Spiritual but unconscious people!

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Maringa

Spiritual but unconscious people!

Post by Maringa » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Hello again,

Since I started to read Tolle 2010, I've come into contact with a lot of "spiritual" people. I went to a meditation camp for example, and I was so impressed by the dedicated meditators, and they where so spiritual and "good" people. I thought "oh wow, If I could ever be this open hearted and genuinly nice!" but when I started to talk about Tolle, they were immediately HOSTILE :shock:

"Tolle don't know a shit/ he's soooo boring / HOW can people even listen to that guy etc etc" :shock:

And I suddenly realized that all this "spirituality" was just an egoic mask... all these gem stones, chrystal healing sessions, meditation courses, esoteric trips that these people put all there time and effort in, had nothing to do with enlightenment!

And after the meditation camp I saw this phenomenon over and over again, super spiritual people (healers, astrologists, tarot readers etc) with GIGANTIC egos!

Isn't this strange?

Have you guys seen this phenomena?

GermanEnlightenment

Re: Spiritual but unconscious people!

Post by GermanEnlightenment » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:20 pm

I can actually understand why some people develop a "spiritual" ego because I´ve been there myself: You try to mimic certain mannerisms of spiritual teachers, you´re
preaching their teachings to other people, you try to act more loving and caring towards others etc.
It just becomes another mind-technique and it feels like a lot of effort and struggle to maintain that all-loving and deeply spiritual front and sooner or later you realize that it´s not working out for you. A lot of people simply use spirituality to feel superior to others, not realizing that in the end no human being is superior to another because from an absolute perspective we all are LIFE itself. Everything else in the physical world is just a play with form (social status, accomplishments, possessions etc.)
"Happiness / Something in my own place / I'm standing naked / Smiling, I feel no disgrace / With who I am/ I´m a lucky man...with fire in my hands"
(The Verve - Lucky Man)

viking55803

Post by viking55803 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 pm

For me, one of the most revealing perspectives ET offers is this: it's not about believing me or accepting anything on faith - you can prove to yourself through direct experience whether or not his teaching makes sense. He does not tell anyone to do what he does or do it how he does it - he understand and accepts the fact that this is a process, and that the path is different for each of us. He is very clear that we don't even need him!

He's "boring" because he gets at the core of spirituality, which is frustratingly simple - too simple for some to actually understand. Many of us (me included) seem to have to complicate everything with the ten thousand things.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:09 am

viking55803 wrote:
He's "boring" because he gets at the core of spirituality, which is frustratingly simple - too simple for some to actually understand. Many of us (me included) seem to have to complicate everything with the ten thousand things.
Yes Eckhart even often says jokingly in his talks that what he is saying is not 'interesting' ... it is not intellectual ... so thought doesn't find any 'food' in those talks ... like a beautiful sunset is not 'interesting' ... unless you want to make a PhD on sunsets ...

:lol:
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56 am

I've seen this too, Maringa. It can be very disconcerting......on the other hand, we are all human beings and it's not really surprising that 'spiritual' people are just human. I have come to believe that some of the most 'awake' people have nothing to do with spirituality or religion, couldn't tell Tolle from Tolstoy.....they are just simple people leading good, quiet lives. I believe my mother was one of these people.

There can be deep desire and tension in spiritual seeking. A feeling of lack or want, and the primary motivation may be fear. Fear that we're not good enough, that we need to be better than others, that death will annihilate us......that we need to be saved from life itself and escape into bliss. I agree with Germanenlightenment, I've been there myself and still go there on occasion.
Be present, be pleasant.

Maringa

Post by Maringa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 pm

GermanEnlightenment wrote:I can actually understand why some people develop a "spiritual" ego because I´ve been there myself: You try to mimic certain mannerisms of spiritual teachers, you´re
preaching their teachings to other people, you try to act more loving and caring towards others etc.
It just becomes another mind-technique and it feels like a lot of effort and struggle to maintain that all-loving and deeply spiritual front and sooner or later you realize that it´s not working out for you. A lot of people simply use spirituality to feel superior to others, not realizing that in the end no human being is superior to another because from an absolute perspective we all are LIFE itself. Everything else in the physical world is just a play with form (social status, accomplishments, possessions etc.)
Yes, I can relate especially to the last sentence, people that use spirituality to feel superior to others. I have experienced people that tell me how to live and what to eat, even though I'm much healthier and abundant then they are. That's just weird... :?

