What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Post Reply
User avatar
dannydawiz
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 am

What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by dannydawiz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 am

Hey guys what are your thoughts on this quote?

The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral, which always is as it is.

I hear this quote and it makes so much sense to me. The only problem that I find is this.

If I ate mustard then I would consider it to be nasty.
If someone else ate mustard then they may find it to taste rather pleasant.

Even if I were to remove my thoughts from the situation it would still taste nasty in my experience.

I can't say that mustard is nasty though because it isn't universally nasty.

Is it my thoughts about the mustard that is making it nasty or is it the mustard that is actually nasty?

peas
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by peas » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:07 am

Just answer me this: are you eating mustard straight from the jar? Cause if so, that's a universal nasty! :wink:

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by Phil2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 am

dannydawiz wrote:Hey guys what are your thoughts on this quote?

The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral, which always is as it is.
I recommend this video from Mooji:

"Unhappy" is Just a Thought"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04XAG_KsHvg

"99 % of what you think is rubbish ... and the remaining 1 % is ... also rubbish" ... (Mooji)

"A thought without belief is nothing at all, a thought with belief can start a war"
(Mooji )

:-)

Do not believe your thoughts, don't let thought become a torture instrument ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

User avatar
Fore
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by Fore » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

The four causes for the arising of matter:

Food
Environment/atmosphere
A present mental reaction
A past mental reaction

User avatar
dannydawiz
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 am

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by dannydawiz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Phil2 wrote: "99 % of what you think is rubbish ... and the remaining 1 % is ... also rubbish" ... (Mooji)

"A thought without belief is nothing at all, a thought with belief can start a war"
(Mooji )

:-)

Do not believe your thoughts, don't let thought become a torture instrument ...
I understand that thoughts can be your worst enemy. At the same time though aren't thoughts necessary for survival?

If there are two people standing in front of a garage with a bomb on the inside and one person thinks that theres a bomb while the other person doesn't think there's a bomb, the person who doesn't believe that it's a bomb is going to walk into the garage and blow up.

If I thought that I was bad at something such as public speaking for example would that not be a fact if I had forgotten my words in 10 previous speeches?

Phil2
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by Phil2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:18 pm

dannydawiz wrote:
Phil2 wrote: "99 % of what you think is rubbish ... and the remaining 1 % is ... also rubbish" ... (Mooji)

"A thought without belief is nothing at all, a thought with belief can start a war"
(Mooji )

:-)

Do not believe your thoughts, don't let thought become a torture instrument ...
I understand that thoughts can be your worst enemy. At the same time though aren't thoughts necessary for survival?

If there are two people standing in front of a garage with a bomb on the inside and one person thinks that theres a bomb while the other person doesn't think there's a bomb, the person who doesn't believe that it's a bomb is going to walk into the garage and blow up.

If I thought that I was bad at something such as public speaking for example would that not be a fact if I had forgotten my words in 10 previous speeches?
Yes, your objection is correct Danny, this is why Eckhart Tolle makes a difference between thought bearing an identity (which Krishnamurti called 'psychological thought') and 'functional' or 'practical' thought which is used for practical purposes like preparing a dinner, driving a car or for solving a mathematical problem or for scientific research ... this last form of thinking does not bear an identity hence is not problematic ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

User avatar
smiileyjen101
Posts: 3788
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:44 am

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On This Quote?

Post by smiileyjen101 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 am

The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral, which always is as it is.
Being aware of your thoughts.... does not mean dismissing or denying them, just being aware of them. They are in relation to.. .but not necessarily true in reality, about the situation.

The thought I am bad at public speaking based on forgetting words 10 times does not take into account the many times one did not, or will not, forget words. Whether you forget words or not does not define who you are, not even as a speaker. Great public speakers forget words all the time - they just don't hold onto that as an indicator of their overall performance and they move on.

An ability, like public speaking can be affected by a thought turned into a belief - eg: I'm a bad public speaker because I forgot some words - really?
The neutral, the benign is I was speaking publicly and I forgot some words.

shock horror turn the hose on me and then whip me with it! I'm gonna die with embarrassment because everyone will now think I'm a total idiot and I've just proved it, gee I'm gonna make sure I never put myself in that situation again - that was so awful!!

