To stop the voice or watch?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
pbale

To stop the voice or watch?

Post by pbale » Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 am

Hope all is well everybody, I was curious as to whether one realises the inner voice and stops it or if one lets the inner voice chatter but simply watches it? When I become aware of image thoughts they seem to dissolve straight away, but my biggest challenge is this voice.

postwins

Re: To stop the voice or watch?

Post by postwins » Sun May 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Howdy. I will offer this opinion, as I have been having great success with techniques like the one that you describe.

I certainly would not try to "stop" anything. This will create a constant conflict for sure, where really your ego is trying to get another part of your ego to shut up. The experience that you describe where "image-based" thoughts dissolve instantly will eventually be your experience for the "voice-based" thoughts. When a "voice-based" thought creates suffering for you, often there will be an accompanying emotion. Perhaps focus your attention on these emotions instead of the thought. In my experience, often emotions precede the thoughts, especially in the case of "craving" drugs or alcohol.

Also, don't forget about inner body meditation. Holding awareness of the inner body pretty much brings the "voice" to a halt for me. If it re-emerges, you may feel frustrated. Watch the frustration and gently bring your awareness back to the inner body.

Eckhart said, and I'm paraphrasing, "The only measurement of success that you need is the degree of peace that you feel within."

Good luck, blessed be.

- Jason
One problem, one solution.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:42 pm

When you watch those inner voices, they disappear ... because thought and awareness (attention) are mutally exclusive ... one cannot subsist with the other ... when one is the other is not ... thought can only happen in inattention ... because thought 'captures' all our attention ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Mariposa

Post by Mariposa » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Trying to stop it might result in more conversations, let it be there, don't fight it. You can be the space for it.

:)

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:36 pm

It's not possible to stop thoughts, what the sufferer ends up doing is merely labeling certain thoughts as undesirable or dangerous. This triggers a nervous response which creates more anxious thoughts. This viscous cycle acts like a positive feedback loop. In other words, you get more of what you don't want!

The same can be said for sensations or physical feelings. If you try and stop a nervous twitch, you end up getting more frequent twitching... Because you label it as undesirable.

If you forget about thoughts and don't label them as unwanted they usually don't persist long.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Tue May 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Interesting: Phil says watch the inner voices and they will disappear; Ashley says ignore the inner voices and they will disappear.

Assuming these approaches work as described for Phil and Ashley, they represent two opposite and equally effective means to the same end.

The moral of the story: Each person needs to find his or her own key.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

davemill

Post by davemill » Wed May 28, 2014 12:11 am

rachMiel wrote:Interesting: Phil says watch the inner voices and they will disappear; Ashley says ignore the inner voices and they will disappear.
ET has written extensively on this topic. I often give Practicing the Power of Now as a gift to friends who want to silence the voice.

Simply become the Watcher, observe the voice, and the voice dissolves. Do not comment on the voice; that is the voice commenting. Do not resist; that sets up inner conflict and gives the voice many options to return.
I'm a Dad.

Clouded

Post by Clouded » Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 am

Whatever you do, don't mistaken these voices to be you, as in the authentic you!! It's just your brain doing its job and that is to constantly try to figure out stuff and sometimes it can come up with some pretty dumb conclusions.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Wed May 28, 2014 2:12 pm

When you are aware of thought, it usually subsides quickly. But sometimes thought goes on and on, taking it's sweet time. :)

But that is not a problem. You can be at peace and at ease when thought is absent, AND you can be equally at peace and at ease when thought is present. Why? Because you are stillness. Stillness is your very nature. You are the still, silent watcher of the thoughts.

Awareness of thought, even if it doesn't stop, is very satisfying. So there is no need to make stopping thought into a goal. The thoughts are there for you to enjoy, as long as you are aware of them, and not lost in them. :)
Relax your face

davemill

Post by davemill » Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm

sardinelover wrote:Awareness of thought, even if it doesn't stop, is very satisfying. So there is no need to make stopping thought into a goal. The thoughts are there for you to enjoy, as long as you are aware of them, and not lost in them. :)
In my case, it's nearly binary: either the thoughts are under my direction, to accomplish a task (a good thing, for which the mind was intended), or they are uncontrolled ego-manifestations taking me to the disappeared past or the unknown future. ET's books are so appealing because they describe my mind so well.
I'm a Dad.

pbale

Post by pbale » Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I realise I just need to watch. I think recent exam stress has caused my mind to be on rapid fire however I'm re-reading the power of now and it's making more sense. Thanks again....

ashley72

Post by ashley72 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:05 pm

rachMiel wrote:Interesting: Phil says watch the inner voices and they will disappear; Ashley says ignore the inner voices and they will disappear.

Assuming these approaches work as described for Phil and Ashley, they represent two opposite and equally effective means to the same end.

The moral of the story: Each person needs to find his or her own key.
The inner voice doesn't stop. Eckhart Tolle still has a functioning inner voice or narrator of events in time & space.

What I'm referring to in my earlier response is "intrusive" thoughts... Which is any kind of thought which seem inappropriate to a situation and becomes obsessive like in the case of someone suffering with OCD. The thought might be upsetting and cause a nervous response or even a craving.

These kinds of intrusive thoughts cannot be stopped by forcibly trying to wish away, or using distraction techniques or avoidance. Any kind of forced strategy will lead to more intrusive thoughts because in doing so labels the thought as "dangerous" and this will just lead to more thought intrusion.

Intrusive thoughts arise differently to other thoughts, they are triggered by fear or craving responses. So if you treat the intrusive thought as dangerous or unwanted you actually triggered anxious thoughts around the intrusive thought. This can lead to more confusion & helplessness on the sufferers part, because the sufferer feels trapped by a dysfunctional Mind.

Understanding is the key. The sufferer is being tricked into treating something as dangerous. When it isn't dangerous. Intrusive thoughts are merely a discomfort.... and the more you treat intrusive thoughts as merely discomfort and something to be tolerated the less likely you are going to trigger anxious thoughts because of the intrusion.

I'm talking from personal experience.... I've suffered with these disorders and triumphed over them because of a deep understanding about the way they first trick & then trap you. :wink:

If you really want to understand why & how intrusive thoughts trick & trap you....check out http://www.anxietycoach.com