Consuming "negative" music/movies

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Plumcake

Consuming "negative" music/movies

Post by Plumcake » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi,

i have a question about "negative" music/movies.

That means I prefer/like listing to music like metal or darker stuff
or watching horror movies, reading melancholic poems, etc. - from time to time.

(Earlier I really felt "with home" with that - now not really. Now its just that "from time to time"-feeling"). Anyway:

1) I'm worrying if this will reinforce my pain body. And so, its not good for presense.
(I have a very strong one and I'm in my pain body almost all the time.

2) If I would stop this, I image my life to be less rich.

What do you think about that?

Greetings Plumcake

slow ride

Re: Consuming "negative" music/movies

Post by slow ride » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:38 pm

I wonder why people go outside themselves to ask questions when they know both 1. that the answer is inside themselves and also 2. they already know the answer.

Denial? Just don't like their answer?

Comfort? The pain they do know is familiar, and therefore maybe seemingly safer, than the potential peace they don't yet know?

Power is in Now.
Now, for beginners, is preferentially found in peace and quiet.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Plumcake,

Coupla years ago I went to a Buddhist retreat for a week. Every night, when I came home, I watched a horror movie or two. Meditate all day, watch horror all night. It was exquisite!

Many years ago I used to go several times a week to a little movie theater in Stockholm that specialized in horror movies. After a month or so I noticed that I was feeling more anxious and negative in my everyday life. So I stopped going.

Do what you love to do while keeping an eye on how it is affecting you, in mind and body. If it's doing harm, change or stop it. If not, enjoy it.

There's no diploma waiting for you after years of doing what "The Masters" have deemed transcendentally important.

The Masters are mostly just repeating what their Masters said ... or making it up as they go along!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Slowride, thx for your answer. But in 2 out of 3 they are too abstract and I don't get you. :/
rachMiel wrote:Do what you love to do while keeping an eye on how it is affecting you, in mind and body. If it's doing harm, change or stop it. If not, enjoy it.
That sounds good/useful! thx

The point is, earlier I really LOVED Horror (etc) and "absorbed" the energy^^
Now, I'm just often thinking "what the hell" while watching. Things changing.

(Also, the problem is I'm practicing and I'm "in between" for now 7 years or so? Not identificated with the old pain-"horror"/sadness-thing anymore but definitely not in peace, not able to go in a direction. It's just fu**ing terrible, sry.)

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 pm

Plumcake wrote:The point is, earlier I really LOVED Horror (etc) and "absorbed" the energy^^
It's good that you notice this. So whaddya gonna do about it? :-)
(Also, the problem is I'm practicing and I'm "in between" for now 7 years or so? Not identificated with the old pain-"horror"/sadness-thing anymore but definitely not in peace, not able to go in a direction. It's just fu**ing terrible, sry.)
Yes, it's a tough state, to feel the tug of the old way and the tug of a new different way. Enjoy it!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 pm

My take is that there are two distinct perspectives in play here as there are in all of our lives. From a Soul perspective, our True Nature, all experience is valuable. There are no screw ups, and nothing can ever go wrong. What matters is experience, and any experience has value towards the evolution of consciousness and being.

From the human level, it looks quite different. The litmus test in most cases is how we feel in life. Are we in emotional pain, or are we joyful about life. Life experience flows within these two poles, moving back and forth on a regular basis as we make choices that result in various outcomes. Good experiences vs bad ones are generally related to how those experiences feel.

With the above as a criteria, we can't really make a wrong choice, but we can make ones that make us feel one way or the other. If how you feel is important to you (for most everyone it is), then monitor how you feel and what choices you made that resulted in feeling the way you do. If you dislike the way you feel from a given choice, then change what you do. If on the other hand, a given choice feels good to you, you may want to do more of it.

In the long run it's all good. But to the human perspective life can be quite a roller coaster. The question is, "do you like roller coaster experiences?"