Excuse me a moment, what was so awful - the forgetting words, or the thoughts about it?


or, if being aware of the actual 'is' more neutrally... hmm I forgot those words and that made me feel pretty uncomfortable ... maybe other words might have flowed more naturally, or maybe my mind was somewhere else when I was practising them, or maybe my mind was somewhere else - like wondering if I was a 'good' enough public speaker while I was delivering them....

Be aware of your thoughts... because thoughts create beliefs, that may not be the whole story.

In terms of public performance, often our thoughts and fears are not about our actual performance the 'content' that we are delivering, it's about what others will think about us based on our performance, as if they can accurately judge, and as if we could control that.

Pure performance, or authentic life just is what it is when it is, how it is.

Discerning likely natural consequences rather than making up flawed stories about a thing creates a different experience. Sure if one has an adverse reaction to mustard one can say hmmm, my taste buds and that substance seem not to be compatible - the 'is' is taste buds meet substance.

We might be discerning about about putting it in our mouth in future. And if one knows there is a bomb attached to a garage door handle then if one wants to preserve life one would choose other than opening the door. It's all pretty logical really.

Where your thoughts go so too does your perspective of reality, and often through fear we create the very situation that we fear.

I recall performing Smoke on the water, which 'normally' was performed by blokey heavy metal rock bands (inc the originals Deep Purple). I loved being in/with this song, as I am with music and rarely thought about gender divides that were quite a bit more entrenched then. And I tend to fall into the 'content' eg song/music rather than think about what anyone else is thinking about it while it's flowing.

However I did come to think about how audiences felt/thought about me performing it in particular when I heard and read in reviews etc that some folks were a bit 'surprised' at a 'chick' doing it, (and pulling it off) which was on one hand discriminatory ridiculous, but also 'just is' some people's perception. I realised that I had never really taken much notice of the fact that I was female in a pretty much overwhelmingly male 'domain' at the time.

Then one night at the front of the stage in a crowded, lively, alcohol & possibly drug fuelled venue there was a mob of bikies dancing and singing along with the band. When we started Smoke on the water and they cheered in recognition, I know while I was singing the chorus between verses one and two and they were enthusiastically singing along, I know I had the thought - wouldn't it be awful if I forgot the words in front of these guys (judgement about them > they're 'bikies' after all they smash places up if they get p*ssed off at something and they treat women like ...).

This was a rock 'anthem' of sorts at the time, everyone knew the words. Of course when the next verse came I could not for the life of me remember the words!!! I searched my brain high and low for them - nothing - nada - gone!! (talk about Murphy's Law!!)

But as you'd know music doesn't wait for anyone and a singer has to sing something, anything... which is what happened, words just came out following the melody of that song like they do in parodies, I just made them up - I can't really remember but I think it was something about ... (put this to the beat and the melody lol!!)
wou---ld...n't it be aw-ful.... if I forgot the words..

and on I went till the chorus, the song is about a band recording their music in Switzerland and sh*t happening anyway. The funniest thing though was that I was aware of all of this, all the funny layers of it, all at the same time, and keeping an eye on the bikies in the audience who didn't react as I thought they could at all, they just sang along with my new words as if I was singing a verse they just hadn't heard before and I was teaching them. My thoughts about them were also just that - thoughts.

It was genuinely hilarious watching it all on one level of awareness while the body parts were performing within it all, the song & the thoughts. Afterwards with the bikies cheering, I was laughing (relieved) and one of the band members asked what happened? I said I actually talked myself into forgetting the words in front of these guys by being scared that I would.

That, is the truth. I did.
But it wasn't awful, it just was what it was.

So, apply the quote to that situation -
The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.
Unhappiness includes prejudices, fears, resistances to what is.

Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking.
Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral, which always is as it is.
(recognising you're a muso Danny, (and the seventies were last century lol!!) here's the original.. and their 'audience' is a lot tamer than mine was :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mCK05dgwgU)
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

Post Reply