Maringa

Post by Maringa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Onceler wrote:I've seen this too, Maringa. It can be very disconcerting......on the other hand, we are all human beings and it's not really surprising that 'spiritual' people are just human. I have come to believe that some of the most 'awake' people have nothing to do with spirituality or religion, couldn't tell Tolle from Tolstoy.....they are just simple people leading good, quiet lives. I believe my mother was one of these people.

There can be deep desire and tension in spiritual seeking. A feeling of lack or want, and the primary motivation may be fear. Fear that we're not good enough, that we need to be better than others, that death will annihilate us......that we need to be saved from life itself and escape into bliss. I agree with Germanenlightenment, I've been there myself and still go there on occasion.
Yes! the most awake ones are just ordinary people that don't need to meditate or wear chrystals and do rituals to feel at peace.

But a weird thing is that there's people with "superpowers" or "spiritual powers" that really do "see" things, "feel" things, can leave their body at will (OBE) or do lucid dreaming, but these abilities doesn't have to be connected to being awake or conscious at all. It should be? Or?

viking55803

Post by viking55803 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Claims about special powers are extraordinary, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I've never seen any evidence to support those claims, and have lived 66 years without seeing it. On the other hand, ET's "claims" are supported by my own direct experience. The closest thing in terms of a "religion" in my experience is Zen Buddhism, which boils down to the simple practice of zazen, or sitting. Unfortunately for me, it was difficult to take the practice of zazen into my daily life. Perhaps I am not sufficiently spiritually evolved! Still, I now understand how I can practice presence in any moment, anywhere, in any situation. Zen meditation certainly helped me dis-identify with my monkey mind thoughts and reptilian emotions!

crsnja

Post by crsnja » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Maringa wrote:
Onceler wrote:I've seen this too, Maringa. It can be very disconcerting......on the other hand, we are all human beings and it's not really surprising that 'spiritual' people are just human. I have come to believe that some of the most 'awake' people have nothing to do with spirituality or religion, couldn't tell Tolle from Tolstoy.....they are just simple people leading good, quiet lives. I believe my mother was one of these people.

Yes! the most awake ones are just ordinary people that don't need to meditate or wear chrystals and do rituals to feel at peace.

But a weird thing is that there's people with "superpowers" or "spiritual powers" that really do "see" things, "feel" things, can leave their body at will (OBE) or do lucid dreaming, but these abilities doesn't have to be connected to being awake or conscious at all. It should be? Or?
Yes, it's weird ! You can see people with actual 'powers', but still in the grip of the ego
my guess is that there must be some kind of spiritual opening and some sensibility to energies etc, but it is wrapped with deep new age concept/beliefs.
"With peace in my hand,
Compassion is my gun,
Shooting all illusions,
I'm dying like a soldier"

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:52 am

Defining what is 'spiritual' for one person, may not necessarily be the same for others.
Who then ordains these titles to different experiences in awareness, capacity and willingness?

What does spiritual mean for you and do you check what it might mean for others?
I for instance merely lean towards it as a word that denotes in the 'abstract'.
The ability to use symbolic representation or logic. The opposite of abstraction, according to Carl Jung, is concretism.
But in practicality that doesn't mean that abstracts can't be utilised and observed as having cause > effect outcomes.
Yes, it's weird ! You can see people with actual 'powers', but still in the grip of the ego
Why is it 'weird'?

Everybody's
Got
One

my guess is that there must be some kind of spiritual opening and some sensibility to energies etc, but it is wrapped with deep new age concept/beliefs.
Then those concepts/beliefs are in your awareness, capacity and willingness.
For me, it's not 'new age' knowledge at all.

