Living Your Life On A Schedule

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
dannydawiz

Living Your Life On A Schedule

Post by dannydawiz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:32 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm back again and it's nice to be here again.

Today I want to ask you guys a question regarding a daily schedule. It seems that a big part of "success" with anything usually involves setting some type of goal. Not only does it involve setting a goal but it involves making a plan in order to reach that goal. This plan usually involves some sort of daily schedule.

In the past I have tried living my life on a daily schedule in order to reach my goals. I never went through with it though because I could never find myself the instristic motivation to complete the items listed in the schedule.

My question to you guys is do you guys have a daily schedule? If you do have a daily schedule then are you able to align it up with your intrtistic life as well? Do you think its important in reaching your goals and if you do then how do you make up one that you can follow?

EnterZenFromThere

Re: Living Your Life On A Schedule

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey Danny :)

Great question! For me it's about balance. I don't see that there is anything inherently 'wrong' with thinking and using it as a tool to organise your life so that you can fulfil your desires. The problems come in when you identify with the thoughts and they own you, rather than you knowing them. Personally, I've never been very big on lists or daily plans so I don't really do that. Though I wouldn't have a problem with having to make a plan if the situation called for it.

I think goals are a great thing. I feel direction and desire are very important in this human experience. I like to align with my inner spirit (which you might also called stillness, or presence) and from that space feel a desire / direction and see what happens. Sometimes my desire comes true. Other times it doesn't. Either way I allow and appreciate the experience and continue onwards :) I love it!

How do you feel about plans? Have you got a life plan that you would like to see through?

Much love,

Jack

dannydawiz

Post by dannydawiz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:12 am

EnterZenFromThere wrote:Hey Danny :)

Great question! For me it's about balance. I don't see that there is anything inherently 'wrong' with thinking and using it as a tool to organise your life so that you can fulfil your desires. The problems come in when you identify with the thoughts and they own you, rather than you knowing them. Personally, I've never been very big on lists or daily plans so I don't really do that. Though I wouldn't have a problem with having to make a plan if the situation called for it.

I think goals are a great thing. I feel direction and desire are very important in this human experience. I like to align with my inner spirit (which you might also called stillness, or presence) and from that space feel a desire / direction and see what happens. Sometimes my desire comes true. Other times it doesn't. Either way I allow and appreciate the experience and continue onwards :) I love it!

How do you feel about plans? Have you got a life plan that you would like to see through?

Much love,

Jack
Hey Jack!

There are definitely people out there who prefer a more spontaneous approach to things. I find that If I'm spontaneous in my work ethic though that I don't seem to get much done.

I feel that plans can be dangerous if you force yourself to follow a routine that sacrifices the present moment for the future. I also feel however that planning allows you to organize your life and make room for balance.

I don't have a life plan that I'd like to follow but I do have a goal that I'd like to accomplish before the time I die. I was thinking that a schedule might benefit me but I'm not sure that I like the idea of living my life on a clock.

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Hey! :)
dannydawiz wrote:I find that If I'm spontaneous in my work ethic though that I don't seem to get much done.
What kind of work do you do?
dannydawiz wrote:I feel that plans can be dangerous if you force yourself to follow a routine that sacrifices the present moment for the future. I also feel however that planning allows you to organize your life and make room for balance.
Yeah totally! For me which one of those we create for ourselves is all about the energy of where it's coming from. If you think you need to follow a specific career because it's who you think you are, and you believe the next step is to get a specific job and get an interview and are terrified because you have so much invested in it then you make loads of detailed plans of how to answer all the possible interview questions ... that probably won't be very pleasant! (That's my own personal experience talking - haha!) That's different than being present and feeling that a future helping people would suit you. Both are plans in my opinion. Just very different energies. One contracted and desperate for a specific future, one relaxed and willing to allow many different potentialities.
dannydawiz wrote:I don't have a life plan that I'd like to follow but I do have a goal that I'd like to accomplish before the time I die.
And what is that?
dannydawiz wrote:I was thinking that a schedule might benefit me but I'm not sure that I like the idea of living my life on a clock.
I feel you there! I look at Big Ben and I feel it's like a constant reminder from the ruling classes 'SLAVES! OBEY THY MASTER TIME!' I guess there's a difference between a highly ordered schedule and a rough idea. I'm liking life with all the rough bits on at the moment - letting go of trying to smooth everything into some mind imposed order.

Much love to you,

Jack

dannydawiz

Post by dannydawiz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:01 pm

What kind of work do you do?
Hello again Jack.

I'm 17 so I still don't have a career. I'm in high school at the moment.

As far as what kind of work I do I suppose you can call me a musician. I've studied it since I was 12 and I'm currently learning music production and audio engineering.
I also have my own website that I write on in order to give myself feedback on anything new I may learn.
And what is that?
My goal is to be able to make "good" music by the time I die. There is something about listening to a good song that just has always really excited me. Doesn't matter what genre really. Another personal goal of mine is to be able to play the piano only because It's always been a desire of mine.

As far as money and everything else goes I really want to learn how to trade/invest.

In the perfect vision that I have visualized in my brain I would be able to make "good" music every single day and use the money that I get from it to invest/trade.

