Dealing With Real Pain in the Body - or Head

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Dealing With Real Pain in the Body - or Head

Postby Clare » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:11 pm

I was wondering if I should put this in Barbara's thread about not getting to sleep, since I haven't had a peaceful night's sleep in a week or so, but I so far have no solutions, so I thought I'd make a new thread.

I have recently been visited by pain - actually P.A.I.N. It's quite funny that I have just reached a stage of spiritual growth, and this growth spurt seems to have spurted my Wisdom teeth! - at age 39! Thing is one of them is growing into the nerve of the other tooth. Through various other bungles at the dentist with bad and treatment that worsened the siutation(that I just tried to list and deleted; it's a long and gory story) and a lot of strange happenings that left me repeatedly without any helpful treatment, I have spent the past week trying to crawl up walls and doing lots of crying.

A couple of times I get a handle on it and with either energy cards or healing, but ..I have a tooth pressing increasingly into a nerve. That's as non negotiable as a broken limb.

I've been kind of denigrated to taking loads of painkillers. Far too many. And drinking.

So the question. How do I put the practice of presence into this situation? I find myself living hour to hour on painkillers, frightened the pain will be too much and I'll run out of my daily quota (forward thinking). There are times when I get desperate, angry, afraid of what might have to be done to me(wisdom teeth surgery at my age! Yikes! bad news!), victimised by the pain, wondering what I have done to deserve this. It has taken me out of my body and totally into my head - and just as I was making headway :x

Also, can anyone help me with the symbology, and maybe help me get a grip on this...no hold on...let's just make that help me get a grip. Or what do I need to let go of? Or what?

I find writing on the Internet soothes me, by the way. Just as I was getting away from that.

I suppose the good news is now I'll be incredibly wise and wil be able to soon answer all of these questions whilst stroking my Solomonic beard. Ahhh, yes.

Thanks everyone
Clare in a muzzy haze of painkiller.
Clare

Postby heidi » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:50 pm

I had left the computer, and this just popped in from on high. Symbolically, you need to let go of conventional wisdom - extract the tooth, and move on to a new paradigm of wisdom. It feels like you're hanging onto something that needs to go, something that is causing you pain on a couple of levels.

I may be all wet, but this is what comes to me from the empty place - ha ha, the place where your tooth won't be anymore. Off to chart the course of a wise old horsheshoe crab.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby summer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:56 pm

Dear Clare,
you poor dear. :( A toothache has to be one of the worst pains that I know of. If the wisdom tooth is growing into the nerve.....OUCH.
It sounds like you need to have the tooth removed. What does the dentist recommend?
summer

Postby barbarasher » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:52 am

Yeah pain is not fun. I sympathize.

The first second and third course of action is to take action, like Clare and Heidi said. That is what makes things happen in the world.

Now about you when your stuck and can't yet take action or there is none that is working (like the middle of the night, unless you find an all night dentist place which I did once).

I find that when in pain I am holding my breath a lot. I don't know why, but maybe the mind kind of thinks maybe I won't feel it if I hold my breath and my muscles clenched tight enough.

So first breath, slowly in and out, there are a million ways and counts of how many in and how many out, but become conscious of your breath. Maybe Lamaze (breathing exercises to use when giving birth) had something there.

I also find that I have to adjust my Geiger counter of what is considered normal. Meaning stop railing against it (until action can be taken). Say this is normal now, this is, this is part of me now. It is OK. Stop expecting it to not hurt, stop fighting it.

Then go get a strangle hold on a dentist's throat until he/she does something about it.
barbarasher

Postby Clare » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks to you three so much for these replies.

Well, there's been a bit of a turn of events. Around mid evening last night there was a tangible shift of the unruptured wisdom tooth inside my jaw. Fpr a couple of hours I could literlaly feel it moving. Then, suddenly, the pain stopped. It just...stopped. I have no more pain apart from a slight senstivity in the filled cavity, nothing more.

I've no idea if it was prayer, or the wonderful healing sent, or the angels I had asked and asked to help, or something more practical like my tooth simply couldnt get a pathway out that way so changed around. Whatever it was - and thank you so so much to anyone who sent energy or prayed or whatever - it's gone.

What's odd is that I was all ready to go to an emergency tooth hospital, and I bet they would have either operated to take the wisdom tooth out or given me a root canal - or both. What's even more odd is that I kept getting pandered off by the dentists, and for some bizarre reason my husband kept refusing to take me to the hospital. We had argued because I thought hewas being so uncaring. When I questioned him, he just kept saying "I just don't think it's right, that's all, they'll just butcher it. Wait until Tuesday and see your dentist again" (my dentist was on a training course until Tuesday)

Well, it looks as if that was a good intuitive hit. It was odd to see him looking so guilty for refusing, but still, very unnaturally for him,adamantly refusing to take me (it's a long way out in the sticks and me being a townie, I've never learned to drive).

So it seemsa little in retrospect to reply now. But Heidi, I know you are right. There is so much self sabotage in me. It is time to drop the things that don't work.

Summer, your caring brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much. I'm so busy trying to take resposibility, I forget to simply be a kind to myself. It was a long and complicated process but I was faced with either a root canal, or an operation (with awaiting list unless absolute emergency) to cut the wisdom tooth out of my jaw. They haven't broken through the gum yet, you see. This at my age has many complications and could have caused what is called a 'dry socket' which is bascailly a hole in the jaw that never heals. It was not a good prospect, but I would have done it if I had had to.

Barbara, your suggestions were great, and in fact over the time I was in pain I did start to do that naturally, especially the acceptance. I found I went through phases of being able to just be with it, and other times of complete rebellion, and they were always the most truamatic. That fight to get away from the pain - ughh. You are right, it'sa futile battle and makes things worse.

I think what I got out of it was much much more compassion for people who live with physical pain. It really taught me how fortunate I am not to have to go through that all the time. I am grateful for my health, and I know now that I am even more motivated to maintain it. Although I also have learned to understand that sometimes pain is inevitable. It's our response to it that defines whether it will be suffering.

Thanks for your kind words.
Love, Clare
Clare

Postby summer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:30 pm

Phew! I am so glad to hear that you are not in pain anymore.
I am breathing a big sigh of relief with you :)

I am one of those people who rarely go to the doctor. And sometimes when I am in pain I wonder if I am just being stubborn, or smart?
There is often a very thin line between the two.
But sure enough, in the middle of the crisis, something gives. And just as you say, I am glad that I didn't rush into the emergency ward.

You are a tough cookie Clare, and I am happy to hear that you are feeling so much better :)
summer

Return to Questions