Like what is spiritual, what is 'extra-ordinary' are individual perceptions and perspectives in experience. We all think it rather extraordinary that people sometimes do not see / hear / know as we do, we are the ones who define 'ordinary' based on our own awareness, capacity and willingness.

Ego of itself has nothing to do with sensory capacity, and neither to me does it define a person's spirituality. I have clair-abilities and empathic abilities, but I'm not 'spiritual' or 'new age' in the least in my own opinion. As far as I'm concerned on those things science just hasn't caught up with the full human capacity in terms of sensory interpretation and translation of 'data' / available information.

A dog hears things outside of the range of human hearing and doesn't know that all species cannot hear what they hear, a bat sees things outside of the range of human sight and doesn't know that all species do not see as they see. A colour blind person doesn't know they are seeing any differently to everyone else until someone points it out as a different interpretation and translation of visual stimuli.

A tone deaf person thinks that what they sing is the same as what they hear and it is, it's just not the same as what some others may be hearing with different capacity in the hearing to voice translation. A person who never sings will never know the beauty of their range in song, so there is a difference in capacity and willingness.

There is no thing that stands outside of the 'possible' range/s of sensory capacity and we all have a capacity somewhere along the range - in all things, be it understood, utilised, or not.

In this, allowing our egos to dominate our thinking and our actions are the same as the ever changing interpretation/translation process. One moment we may make enemy, obstacle or means to an end of a thing, situation or person (ET's helpful reminder of ego interpreting and directing responses), in another moment we may not, we may choose to accept, enjoy and be enthusiastic about the very same thing moments ago we 'hated' or didn't understand. We may accept something and then decide not to, ... no choice is wrong, it just brings a different experience.

No thing is stuck in stone, they are just different experiences interpreting, translating and responding to stimuli in different moments by different perspectives within each experience.

We all have different awareness, capacity and willingness to see/hear/know it (anything) in experience.

If we look outward more than inward, we might believe that others have more of it (anything), or less of it, than we do ourselves. We all have our 'blind spots' but we are all somewhere along a sliding scale of all things in any moment.
ET's "claims" are supported by my own direct experience
All 'claims' are born of direct experience. ET's claims, your claims, anyone's 'claims', they are just the perspective of what we have accepted in (individual) experience.
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

crsnja

Post by crsnja » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Thank you for your words , smileyjen

I realise that I have made some separation in my mind, probably due to the belief that one needs to be spiritual (which is already a heavy concept in itself) in order to experience what we call special powers (which is another concept)
"With peace in my hand,
Compassion is my gun,
Shooting all illusions,
I'm dying like a soldier"

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Maringa (and everyone),

This is such a great topic to discuss! It seems so common when we enter into these communities that we come to compare ourselves with others and define terms for comparison such as 'spiritual' or 'enlightened' or 'awakened'. I certainly did and continue to do, though the manner in which I do is changing over time/experience with an increasing flexibility and decreasing seriousness in the terms I use and how they are applied.

I loved your comment about looking at these spiritual others and wanting to be like them. I've had experiences like that, where I met people who seemed to fit the mould I had created for what these 'spiritual' people are like. Then I jumped to all sorts of conclusions as my interpretation of their behaviours ticked and modified various different boxes that I had made for the concepts in my mind. But always, there would be times when I would be confused, because they would do something that I would interpret as being far removed from my vision of them as 'spiritual'. For instance, I met a man who claimed to be enlightened and who was part of the non-duality scene in London. He seemed very distant and that ticked some spiritual boxes for me at that particular time. He had an airy way of speaking and being like he was off somewhere else. He seemed very deep. I remember a watch falling on the fall and him saying 'what is time...?' I liked that a lot because I liked those sort of questions and he was oh so ethereal in his manner. But what I came to realise, was that, when asked questions about the deeper issues, he never had any answer. He would just dismiss questions like 'what happens when we die' and had absolute views on certain practices 'you can do self-inquiry if you like, but it won't make any difference as you're already enlightened and nothing you ever do will impact on that'. At the moment I see him as fitting many people's view of a 'spiritual' or 'enlightened' person, but, along the lines of what Jen has said, I feel there are as many definitions of these terms as there are people to think them.