Sadly writing music is easier said than done. I have yet to write something that I would consider "good" but Its okay because I've just found a hundred ways that don't work. I have nothing to complain about until I reach the thousands. In which case I'll still just keep trying over and over.

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:41 pm

dannydawiz wrote:I'm 17 so I still don't have a career. I'm in high school at the moment.
It makes me smile when I hear about young people (jesus christ that makes me sound old!! haha!) getting into Eckhart and co. Awesome stuff man, how did you find out about it?
dannydawiz wrote:I've studied it since I was 12 and I'm currently learning music production and audio engineering.
Sounds good to me. I used to do a little music production for a while. What kind of music?

Much love,

Jack

sardinelover

Post by sardinelover » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 am

dannydawiz wrote:
I feel that plans can be dangerous if you force yourself to follow a routine that sacrifices the present moment for the future.
You misunderstand the meaning of the present moment, and more importantly, presence.

You are in the present moment now. Every moment of your life is now. Any activity that you do(including those on a schedule), you do now. You can set goals for the future, but you take the steps to achieve them now.

You sacrifice the present moment for the future(or rather, you lose presence), when your actions are imbued with negativity, stress, worry, dread or anxiety about the future. You are in the now, but your mind is in the future.

When you are present, any activity that you undertake, whether it be working to a schedule or sitting on a park bench, you are fully in the now. You could be running because you are late to catch the bus. If you are present, then you are just running. No future. No negativity. You could be working faster to meet a deadline. No future. No negativity. You are present when you give any activity your full attention now.

When you are not present, any activity that you do will be driven by negativity, namely, fear in some form or other.

So by all means, set plans, goals and schedules. They are very effective in getting things done and for achieving. There is nothing bad about them - it's the loss of presence that is ultimately bad.
Relax your face

SJD

Post by SJD » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:50 am

I think Eckhart makes a distinction between clock time and psychological time.

You can use clock time to plan and make goals. You're not lost in time but rather your awareness is using your mind as a tool to plan. The mind is not using you to fulfill its egoic desire.

Then once you have a plan and you have the steps you need to take to accomplish a goal. You use the present moment to accomplish that step. Don't make that step into a means to an end however. Make the step the end in and of itself. Give that step your full attention and allow quality to flourish through it. Remove time from the mind and just focus on that one quality step.

Hope this helps.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:33 am

sardinelover wrote:
You sacrifice the present moment for the future(or rather, you lose presence), when your actions are imbued with negativity, stress, worry, dread or anxiety about the future. You are in the now, but your mind is in the future.
Yes, I think this is the key issue ... when the situation generates stress or anxiety or negativity then you lose presence ... and making a plan based on negativity will not work as you will 'force' yourself to do something you don't really want to ...

It is said "love and do what you want" ... and listen to your heart ...
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

dannydawiz

Post by dannydawiz » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:22 pm

sardinelover wrote:
dannydawiz wrote:
I feel that plans can be dangerous if you force yourself to follow a routine that sacrifices the present moment for the future.
You misunderstand the meaning of the present moment, and more importantly, presence.

You are in the present moment now. Every moment of your life is now. Any activity that you do(including those on a schedule), you do now. You can set goals for the future, but you take the steps to achieve them now.

When you are present, any activity that you undertake, whether it be working to a schedule or sitting on a park bench, you are fully in the now. You could be running because you are late to catch the bus. If you are present, then you are just running. No future. No negativity. You could be working faster to meet a deadline. No future. No negativity. You are present when you give any activity your full attention now.

When you are not present, any activity that you do will be driven by negativity, namely, fear in some form or other.

So by all means, set plans, goals and schedules. They are very effective in getting things done and for achieving. There is nothing bad about them - it's the loss of presence that is ultimately bad.
Thanks for this. I feel that I understand the present moment much more now than I ever have. What I consider to be the present moment is when you're doing what you're doing while free from both the past and future.

A plan can be followed just fine as long as when you're following the plan you aren't letting your thoughts drift off to neverland.

The reason why I said that plans could be dangerous is only from my own experience in which I forced myself to follow a plan and I was constantly thinking about the future as I was executing the plan. The present moment was an enemy. I could NOT be happy about ANYTHING until I had reached my future goal. Anything else was just considered to be an obstacle to me.

I'm much better now but thank you again for replying. Your reply is reassuring.
EnterZenFromThere wrote:
It makes me smile when I hear about young people (jesus christ that makes me sound old!! haha!) getting into Eckhart and co. Awesome stuff man, how did you find out about it?

Sounds good to me. I used to do a little music production for a while. What kind of music?

Much love,

Jack
[/quote]

Hahaha! Thanks Jack! I discovered Tolle through a really bad depression that happened to me from 9-10th grade. Basically I just started reading a lot trying to find out what the heck was wrong with me. I had read the power of now but I never really understood the importance of its message. Eventually after a lot of searching I came across "A New Earth" which was my miracle. It got me out of my thoughts and into reality.

I'm making electronic music right now! I'd also like to make rock music in the future but before I do that I need to find a job to afford some of the materials needed. :)