My life will fall apart without worrying?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
SJD

My life will fall apart without worrying?

Post by SJD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 pm

I've come to the conclusion that people would be happier without their self talk. If we could reduce our self-talk by 80% our mental health and concentration would improve.

But at the same time I have an awareness of this thought that tells me my life will fall apart without my worrying self-talk. Should I believe this thought?

Is self talk good or bad?

Can we use positive self-talk to pull ourselves out of bad moods which further amplify our unconsciousness?

dannydawiz

Re: My life will fall apart without worrying?

Post by dannydawiz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm

I think it depends on how you talk to your self. There are people with low self-esteem who talk to themselves in a highly negative way. They criticize everything about themselves from their looks, intelligence, abilities, talents, and even their potential.

On the other hand their are people with high self-esteem who talk to themselves in a highly positive way. They think of themselves as confident with their looks, intelligence, abilities, talents, and their potential.

Worrying self-talk is a type of cognitive distortion that comes usually from our tendency to jump to conclusions. Always expecting the worst case scenario to occur. It has its basis in the future and takes you away from the present moment.

I wouldn't look at it as whether it's good or bad. Instead just think of it as a cause and effect. If you have a worrying self-talk then there are going to be some very apparent affects such as anxiety.

A more important question to ask yourself is whether your worrying-self talk is beneficial or detrimental. I wouldn't consider it detrimental to worry about your health for example because that will motivate you to start exercising and paying more attention to what you eat. However it would be detrimental to worry about whether people are criticizing you, judging you, or talking about you. You'll begin to become anxious around others and start jumping to conclusions that aren't real.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:18 pm

SJD wrote:I've come to the conclusion that people would be happier without their self talk. If we could reduce our self-talk by 80% our mental health and concentration would improve.

But at the same time I have an awareness of this thought that tells me my life will fall apart without my worrying self-talk. Should I believe this thought?

Is self talk good or bad?

Can we use positive self-talk to pull ourselves out of bad moods which further amplify our unconsciousness?
No, do not believe anything thought tells you ... thought has been 'conditioned' by society and can become a torture instrument that can destroy you if you are not watchful ... so be aware and do not believe what thought tells you ... thought lies ... stick to facts ... stick to 'what is' ...

I would recommend you to read the book from Don Miguel Ruiz "The Four Agreements". (very easy to read and very powerful)

The first agreement states: Be Impeccable with Your Word ... it means words are powerful tools, don't use them to destroy yourself or other people ... even in thought ...

Here is a summary of the 4 agreements:

http://www.humanpotentialunlimited.com/ ... ntent.html
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

goran

Post by goran » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:33 pm

http://www.uncoveringlife.com – Enlightenment Starts Here

dijmart

Post by dijmart » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:04 am

SJD wrote: I have an awareness of this thought that tells me my life will fall apart without my worrying self-talk. Should I believe this thought?
If you want to know, then don't worry for a day, week or month and see what happens. This does not mean neglect your duties, but just not to worry about them. Perhaps, by trying it, you will have found the "experience" to prove this to yourself, without having to ask anyone.
Take what you like and leave the rest.

Long Time Seeker

Post by Long Time Seeker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:57 am

Worrying about worrying is just part of the same problem of worrying! Worry is just another way the ego has of trying to take control. I had some conselling once and one of the most valuable things I learned was that you can postpone a worry by saying to yourself - "I'll worry about this later". In that way you are deflecting the issue away from your main consciousness and saying to it - "look, its not vital that I worry about this thing right now, I'll think about it later". For me, that had the effect of removing the issue from the here and now which freed up my mind to allow more reasonable thoughts to come in. And what about the worry thing? When you do come back to it later, it has lost a lot of its power to get to you and ceases to be such a worry. If the worry was something you should be genuinely concerned about, you will deal with it better for having removed it from the here and now.