Ego And Self-Promotion

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
SamDaviesCoach

Ego And Self-Promotion

Post by SamDaviesCoach » Wed May 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I joined in the hope someone could answer a question I had. I love Eckhart's work and am always conscious of my ego. The problem I currently have is I'm a self-employed coach and want to promote myself, but feel conflict: how can I self-promote in a way that isn't egoic. Am I creating "otherness" when I do it? Has anyone else had this problem?

postwins

Re: Ego And Self-Promotion

Post by postwins » Wed May 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Howdy.

In my opinion, there is no conflict between awareness and self-promotion here.

The ego is functioning as it should (coming up with ways to self-promote, ensuring that you have a good situation in the physical sense) right up until the point where it creates conflict by coming to the conclusion that self-promotion is an "egoic" activity and judging itself negatively. It is certainly an egoic activity, but not one that creates conflict for yourself or others.

My experience lately has been to simply let my mind go on autopilot unless it is creating suffering for itself or for the ego of others. Then it is time to put the spotlight on whatever it is doing and thus dissolve that pattern, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the spotlight absorbs that pattern into awareness.

Hopefully this perspective helps you.

- Jason
One problem, one solution.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm

SamDaviesCoach wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I joined in the hope someone could answer a question I had. I love Eckhart's work and am always conscious of my ego. The problem I currently have is I'm a self-employed coach and want to promote myself, but feel conflict: how can I self-promote in a way that isn't egoic. Am I creating "otherness" when I do it? Has anyone else had this problem?
Ego is mostly about identification with/as thought. Promoting your skills to help others does not necessarily mean you identify with/as those skills, it could just as well mean they are inclusive in your understanding of life and you are offering to share them in a professional context. The thing is, is that you get to choose what anything, and everything, means to you. How you choose what conditions and events mean to you, determines your experience of those conditions and events.

Don't confuse ego with personality. A fully inclusive consciousness can well have a unique personality and likely does. Ego, because it is more related to identification with thought, is more likely to be an isolating factor in one's perspective, as it tends to be more exclusive in many of its perceptions than it is inclusive of them.

WW

davemill

Post by davemill » Thu May 15, 2014 2:58 am

SamDaviesCoach wrote: I'm a self-employed coach and want to promote myself, but feel conflict: how can I self-promote in a way that isn't egoic.
Small tip to start: Talk about your customers when you promote: talk about "you" and not "I". Make it all about their issue, their life, their potential.
I'm a Dad.

viking55803

Post by viking55803 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Eckhart Tolle has made the point that if there was no purpose for the egoic mind, it wouldn't exist. Ego is not the enemy, but a hungry ghost! The ego loves goals, plans, agendas, rewards, recognition etc. That's okay.

I think the message is to dis-identify with the ego agenda. In other words, don't allow the ego to convince you that you will be a better person or a happier person once you achieve your goal. At the same time, the ego can serve an "executive" and organizing function for your outer life. ET understands this very well and never discourages people from doing what they need to do to put food in their mouths.

As an elder I can report that I have been more successful in life than I imagined I would be, and achieved virtually every goal I've set for myself. However, none of those achievements created lasting satisfaction or happiness for me. I have been very fortunate to have been able to work toward goals that were about creating a better, healthier life for others. I never pursued those goals for personal aggrandizement or wealth or even recognition, so I was not expecting a reward. Just being able to make a living helping others is a great blessing! It sounds like that's your goal too, and pursue it from a place of presence your achievements will not belong to your ego and feed it.

That's how I see it this morning.

Gary

Tucker

Post by Tucker » Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Self-promotion is a funny by-product of the world of form. You can laugh at yourself for how ridiculous you feel or sound when you do it.

Stick to the facts about what you can do, not comparisons with others. Self-promotion can be a great way to spread presence, and you'll probably be most effective if you use it that way, as people will like you and feel good around you and not know why.

It can be easy to devolve back to ego if someone is not buying what you're selling, or worse, everyone's buying what your selling. So be aware of that if it happens.