I am having headaches

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
gavra

I am having headaches

Post by gavra » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am

Hello..
I started to read the power of now. As I am observing my mind, and noticing my thoughts i feel like i overuse my energy and i experience moderate headache.

I am actually not sure at all that this "awareness" state is causing my headaches, but i suspect on it. Has anybody experienced something similar?

peas

Re: I am having headaches

Post by peas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Firstly, a disclaimer: this is not a replacement for seeing a doctor, which you should do, even if it is simply a precaution.

I did have headaches on the journey. They stayed sometimes for days. Sometimes just an hour. Probably a total of 6-10 individual occurrences.

When I described their intensity to people, it was suggested to me that they were migraines. I had never had migraines before these headaches, nor since.

They were just one of the physical things I experienced. Another really obvious one was pain in my neck.

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Fri May 02, 2014 3:14 am

You are experiencing headaches because you are trying too hard. :)

Don't focus on your thoughts - this is the very reason for the headaches - your mind should be passive, not focused. It is a gentle process. Just be aware of the voice(s) in your head whenever you 'hear' it throughout the day. Pay attention to whatever activity that you are doing, but in the back of your mind, be aware of the voice whenever it arises. Every time that you hear the voice, you become aware, become conscious of what is really going on inside of you.
Relax your face

gavra

Post by gavra » Fri May 02, 2014 10:35 am

Yeah, that might be the case : )

peas

Post by peas » Sun May 04, 2014 12:56 am

Consider this. Turn every light on in your house, even cupboard lights and vanity lights. Plug in every appliance so that every electrical point is taken. Turn on all those appliances simultaneously.

You'll no doubt short circuit the whole place.

Then do the opposite. Operate on candles for light, fire for cooking and hand wash your clothes.

It'll take a while for your eyes to adjust to reading by candle. Food will take longer to cook. Moving around the house at night will take some practice. The electricity company will think you've rigged the meter!

It's to be expected that a brain will experience physiological change after the shift of awareness, given that it has been over active for so many years, generating wasteful thoughts by the 10's of thousands per day, and awareness has this amazing effect of grinding most of that to a fairly sudden halt.

The other analogy is driving a car at top speed, then slamming on the brakes. That baby is gonna hurt!

Fore

Post by Fore » Sun May 04, 2014 2:14 am

gavra wrote:Hello..
I started to read the power of now. As I am observing my mind, and noticing my thoughts i feel like i overuse my energy and i experience moderate headache.

I am actually not sure at all that this "awareness" state is causing my headaches, but i suspect on it. Has anybody experienced something similar?
Most believe that thoughts and awareness are in the head, this is probably because the senses(eyes, ears....) are located there.
It is most likely as sardinelover suggests that you are trying to hard, you are possibly using much effort to focus awareness(not sure what method you are using?) This is common for most within the tradition that I practice when first beginning, I would often try to feel the sensations in the head and I would out of habit be using my eyes to look there, this created headaches. I have since then learned to feel the different parts of the body without focusing my eyes on the individual parts. This has led to a much more effortless concentration and I can feel the thought-formations effortlessly with greater clarity.

Mind is not in the head but in every sub-atomic particle. Sometimes I would observe the headache, and sometimes I would stop observing and take a break, in time I learned to find a working balance and now no longer get headaches.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:47 am

Fore wrote:
Mind is not in the head but in every sub-atomic particle.
Yes, mind (intelligence, awareness) is like space, it is nowhere and everywhere ... it is unmanifested, formless ... it is emptiness, nothingness ... but it contains all forms ... and its existence cannot be negated ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

gavra

Post by gavra » Sun May 04, 2014 11:42 am

I noticed that I do look around my body with my eyes too, even when they are closed, i move my eyeballs to the part of the body I concentrate on, while meditating for example. Interesting thing, i would try to stop doing that.
Now for the thoughts, I'm not negating what you've said, but from my point of view - aren't thoughts stored in the memory of brain? And all of those patterns from the past ( that we are trying to free ourselves of ). On the other hand awareness, being, true self, presence, god, whatever you want to call it is a thing that I consider by " like space, it is nowhere and everywhere ... it is unmanifested, formless ... it is emptiness, nothingness ... but it contains all forms ... and its existence cannot be negated ... " And that isn't in the head definitely. Just my opinion.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:53 pm

gavra wrote:
Now for the thoughts, I'm not negating what you've said, but from my point of view - aren't thoughts stored in the memory of brain? And all of those patterns from the past ( that we are trying to free ourselves of ). On the other hand awareness, being, true self, presence, god, whatever you want to call it is a thing that I consider by " like space, it is nowhere and everywhere ... it is unmanifested, formless ... it is emptiness, nothingness ... but it contains all forms ... and its existence cannot be negated ... " And that isn't in the head definitely. Just my opinion.
Right. When we observe the flow/process of thought we can see that thought is made of 2 'phases':

1) there is this "voice in the head" as Eckhart called it (this voice might be associated with some mental images too)

and

2) there is a gap of silence between two successive thoughts, before a new thought (voice) arises

Now, during the appearance of the "voice in the head" (and most of us think this "voice" is "me" speaking, they 'identify' themselves with this voice), it can be said that there is no awareness, because all our attention is taken/captured by this voice ... this is why it is said that we are inattentive when we think, all our attention is directed inwards and we are no more attentive to outer manifestations ...

Then, when thought ends, there is a gap of silence, and this is where awareness (which is also intelligence) appears ... in this gap the meaning of the thought (voice) is examined and seen, in this silence ... and in this silence, the effect of thought on our emotion is also felt/sensed ... in other words our emotional reaction to this thought can be observed, and this emotional state is determinant for the appearance of the next thought ...

This is why it can be said that only our heart is really intelligent, and this is also the Secret of the Fox as described by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry in his book "The Little Prince":

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprinc ... ter21.html

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Now to come back to our discussion and your comment, the "voice in the head" clearly takes place in the brain as a reaction of memory, while awareness (or intelligence) which appears in those gaps of silence (but which is also the permanent background in which all forms appear, like silence is always there behind the noises), this awareness is like space and does not reside in any physical place ... it is unmanifested and formless ... and this awareness is our formless essence ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Fore

Post by Fore » Sun May 04, 2014 10:05 pm

gavra wrote:I noticed that I do look around my body with my eyes too, even when they are closed, i move my eyeballs to the part of the body I concentrate on, while meditating for example. Interesting thing, i would try to stop doing that.
Yes, this is what seems very common when people begin meditating. People also seem to stop doing this as ones practice matures. Just remember to be kind to yourself, you can push through some difficulties but don't get discouraged when you need a break. After about a year of continuous practice this looking with the eyes was not necessary in my case. You may also have some sessions with tongue pressed into upper mouth, teeth gritted together, and eyes squinted shut. Again we each need to develop in strong determination but we each need to know our limitations. Working to hard and one creates ego, not working hard enough and one suffers from sloth and torpor.