Are names spiritual?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Maringa

Are names spiritual?

Post by Maringa » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi,

I know I'm bombing this forum with my questions, but I'm just in this very curious and investigative mood. The more I read, the more I LEARN, the more I want to know!

So, my recent question is about names. Many spiritual people choose to change their names, for whatever reason. Tolle did that aswell. Why? They start to feel a certain affinity with a new name, they don't feel comfortable with their given name. Why? Does a name even matter that much?

My real name is Martina. I have never liked it, and always felt a strong affinity for the name "Lila". Would it matter to be, or my spiritual path if I changed my name? I'm still me? Is there some kind of momentum or power in a name? If I choose a name that I don't like at all... like Bernadette, would that have any impact on me?

W/Love and good thoughts :)

sardinelover

Re: Are names spiritual?

Post by sardinelover » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:21 am

Are names spiritual?

No. :)
Relax your face

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 am

I would agree with sardinelover. No.

However, there must be a strong impulse to change ones name after a complete transformation of ones outlook and sense of self. Maybe on some level using the same name for a completely different person is somehow false, or at least not as true.
Be present, be pleasant.

Yidaki

Post by Yidaki » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:06 am

Interesting question and one I was wondering about myself.

Names are not spiritual, however, they may point to a spiritual essence. Maybe that is why spiritual teachers change their names?
"Wisdom comes with the ability to be still. Just look and just listen. No more is needed." ~ Eckhart Tolle

the key master

Post by the key master » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:05 pm

I guess it depends. There's this guy Nisargadatta Maharaj who's dead now but he changed his name to Nisargadatta which translates into 'naturally given'. His original name was Maruti which was actually a Hindu god, so his change could be considered a downgrade along spiritual lines.
Is there some kind of momentum or power in a name?
Yea sure there can be. Adyashanti is far more catchy than Stephen Gray right? Especially to spiritual peeps into that sorta stuff.
Bernadette, would that have any impact on me?
I think it might. What would your nickname be, Bernie? It might affect your online dating profile is all I'm saying. Regardless, I;m changing my name to Rodriguez and moving to Mexico. Adios muchachos!

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Never really thought about it. However, my name is Diana, I just looked it up and the biblical and american meaning behind the name is luminous and perfect. The french meaning is Greek goddess of the moon. So, would I ever change it? Nah, sounds pretty good to me :lol:

Oh and Michael Jackson wrote "Dirty Diana" and I just love that song :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.

viking55803

Post by viking55803 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:50 pm

I created a name specifically for making art. Let me explain.

For many years I was an aspiring fiction writer, eventually published, which is the goal of the "aspiring" writer. Unfortunately, in the process I exposed my creative writing in a working group led by a well-known author. Criticism of creative work tends to energize the ego: it responds to criticism in a couple of different ways. First, the ego may tell you that the critic is simply wrong or full of crap and you will prove them wrong by your success. Alternately, it will tell you to work harder to push your work beyond the criticism, in other words, please the critic. Either way, the creative process itself is now serving the ego. This can be a creativity killer. My experience was to enter the painful world of writer's block, brought about by the "editor in my head" questioning every word choice, punctuation mark etc.

To me for example, the term "creative goal" is an oxymoron. Goals are ALWAYS egoic, goals are mental structures after all, and true creativity arises from inner stillness, presence. Creativity can be and often is used in service of an ego agenda. "I'll take that beautiful piece I wrote and sell it, make my reputation etc. etc." Still, it can feel like a form of prostitution to use your creative efforts to serve an ego agenda.

The solution for me was really quite simple when I switched my efforts from writing to visual art (painting, drawing, sculpting.) Only a handful of people - my spouse, my daughter, my niece and maybe two other people - even know that I make art at all. I don't show it, I don't sell it, I have no desire to be seen as an "artist" - I simply make art. I gave my spouse complete control and ownership over whatever I produce. She can do whatever she wants with it - sell it, save it, give it away, burn it - I don't care. By the way, storage has become a bit of a problem - I have been rather prolific. Occasionally I will ask her if she wants to keep a piece and, if not, I'll simply paint over it and recycle the canvas - a win-win!

In order to add another layer of dissociation from my art, I created a name for the "artist." This is a common thing, even among writers, but for me it is an added layer of dissociation and freedom that I find essential for my creative process. I work as what is called an "outsider" in the art world.

For me, art is a spiritual practice and a form of play. It is not "good" or "bad" art. A New Yorker cartoon recently showed a large pumpkin standing by an easel, paint and brushes strewn about, with someone like an art critic standing looking at the painting (which we can't see.) The pumpkin says "Do you mean good, or good for a pumpkin?" Therein lies the problem - you get no feedback from others. It is the act of creation itself that is intrinsically valuable. I am a pumpkin who never asks that question. On the other hand, where is the feedback from ANY spiritual practice other than the practice itself?