The way i see this experience. This man helped to teach me this lesson. He helped to show me how limited these concepts can be and helped me to move beyond them into what I feel now is a more all inclusive and expansive experience that I am having. And for that, I am so grateful to him! Haha, funny that his lesson was not one I imagine he would have predicted, but isn't that the way of Life in this Human Experience? :)

Recently, I wrote on this forum about Your Way is Yours Alone. We walk our ways together, but the way we walk is always uniquely ours. We may see others and be inspired by them, or we may see others and choose not to align with their way of being. We may discern someone as having the kind of 'spiritual' properties we wish to see in our experience of ourselves and align with that (e.g. You see that these people seemed loving and kind). That is wonderful and great! That is creation! We may discern that they have properties we do not want, and move away from that (e.g. Their seemingly unfounded dislike ofEckhart). That too is wonderful and great! That too is creation! It's all choice and alignment in the navigation of the water of Life. We build our boats as we ride the waves. The very waves themselves form the boats we Captain. Like cliff faces shaped by the sea. Our boats are like bubbles made of a material that filters our experience of the world - both outside and in. Through this bubble of perspective we navigate experience. We align. We create.

For 6 months I was talking to a man who, according to himself and many others who seemed worthy of respect themselves, was enlightened. He told me how to deconstruct my ego. When I said I felt the ego was a natural part of Being, that embracing it was making my path filled with ease and love, he said this, in his experience, would not lead to lasting solace. That I had much further to go. He said love was just something people tried to use to describe the Self, which, actually was indescribable. When I mentioned my experiences of seeing energy, he said it was just the changes happening in my brain making me see things. I felt in my Heart that he was wrong in these ways. That the ego, as I see it, is the point of perception through which experience in the physical is made possible, that the ego is something to be marvelled at and enjoyed for what it is! That love is a fundamental universal force. That I am opening up to vision and feeling beyond the physical and can see and manipulate energy - the beautiful flowing primordial essence of creation! I see now that, despite his titles, he too was limited. He seems to dismiss what is outside of his knowing. I saw an interview with him where he talked about his emerging spiritual powers, he said that he used them to get what he wanted and that he suppressed them to stop himself controlling others. I see now that he is not like me. I don't want to manipulate others like he seems to. He feared his abilities because of this and suppressed them. He feared and could not face his fear. But I face my fears and I embrace the abilities that open to me that I may use to help myself and others. I see someone giving a presentation and they are nervous. I ask the energies to send this being my love and, if they wish it for themselves, to be given confidence and ease in this difficult time. To see clearly, and learn from this blessed lesson of life!

I write this because I feel it highlights what has been a vital lesson for me. Me, and my culture, labelled this man as superior. So I followed, in a way that moved against what I felt was right for me. It was painful to follow in this way. But it showed me what I did not want to align with. It showed me the easy way. The loving, all inclusive way of Life. The way that includes all our beautiful uniqueness. That does not seek to make an enemy of myself. Once again, the one proclaimed as teacher taught me a lesson beyond his lessons.

So I guess what I. Really trying to say is, it's great that you have seen this! You've seen how ideas and concepts about what spirituality is can be misleading. That people who either we or they or society label as spiritual May or may not be the kind of people that it is suitable for us to align with. Ultimately, there is no one who knows your way better than you. Life will creates for you all the opportunities to choose your way. That might include following some 'spiritual' person for a while. Or it may include following some 'non-spiritual' people for a while. It's a fun dance of moving into and out of alignment with what we do and do not like. Like choice is our steering wheel, and preference is our accelerator and break.

I Love Life!!!

Jack

smiileyjen101

Post by smiileyjen101 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

I love that you share your love of life Jack!

I had a friend that I 'thought' had all the answers, he spoke many many years ago about 'nirvana' and 'buddha' and all these interesting concepts of what was reality and what wasn't, and ... he floated. He used to walk so serenely and talk so surely and quietly, it appeared to me that he 'floated' and just 'appeared' places, whereas folks could see / hear me coming for miles (smiles :wink: ).

