Automating presence in daily life

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Plumcake

Automating presence in daily life

Post by Plumcake » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:07 am

Hi,

can presence be automated in daily life?
I practise mindfullness meditation for years & later Tolle-like presence, but it seems to doesnt get automated.
I always need to remind (!) myself of this in my life and "shift down a gear", 50 times a day.

Greetings
Plumcake

the key master

Re: Automating presence in daily life

Post by the key master » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:06 pm

What is automated in your life is your thinking, and in this case, the need to remind yourself to shift down 50 times a day. What is present in the presence or absence of your automated thinking is Presence. The need to remind yourself is optional.

Now, this isn't to say reminding yourself to be present 50 times a day doesn't have the effect of making you feel more present. You remind yourself to be present, you stop thinking(i imagine anyway), and voila, you're more present. But then you start thinking again and imagine you have to stop that to be present, which basically means the only way to be present all the time is to never think, which is a recipe for a mind split sandwich.

The point is presence can't be absent. You don't need to automate it because if you do, you're simply watching your automatic mind playing a presence game with itself. I had it, I lost it, I need to go out and find it. The idea that it goes missing is the cause of all the mayhem, and it just isn't true.

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:15 pm

But in my imagination, with more and more practise in beeing present, this presense will get a default mode. That I can "hold"'/ be it without effort. And that I have to remind myself less and less. (you know what I mean^^)
But there is no training effect to me.

So what to do^^?

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:08 pm

the key master wrote:The point is presence can't be absent.
Presence in the sense of being here/now can never be absent, ja.

But presence in the sense of being consciously "with" whatever happens to be manifesting in this moment can certainly go awol. That's the whole point of presence-deepening practices, afaiu: To increase your conscious awareness of what-is.

For me, the verdict is still out whether cultivating conscious awareness is necessary for awakening. Sometimes it feels very right, like the world unfolds with crystal clarity before me. Other times, it feels like an obstacle to simply being.

How'z it for you KM?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:53 am

Your 'shift down a gear' notion is interesting plumcake, is / could that be the same as lifting / releasing the layers of fears and ego that cloak us from what is?
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

the key master

Post by the key master » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am

Plumcake wrote:But in my imagination, with more and more practise in beeing present, this presense will get a default mode. That I can "hold"'/ be it without effort. And that I have to remind myself less and less. (you know what I mean^^)
But there is no training effect to me.

So what to do^^?
Yea, I know what you mean. Lots of folks get into that default mode and then they get all spiritually googly eyed, which is about the time I run for the hills.

the key master

Post by the key master » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:57 am

rachMiel wrote:
the key master wrote:The point is presence can't be absent.
Presence in the sense of being here/now can never be absent, ja.

But presence in the sense of being consciously "with" whatever happens to be manifesting in this moment can certainly go awol. That's the whole point of presence-deepening practices, afaiu: To increase your conscious awareness of what-is.
When it goes awol and you're conscious of that just reverse the dynamic. Invite what's resisted. In this way you aren't increasing your conscious awareness of what is but eliminating unconscious awareness of what's not, a separate person.
For me, the verdict is still out whether cultivating conscious awareness is necessary for awakening. Sometimes it feels very right, like the world unfolds with crystal clarity before me. Other times, it feels like an obstacle to simply being.

How'z it for you KM?
Cultivation as I see the word is really just about cultivating mind states, while I would say awakening is seeing through the idea that awareness is in one of those states. A more present experience is nice. It just has very little to do with waking up from the dream of your more present experience. One could make the argument it's actually a sleep remedy.

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 pm

smiileyjen101 wrote:Your 'shift down a gear' notion is interesting plumcake

Means, I often get (innerly) hectic and unconscious in daily life.

slow ride

Post by slow ride » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Plumcake,

I highly recommend the TED Talk:
David Steindl-Rast: Want to be happy? Be grateful

Topic: Moment by moment awareness tool; speaker uses it for gratitude and happiness, which are awesome; also obviously applicable to now presence.

-Dave

davemill

Post by davemill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:38 pm

slow ride wrote:Plumcake,

I highly recommend the TED Talk:
David Steindl-Rast: Want to be happy? Be grateful

Topic: Moment by moment awareness tool; speaker uses it for gratitude and happiness, which are awesome; also obviously applicable to now presence.

-Dave
That's a wonderful video! Thank you for posting it. Here's the direct link: http://www.ted.com/talks/david_steindl_ ... e_grateful
I'm a Dad.

slow ride

Post by slow ride » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:55 pm

True enough

The 3 minutes between 4:00 and 7:00 are pure gold.