If you have ever practiced creative expression, you may understand it when I say that once a work is complete, it is not "you" but has a life of its own. In fact, when we have periodically needed to sort through my work it doesn't even seem as if "I" created it at all. Creativity and art come from some other place.

So, I have another name for the artist. It is him that does the art, not me. It helps create for me the absolute freedom of expression that is the fundamental requirement of pure creativity.

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:11 pm

viking55803 wrote:I gave my spouse complete control and ownership over whatever I produce. She can do whatever she wants with it - sell it, save it, give it away, burn it - I don't care. By the way, storage has become a bit of a problem - I have been rather prolific. Occasionally I will ask her if she wants to keep a piece and, if not, I'll simply paint over it and recycle the canvas - a win-win!
Hi, just wondered if you ever thought about donating your art to Goodwill or Salvation Army (that's what they're called in the US). That is if you're making so much that you don't want it or don't want to store it, but don't really want to paint over it either. Poor folks don't have much opportunities to buy good artwork. Just a thought. :D

viking55803

Post by viking55803 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:55 pm

Yes, my wife and I have discussed this. Again, I have turned this over to her. Some of it seems to be precious to her, which is fine. My only rule is that she cannot comment on a work until it is complete (she walks through my studio every day) although occasionally I will ask her if she thinks I should "go further" with a work. Knowing when to stop is sometimes difficult.

What I have suggested is that it be donated to a local group in my community that serves homeless individuals. They are a terrific organization and may be able to auction it off at some point. Even if someone paid $5 to reuse a canvas, it would be $5 put to good use.

But your suggestion is a good one!

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:57 am

viking55803 wrote:Yes, my wife and I have discussed this. Again, I have turned this over to her. Some of it seems to be precious to her, which is fine. My only rule is that she cannot comment on a work until it is complete (she walks through my studio every day) although occasionally I will ask her if she thinks I should "go further" with a work. Knowing when to stop is sometimes difficult.

What I have suggested is that it be donated to a local group in my community that serves homeless individuals. They are a terrific organization and may be able to auction it off at some point. Even if someone paid $5 to reuse a canvas, it would be $5 put to good use.

But your suggestion is a good one!
I use to do oil painting, mostly landscape/ocean type, it was fun, but I didn't have any room to keep as a studio. So, I had to set up, paint until it was finished, clean up all in one stretch. Anyways, my husband picked his favs and we hung some up. But trying to keep them all was...unrealistic for us, we don't have anywhere to put them really. So, I took pictures of them and asked friends/family if they wanted one. I gave most of the ones we didn't keep away doing it that way, however some people liked the same one so I repainted a few about the same so they could have one. I never thought of giving them to goodwill back then, so the fact you've thought of a group doing an auction for the homeless is a great idea- if your wife approves, that is. :D

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 am

On the OP, 'words' have associated and natural resonance (energy) and names are just words used frequently when referring to self, or in recognising self.

So the resonant energy of things become interpreted.

In terms of numerology studies resonances can be changed with changes to names. A quick example is that Barbara Streisand had an over abundance of numero ones - one being the 'self expression' energy. Under guidance she removed the second 'a' in her name to Barbra - if you say the two out loud with full awareness of the syllables Bar-bar- ra / bar-brer -- you will hear the difference, but do you feel the difference?

Is this spiritual?
Not really it's just energy in motion being interpreted and creating a response to that interpretation. (as are all things)
When you 'hear' Martina, what do you interpret? Close your eyes, say it out loud and 'feel' the full interpretation.
When you 'hear' Lila, what do you interpret?

You'll probably find skerics of fear in the interpreting of Martina - and it makes sense as people with 'seeming' authority and strangers would use your formal name, and people who know and love you would use your preferred name, so they reinforce the interpretation of what each of them mean for and about 'you'.

Ultimately we all have one name.
And that name is love. :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen

viking55803

Sorry - Another Comment about Art

Post by viking55803 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:16 am

If you haven't seen it, you should take a look at Andy Goldsworthy's art. He creates from natural materials where they are found, and allows the forces of nature to dismantle his art. He photographs it, and in a sense that may be his art - but the idea that a work of art is truly temporary, as are all physical forms, is a beautiful statement in itself. Just like lives, human made art has a lifespan. Goldworthy's art has a shorter life span than most.

Here is a website with some examples of his work:

http://www.morning-earth.org/ARTISTNATU ... orthy.html