He would hold such serious discussions to my light- hearted party banter. He railed that my life on a ship was not 'real', and that I was 'avoiding reality' by staying aboard for so long. I never did agree with him about that, it was a microcosm of the world, and things able to be experienced intimately because of the squashed in size of it. But, at the end of that cruise in which he was a passenger-doctor, I was unexpectedly leaving amid a turmoil of not 'normal' experiences on board, the weirdest cruise ever. No thing was the same at the end.

It almost made it look as if I had agreed with him, whereas I hadn't, I just made the choice on my own issues, different to his.

He also used to freakily turn up in different places all over the country and the world (literally!!) at critical points - crossroads - in my life, just like that. Crazy things like walking out of my room in a hospital where I'd just been diagnosed with a critical situation and who's standing at the nurse's station... him. Even though the last time I laid eyes on him and him me was 12000 miles away and years before. Or when I called his Aunt while visiting her city to find out where in the world (literally) was he, and her saying I'd just missed him - he'd gone out to the next town - he was staying there, when last I'd heard he'd been on another continent.

He'd share his wisdom with me for a while then disappear again, only to reappear at the next critical junction. Eventually I came to another major junction and he didn't magically appear, so I tracked him down and wrote to him about it. I mentioned how inspiring he'd been to me over the years/decades now, and how I was learning about some of the things he used to talk about and was wondering what he was up to these days. I even mentioned about his 'floating', he wrote back that it was interesting to learn that perspective, because he'd been diagnosed as clinically depressed and (as a doctor) had been self medicating on the 'wrong' drugs for years in resistance to accepting his chemical imbalance :shock: ... there must be a drug that makes you 'float' :wink:

So he thinks his 'wisdom' that I admired was really just denial of many aspects of life, and that ironically he thought I was inspirational, in my 'boots and all' in life attitude, and how well I'd handled things. He says he's come back down to Earth a bit more, is correctly medicating himself and others now, whereas before he refused to be a 'normal' doctor and would only do short stints in places - hence his forever travelling.

I think my respect for him grew, rather than diminished any though, and I'm still glad he was there at those crossroads, even though I was living it all totally drug free, it never even occurred to me that he wasn't. But, I think he's probably much wiser now, even than I thought he was. :wink:

It's us, in our awareness, capacity and willingness that decides how 'wise' another is, and they may or may not agree. As for following them ppffffttt, they'll 'turn up' when you need them, and if they don't, then you don't need them :wink:
Our rights start deep within our humanity; they end where another's begin~~ SmileyJen
http://www.balancinginfluences.com

EnterZenFromThere

Post by EnterZenFromThere » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Jen!

That's an amazing story! Haha so incredible how precise things can align - the Intelligence organising it all must be pretty smart! I giggle to myself when I ask little things of the Present and then it happens - often in even more precise and amazing ways than I had asked - like I say "can you do this?!" and it winks and goes "not only that!" It's all so ease-y!
smiileyjen101 wrote:It's us, in our awareness, capacity and willingness that decides how 'wise' another is, and they may or may not agree. As for following them ppffffttt, they'll 'turn up' when you need them, and if they don't, then you don't need them
:P this quote is the crux for me. It is. So it is. And then it isn't. And so it isn't. (Incidentally, my friend saying "it is what it is" when I was tripping on hallucinogenics was one of the key moments in my life - haha! - I had always been hunting for a phrase that was always true. "Hold on a second - everything always is what it is..." "Even when it isn't what it is, then that is actually what it is..." I remember wrapping myself up in a blanket and letting that soak in. It sparked a whole new phase in my life where I felt the desire to go deeper into that sentence. This is before I had heard anyone ever talk about spurchooality or Presence or anything. It's funny looking back on it - seeing the threads coming together ;))

