detox symptoms from being present ?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
crsnja

detox symptoms from being present ?

Post by crsnja » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Hello there :) !

Long story short, I have been completly focused on being present since 1-2 months, and already my identity seems to be not so serious after all ! Fear and anxiety are mostly gone, I'm less and less interested into the "outer world" etc
But ! Since 10 days I have been feeling tired, nauseous at time, I also experience some slight kind of head/muscle pain... not really something in particular but more of an overall feeling

At first I though I was sick from a virus or something, but then it occured to me that the last time I felt something like that was when I drastically changed my diet, from a very poor one to a very healthy one, and read it was some kind of "detox" symptoms, like built-up toxins leaving your body, or even just from the adaptation process the body was going through.

So, I wonder ! Is it possible to experience a "detox" effect from being present, like all the emotionnal/stress release ? Have you ever experienced something like that ?

Or I could simply stop wondering about that and just accept that it is what it is, but I'm not there yet :D
"With peace in my hand,
Compassion is my gun,
Shooting all illusions,
I'm dying like a soldier"

randomguy

Re: detox symptoms from being present ?

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi crsnja,
Yes, I think it is very possible it could be similar. I felt significant physical shifts sometimes leaving me with a run-down feeling afterward, similar to the feeling as when I first realize I might be getting a cold. I recall a particular realization about the nature of identity and doing that coincided with a 3 day headache and a low feeling. Awakening for me has involved an assortment of physical experiences, not all negative, but these are the ones I found similar to your descriptions.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:33 am

I've had several (three?) incidents of times which have lasted three or more months where I've felt agitated, depressed, confused. I did not think of it as detox, but that makes sense. The symptoms are low energy, insomnia, confusion, a loss of motivation in conventional things, isolation and so on. It's common, I think.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Yup, body aches, too. Malaise.
Be present, be pleasant.

Enlightened2B

Post by Enlightened2B » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:22 pm

detox symptoms/healing reactions are prevalent as you indicated with dietary changes. However, since physicality/mental/emotional are all connected, it could be a cause of your reaction as well....going deeper into presence.

I might consider checking in with a holistic doc if you choose to, just to see what is actually going on in your body physically speaking. Could be a whole number of reasons and it's almost impossible to expect a diagnosis over a forum like this one.

Often, when your body detoxes heavy metals and other bad organisms from your gut, it can bring about similar types of reactions when your liver is in over drive. Your liver is the main detox organ of your body. Is there anything in your life that you can attribute these symptoms to? Did you start taking a new supplement/medication?

GermanEnlightenment

Post by GermanEnlightenment » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 pm

"Detox symptoms", what a nice ways of phrasing the most troubling and weird period of my entire life. :) I understand that everyone´s experience of growing awareness in life is different but man oh man, I only recently experienced such a period of being detoxed and I felt like my mind was put under a microscope and every single belief, perception, idea about anything that I ever had was penetrated by the light of awareness with razor-sharp clarity. All prejudices, false beliefs, "dark" thoughts, nothing was left out.

Sen wrote a great article about this:
http://www.calmdownmind.com/awareness-t ... dark-side/

I highly recommend this guy´s website. He has so many great articles that helped me a lot on my journey.
"Happiness / Something in my own place / I'm standing naked / Smiling, I feel no disgrace / With who I am/ I´m a lucky man...with fire in my hands"
(The Verve - Lucky Man)

crsnja

Post by crsnja » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:12 pm

Yeah it's a kind of big detox when you think about it : all those beliefs and thoughs flushed out of you !

It is purely physical at the moment, there is no confusion etc, and it's actually getting better now, I guess I just had to talk about it with you guys :D
I read that cortisol, the stress hormone, can build up in your system, and I was getting anxious about pretty much everything, all the time, so that might explains it..!
I feel that most spiritual teacher don't talk enough about the physical body ...

Thank you for the link, GermanEnlightenment, I read a bit there is some content I don't agree with, so that's a good occasion to watch those judging thoughts ! :p
"With peace in my hand,
Compassion is my gun,
Shooting all illusions,
I'm dying like a soldier"

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 pm

I like calling it a detox. I've been going through similar things. I feel it as the release of negative energy from my body. It's been quite intense for me. I've had muscle aches and pains and the same in my bones. Nausea, stomach pains, fatigue, dizziness, headaches. I had to take 2 months off work as it got very intense. It's passed now, mostly. I found that facing each of these experiences without judgement and just allowing them to be was usually all that was needed. For me, sometimes I needed to do more. E.g. The dizziness is associated with social anxiety so I needed to face that by experiencing the dizziness while in gradually more intense social situations. Life arranged that quite naturally though, I haven't felt the need to force it. Although a little challenging, I now feel myself moving into a body with less toxic negativity in it. A lighter body. Better suited to flowing effortlessly through life.

Love,

Jack

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:05 pm

I have been going thru a similar process in the last 3 years. At first I didn't know what was happening. I was very depressed and anxious and not sleeping much at night (highly unusual). This was followed by several months of intense anger.....as though the stored anger from a lifetime of repressing was being released. The most notable incident during this time was an argument I was having with my wife while driving. I suddenly experienced a white hot anger and was screaming at my wife ( also highly unusual) I came to my senses when she very quietly asked my to pull over and I sensed her fear as I saw my. heavier through her eyes.

These periods lasted about six months. Then I had a couple of years of a sort of rootless bobble headedness. Not much excitement, but not much stress, although I would hit veins of emotion and repression. There were assorted aches and pains, but like Jack, I haven't paid much attention to them and they come and go without a lot of attached anxiety. I'm going through a grief period, as several family members have died recently, but that feels completely natural and these emotions are processed efficiently.....more or less.

My experience has been in line with the 'recovery' process John Sherman talks about after getting a good look at the essential 'you'. 2-5 years of anxiety and adjustment as ones psychology and physical body reforms after fear leaves the system. It's a time of recovery and rebirth, really. Increased immediacy with ones life....losing the 7 second delay, and the numbness and disassociation that many spiritual seekers talk about.
Be present, be pleasant.