WW

epiphany55

Post by epiphany55 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 pm

I listen to a lot of heavy metal and many people do perceive it as "dark" or reinforcing negative moods.

But the purpose of listening to aggressive music is not to obtain that state, it is to release it. It is a means of opening the valve so you can release this negativity safely and productively.

When I listen I can feel the negative energy bleed out of me. I am no longer the form in which that energy resides.

It stops the negative energy boiling up and blowing in chaotic, harmful ways. Such as using other people (the victims of your negative energy). I believe this is a major problem in society - people don't know how to release this pent up energy in productive ways. It's going to come out eventually, and in nasty ways if you don't confront, accept and release it safely.

There is also the benefit of confronting the darker side of your mind - the unconscious, what Jung called the "shadow self" so you can better understand the whole self.

But aside from the practical benefits of listening to metal, there is simply an aesthetic beauty to it. Just because it is a darker beauty, does not mean it isn't part of life's rich tapestry. Enjoy it and use it to your benefit.
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 pm

I love horror movies and metal music. As a musician, I was highly influenced by many old school metal musicians. Some of the best on the planet originated in the hard rock/metal genre! I say if you find yourself reacting negatively to either, then perhaps thats a sign that it's creating a negative energy field around you, which some metal music tends to do. Just simply be aware of how it's making you feel without getting too sucked in to it.

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm

epiphany55 wrote:But the purpose of listening to aggressive music is not to obtain that state, it is to release it. It is a means of opening the valve so you can release this negativity safely and productively.
Same for me. But for me, at some point (after years) it changed and I obtained the state.
I think its a question a character (development), not a question of the music.
Still having many friends in the scene who live "in peace" with the music.
rachMiel wrote:
Plumcake wrote:The point is, earlier I really LOVED Horror (etc) and "absorbed" the energy^^
It's good that you notice this. So whaddya gonna do about it? :-) !
Watching the lighter stuff, I think. (But i still miss the "brutal flow"^^)
rachMiel wrote:
Plumcake wrote:(Also, the problem is I'm practicing and I'm "in between" for now 7 years or so? Not identificated with the old pain-"horror"/sadness-thing anymore but definitely not in peace, not able to go in a direction. It's just fu**ing terrible, sry.)
Yes, it's a tough state, to feel the tug of the old way and the tug of a new different way. Enjoy it!
I'm sorry, it's hell.
because I tried / I'm trying so many ways and there's no guarantee for peace.
(And its extremly difficult to handle the life situation in this "mode".)
Even Buddha would go mad.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Plumcake wrote:
rachMiel wrote:So whaddya gonna do about it? :-) !
Watching the lighter stuff, I think. (But i still miss the "brutal flow"^^)
If that flow is still available to you, why not go for it? Again, if you find it's causing harm, then you can cut back or drop it.
Plumcake wrote:
rachMiel wrote:
Plumcake wrote:(Also, the problem is I'm practicing and I'm "in between" for now 7 years or so? Not identificated with the old pain-"horror"/sadness-thing anymore but definitely not in peace, not able to go in a direction. It's just fu**ing terrible, sry.)
I'm sorry, it's hell.
Maybe you have to go a bit mad to wake up?

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:20 pm

rachMiel wrote:
Plumcake wrote:I'm sorry, it's hell.
Maybe you have to go a bit mad to wake up?
or to go to the locked psychiatric ward.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:57 am

Come on, it's not that bad. (Is it?)

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 am

Well, as I described above it's the opposite of enjoyable.
Guess I have to live with this.

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:36 am

Plumcake wrote:Well, as I described above it's the opposite of enjoyable.
Guess I have to live with this.
You don't feel you have a choice?

Plumcake

Post by Plumcake » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am

Yes, there's no way to go back.
Plumcake wrote:(Also, the problem is I'm practicing and I'm "in between" for now 7 years or so? Not identificated with the old pain-"horror"/sadness-thing anymore but definitely not in peace, not able to go in a direction.