People come and go. Events come and go. Experience comes and goes. It's like a big chemical reaction. How my personality maintains any consistency through it all is really amazing! My whole body has recycled on a cellular level, my mind has evolved, my perceptions have altered, yet I-Am-Me! We-Are-Us! I am amazed by the Grace of my ego - my individual sense of self - my point of perception/experience.
smiileyjen101 wrote:So he thinks his 'wisdom' that I admired was really just denial of many aspects of life, and that ironically he thought I was inspirational, in my 'boots and all' in life attitude, and how well I'd handled things. He says he's come back down to Earth a bit more, is correctly medicating himself and others now, whereas before he refused to be a 'normal' doctor and would only do short stints in places - hence his forever travelling.
This reminds me of how my navigation has changed over the last few months. I used to move toward those who seemed powerful, who had this distance, who seemed detached from Life. I think that was because I was afraid of Life. I wanted to learn how to control and manipulate my environment so I could make it safe. I wanted to float off and not experience my fears. But, actually, I now see my fears as a great gift! They have helped me to learn and move beyond them! And now I can experience a fuller, more flowing experience of Life. I see the people who face their fears and dive into Life as my inspiration. My inspiration is so much more flexible! I pick and choose! Like a child in a sweet shop! A few months ago I had a vision, seen in my mind's eye, where I was sat on a park bench. On my right was a version of me made entirely from pure light. It was starring at me. Intensely. I was intimidated. But realised it was an intensity of Love, not to be feared. I held it's gaze. Knowing it was Me. And couldn't fathom how that incredible thing could be Me. But I came to accept that is must be. (It's hard to describe everything I experienced during this vision, intense emotions which were very physical - I wasn't just imagining - I was experiencing - a deep and rich emotional experience which included visuals as a way of guiding the experience in a way I could understand). I feel quite emotional now just thinking about it. It's a nice reminder of what I am in a Greater sense - the beauty of that. On my left was another human me. But it wasn't how I am now. It was an ideal human, personality, me. A way I would be without fear. Relaxed, and confident, and ease-y. Somehow I knew that the Higher Me was creating this ideal human me. That was a few months ago. Reflecting on that, and looking at myself now in my human personality, I see that I either am, or am nearly, that ideal me. I went to a scientific conference last week to present (;)) a study I'm currently writing up. While there I realised I was going through the optimal challenging situation for me. I had recently recovered from a serious doubt of dizziness triggered by social events and it was still lingering. I now had to interact with many people in a casual way, and also be professional and present my work in an environment that was totally alien to me. All my biggest fears. Yet, it was ease-y. It was a joy! Even the fears that arose were encased and permeated by joy! And they dissolved. I had nervous energy, but it wasn't unpleasant. It fueled me to talk with my fellow presenters and engage with them in a way to calm us all. My talk was a resounding success. With people stopping me in the street to comment on how much they had enjoyed it and 2 famous names in the field saying that my talk was the best of our session - bearing in mind that they had both presented and are leading figures whereas I am a pre-PhD research assistant! Haha! A part of me says "how have I become what I always wanted to be?" but another part ignores all that and drops all chatter and psychological defense moving toward more and more experience and creation.

I seem to have gone off on a massive tangent there and have completely forgotten the point I was trying to make :P

Well, while I'm going off-road I may as well just unload something else that has been on my mind since last night. I have been communicating with my Higher Self and we decided it needed a name so together (human me and higher me) decided to call Her I-Am-Me (it has a particular pronunciation I don't know how to describe here - it sounds Japanese). I've always felt that we are one and the same, the Higher and the Human. But there has been a sense of distance. As if it is necessary for this time for me to perceive us as separate so that dialogue can be established. But, last night, perhaps as a result of me diving into this latest challenge of presenting my study, she just said "We Are Us". Meaning, there is no dialogue needed. There is no separation. There is no I-Am-Me and Human Jack. Just, We Are Us. My experience of that sentence is profound. I don't have the words for it. We Are Us. It's like everything falls away and nothing else is needed. Not in a passive, no energy way. But in an active, flowing, loving, fountain of Life way. We Are Us, in our nudity - constrictionless. There is such ease in that.

I hope this hasn't side tracked the thread too much. Thank you for being the recipient of this expression. I find it much more productive to put these words out into the public sphere. I get the feeling my place is there, to some extent. To be a public voice for this, in whatever way that emerges.

Love Musings,

Jack