Brain in development = No Enlightenment? & Rebel Phase...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
bluecover

Brain in development = No Enlightenment? & Rebel Phase...

Post by bluecover » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:21 pm

When I first read the Power of Now 2 years ago, i was going through huge depression...Although, while getting a "taste" of this new reality, for a few days everything felt so wonderful, the colors, the smells, the sensations, the wind, the sun, the reflections, the feelings, the breathing, everything was so amazing...but I don't remember the last time I felt such glimpse with such intensity :'(

Since then, I've done nothing but reading books, books, books ad more books, I hear everyday from 30 minutes to an hour of one of Eckhart Tolle audiobooks and some spiritual videos on YouTube of Moojiji and other spiritual teachers, meditating...

I'm 17 years old now, and I do control to a certain point my reactions to the unconsciousness around me, but...I can't seem to keep this state for long. about a few minutes a day is already good, maybe after meditating, about 1 or 2 hour of peace (or less if my parents arrive from work sooner...), not long until some volcano arises inside my brain and throws away my spiritual practice :(

I got to a point where decided to forget all about this spirituality path, and just live carried on by ego, school made me so busy, I thought I just didn't have time for this. A few months pasted by..
Thankfully, I started suffering again, and that was a way of getting my attention on the ego and coming back into this path.

I've tried to look for this around the forums, and some people mention that the brain while young, it's still in development. So does that affect in any way the capability of one becoming enlightened and at peace for more than just a few very short glimpses a day?

I learned so many techniques, so many ways to get into the now, but that never really did anything for me after that first, beautiful, amazing glimpse I had , Will that improve when I reach a certain age and my brain stops developing?

It's been 2 freaking years, I feel frustrated for not being able to go deeply into the now for as long as I wish I could :(
I know that I shouldn't look for any other state than the one I'm in right now, but the simply knowing of it doesn't really do much.

I don't want to give up on my spiritual practice, I really want to change, I'm 100% open to it, but, will I be able any time soon to fully "grasp it" once and for all or am I just wasting time and energy? (Many even say it's really simple, but sometimes I feel wasted for trying so much. Other times it just comes naturally, but it goes just as easy as it came in first place).

So can a young person achieve enlightenment? or do we have to wait until certain age to fully experience it?

Also, can spiritual practice reduce brain development during its growth years? (For example the "rebel phase", which I never really went though, and don't feel the need to..., won't skipping it cause some physiological damage or possibly a future need to finally rebel, as I've seen in many studies?)

Andrew.

Webwanderer

Re: Brain in development = No Enlightenment? & Rebel Phase.

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:43 am

What is this 'enlightenment' you're trying to achieve?

WW

bluecover

Post by bluecover » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:32 am

A state of deep peace, were you are conscious of being conscious and see joy flowing through and everything and anything. You know what is real and what's not and don't let life situations affect your inner state through emotions, and not getting trapped by these annoying traps the brain has to offer, you have like a anti-trap incorporated or something, where you no longer fall into the mind reality and see reality though your own being.

Not 100% of time, but most of it. That's the problem, for me it's like 10% of time, the rest of it I'm constantly trapped. I don't even think of being trapped because the thought itself it's a trap of course, but i do recognize sometimes that I can't fully implement all my spiritual practice In most of my life situations, It doesn't matter how much I "try", I just throw all my spiritual practice into the garbage. At times, the thought of all this does feel frustrating to a certain point, but It's not a thought with full time job, It's just that sometimes "he" appears to give me some dull report of how useless it is to keep "trying", and just forget about it all and live life ridden by ego, because, well somehow it's easier, although it causes pain and it's not a choice I want to do.

So maybe I can't really implement all the spiritual practice because brain is annoying me with all these hormones that create emotions out of nowhere and there isn't really a way to anihilate that until I get to my 20's and then will get easier? It's depressing just by thinking in it. I don't want this =( (Although yes, wanting that things were different.. yes I know, I'm full of mind stuff right now...but I do recognize It's mind stuff, but still identified with it somehow..or not since I just recognized it...oh here it is thought thinking about itself, damnit <.<).

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:31 pm

bluecover wrote:A state of deep peace, were you are conscious of being conscious and see joy flowing through and everything and anything. You know what is real and what's not and don't let life situations affect your inner state through emotions, and not getting trapped by these annoying traps the brain has to offer, you have like a anti-trap incorporated or something, where you no longer fall into the mind reality and see reality though your own being.
It might be 'enlightening' to explore life's purpose in this human form. I heard this paradoxical pointer recently and for me it adds a quality of context to life that brings perspective to all experience. It goes like this: 'There is no reality.... and that is the reality.' Or another way to phrase it is 'The reality is... is that there is no reality.'

If you can become clear on this, then what passes as reality to the ego, or human perspective, is recognized as simply experience to be gleaned.

So what does this mean? It means that within awareness - the conscious perspective that is you - all phenomena is just temporary window dressing simply for the purpose of experiencing it. To the degree that you can perceive and live from this perspective, all 'life situations affecting your inner state through emotions' are seen as content for some higher purpose than the narrow perspective of the appearance of the events themselves.
Not 100% of time, but most of it. That's the problem, for me it's like 10% of time, the rest of it I'm constantly trapped.
The thing is, is if you are not fully immersed in the phenomena as a perceived reality, you cannot generate the emotions that reflect the quality of your perspective. There is a reason we create a somewhat blind perspective in this human experience. It serves us in our greater beingness in ways our limited human perspective doesn't readily grasp.

Consider, that if one knows how the movie comes out, whether the hero succeeds or fails, who lives and who dies, the unfolding story line will be a lot less engaging to the viewer. It is through the experience of our emotions that the nature of our perspective is revealed. There is no right or wrong involved. There is only the ongoing opportunity to grow clearer in our true nature as our emotions teach us about our beliefs and perspectives on life.

In this context, enlightenment as you describe it may not be in your best interest - especially considering your young age in life. And even if this is not the case and you are destined to become highly awakened sooner rather than later, it is through the recognition of the true nature of reality that will take you there. If you cannot yet see it, it simply means you are not ready for that greater clarity, or your greater beingness yet has use for your imposed blindness for awhile in this often tumultuous human perspective.

Either way, the quest for awakening and understanding has great value. Know this and always strive for clarity in your unfolding experiences. Feel a genuine sense of appreciation for you emotions and experiences and they will bless you with wisdom.

If this seems ridiculous, that in itself may be worth exploring. All beliefs and perspectives are imaginary conditions within awareness that we experience as real - and the experience itself is real, the conditions are not.

WW

bluecover

Post by bluecover » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:47 pm

You remind me of what the journey is all about...
...I seem to forget it, very often.

Thank you Webwanderer, for all your wise words, time and effort :)

Kind Regards, bluecover