New earth

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
xpansion

New earth

Post by xpansion » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:02 pm

I have been reading 'the new earth' and enjoying it. ET talks about how material stuff, objects, wealth become ways with which the ego identifies etc. I get this because it's not hard to see it all around and of course I do it myself. However, no offense to ET but I struggle to listen to this when it's coming from someone who probably has millions of dollars in the bank from selling 'stuff'. He also charges a lot of money to attend his talks. I recently saw one advertised and could not afford to go. Even the website is expensive in comparison to some other similar new agey type sites. My question is this, if he believes in what he preaches then why does he need to make so much money from it? Jesus and Buddha didn't charge for their services so why does ET? Does he ever do free talks or give books away? No matter how many times I hear people say money doesn't make you happy I still would prefer to have it than not. I'd prefer to be happy but If I'm going to be miserable then I d rather be miserable and rich.

epiphany55

Re: New earth

Post by epiphany55 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:48 am

We don't know where ET spends all his money, but frankly I couldn't care less how much money he makes.

You can access his wisdom for free using many sources on the internet. You don't need to go to one of his talks to fully understand his philosophy. People who choose to go and pay the entry fee do so because they believe it to be worth it. Yes, it would be nice if he could do everything for free, but there are plenty of spiritual teachers who do offer a lot for free. It's simply supply and demand and I'm sure ET will spend his wealth on more productive things than most corporations and governments!

And I agree, I'd rather have money than not. Not to spend on "stuff", but on experiences. For example, seeing the world costs a lot in plane fares alone. It's also nice to have a home that you feel secure and comfortable in, perhaps with some land to cultivate. Money does help to lay the foundations for a secure, rich and independent life.
Thought is the object, not the essence, of consciousness.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:13 am

xpansion wrote: My question is this, if he believes in what he preaches then why does he need to make so much money from it? Jesus and Buddha didn't charge for their services so why does ET?
Hi xpansion,
This is where many go wrong. Instead of following Eckhart's teachings (pointers), they focus on Eckhart, the person, himself. I say, if his pointers resonate with you then continue to follow him. His teachings are about Awakening to your true nature and has got nothing to do about him, the person. The messenger that delivers the message is not important, instead put your attention on the message instead.

.....so if his teachings (pointers) resonate with you then then continue to do so regardless how he ( Eckhart) chooses to live his life.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:27 am

It's not about the wealth. It's about the identification that is a problem. Consider the distinction.

Abundance is natural. Judging it as wrong only creates a sense of condemnation. Who wants to live with that kind of perception as part of their experience only to create a sense of identification with the condemnation? Life has so much more to offer that brings peace and joy. There are better places to focus one's attention.

WW

xpansion

Post by xpansion » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:07 am

No I think you're all skirting around the issue. Surely if you're free of ego identification then you wouldn't care to have millions of dollars. It seems to be the same message with many of these types of self proclaimed gurus/teachers. Everyone remembers what happened with the Rajneesh. I personally dont just believe everything blindly otherwise I may as well follow a religion. I dont agree with the person above who says its "about the message and not the messenger". It definitely has to be about both. If a drinker starts preaching to me about how i should give up smoking well Im not going to listen. Same can be said about these sorts of teachings. If someone is preaching to me about how I shouldn't identify with material wealth and possessions but they themselves are making squillions, live in massive houses and drive expensive cars etc then I find it difficult to take seriously.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:12 am

So, it looks to me that you have created an image of how a guru/teacher should behave and live their lives in order to take them seriously. Good luck with that.
Again, I say, its about the message and not the messenger.

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:22 am

Webwanderer wrote:It's not about the wealth. It's about the identification that is a problem. Consider the distinction.
Well said WW. It is also about 'attachment', you can be rich but not attached to being rich, then where is the problem ? ... and of course 'attachment' too is a consequence of 'identification' ...

Also one has to see if there is an intention, a 'will' to become rich: do you become rich because you 'worked hard' for it ? or do you become rich because wealth and abundance came to you naturally, without efforts, as seems to be the case with Eckhart Tolle ?
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)