will probably lean more towards the traits that cause comfort. You are who you are, and we all have gifts. Not all our gifts are so wrapped in ego as to cause us to shed our last personality trait down to the bone - what fun would that be??

Thanks, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:14 pm

What you focus more on gets reinforced and more energized. What you focus less on weakens through being less energized. It's really that simple. Resistance of course is focus. Denial is focus. If it's in your thoughts, it's being focused upon. So it may take some mental discipline to get better focused. One way to do so is when those negative automatic reactions arise, choose to perceive them differently, in a better light.

Say for example, that a sarcastic thought arises that in the past you may have verbally expressed. Now, when you recognize it, rather than criticize yourself for having it, give yourself kudos for seeing it. Even if it gets by the filtering and you actually speak it, see it for what it was, acknowledge you new-found interest in improvement, and appreciate the step in the right direction. There is a lot of momentum in our established conditioning, and to overly criticize ourselves for negative expressions only makes it worse.

Look for and acknowledge every act of recognition as growth. The energy flowing into such a focus will produce excellent results in life improvement over time.

WW

peas

Post by peas » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 am

Charming, funny and making people feel comfortable is a matter of perspective. I have known people who say the same about themselves, but they are actually rather annoying to be around. It comes off as arrogant when someone thinks highly of them self. In your awareness, that you have been resting in for two years, take another look at these traits. Are they real? When did they start being 'noticed' by you or other people? Do these traits exist permanently, or do they come and go?

Feel free to answer these questions, in awareness, here on the forums. It could be helpful for others to witness your growing awareness in action.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Gotta hang on to your sense of humor, especially the ability to laugh at yourself. I find laughter comes and goes but never leaves for good.
Be present, be pleasant.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Onceler wrote:Gotta hang on to your sense of humor, especially the ability to laugh at yourself.
Yeah, sometimes I really crack myself up :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.

Psychoslice

Post by Psychoslice » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:07 am

If you are frightened of losing something you will never truly experience what is called enlightenment, when you realize your true self, you will become your true self, and if that includes the traits you like about yourself then that is what you will be, if that wasn't really you, and you were only clinging to them for whatever reason, then they will fall away from you, they were never truly you.

Fore

Post by Fore » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:31 am

My wife still thinks I'm an egotistical asshole.

Gosh, she hasn't changed a bit. :wink:

I always have and still have this special gift with the ladies. 8)