Thoughts follow emotion or visa versa?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Adi

Thoughts follow emotion or visa versa?

Post by Adi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:54 am

In this Video Eckharte talks about anger as an energy arising which can then control your thoughts. Psychology says the opposite ie that a thought arises and then the emotion follows. Is Eckharte saying that the emotion just arises for no apparent reason from nowhere? He did mention that it could be from the past. This has me confused somewhat because cognitive behaviour therapy which is all about realising that the emotion is flowing from the negative thought and so therefore disputing the thoughts before the emotions spiral out of control is a necessary part of healing for certain mental disorders. Maybe I have misinterpreted him?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqX5IFKYFWk

dijmart

Re: Thoughts follow emotion or visa versa?

Post by dijmart » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:50 am

Adi wrote:In this Video Eckharte talks about anger as an energy arising which can then control your thoughts. Psychology says the opposite ie that a thought arises and then the emotion follows. Is Eckharte saying that the emotion just arises for no apparent reason from nowhere? He did mention that it could be from the past. This has me confused somewhat because cognitive behaviour therapy which is all about realising that the emotion is flowing from the negative thought and so therefore disputing the thoughts before the emotions spiral out of control is a necessary part of healing for certain mental disorders. Maybe I have misinterpreted him?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqX5IFKYFWk
He says in the very beginning of the video, "when anger comes..." he doesn't elaborate what caused the anger. With the pain body, it is old emotion patterns that can be triggered by many things, but filtered through the mind, sometimes within a matter of nanoseconds. The anger arises, then if presence doesn't arise with it, it will cause thought patterns that confirm the anger. These thoughts fuel the anger on further. Sometimes the pain body is so dense that it doesn't even take many thoughts to provoke it.

But in ANE pg 135, He talks about how people have unconscious assumptions from past conditioning ex:" I need to fight to survive" or "nobody respects me". These unconscious assumptions create emotions in the body which in turn generate mind activity and/or instant reactions. Which can create your personal reality.

So, if someone has a theme of "nobody respects me" that will cause an underlying "feeling" of disrespect, this underlying feeling can cause thoughts about it, then any situation that reaffirms "nobody respects me" will be met with an attack of the pain body. Imo, to reverse this one would have to stop the recurring theme, from past conditioning, which is a recurring thought or thought pattern.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:26 am

Adi wrote: This has me confused somewhat because cognitive behaviour therapy which is all about realising that the emotion is flowing from the negative thought and so therefore disputing the thoughts before the emotions spiral out of control is a necessary part of healing for certain mental disorders.
Right, an emotional reaction can only arise out of thought ... there must necessarily be a thought related to ego (some threat or challenge) to trigger an emotion (which fundamentally is a resistance) ... however what is true is that emotions themselves can trigger new thoughts reinforcing our emotional state ... as Ashley would say, this is a feedback loop ... thought triggers emotions, but emotions in turn generate more thoughts ... which creates kind of 'panic' or generalized 'anxiety' state ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Thoughts can definitely give rise to emotions. But sensations can also.

When I was a kid I was carrying a 21-foot antenna and accidentally touched an overhead electric wire with it. I was suddenly enveloped in that very weird feeling of being shocked -- intense low frequency vibration, complete loss of muscle control -- and as I was buckling over I remember feeling very angry and thinking "Who is doing this to me?!"

Did the anger come from a thought that someone was trying to hurt me and that I didn't deserve this? Or from the sensation of being shocked? Here's my take:

The sensation triggered the anger, and then the anger triggered the thought: sensation -> emotion -> thought.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...