That little voice in your head...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

That little voice in your head...

Postby Clouded » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Does it ever quiet down once you train yourself to be in the moment? Or does it always chatter to the same frequeny and you just have to learn to perceive it as background noise? Sometimes I talk in my mind to my brain and ask it to stop bombarding me with thoughts because it is giving me a headache. I obsess a lot about my future lately and I think it has to do with how my brain is wired, and I am ALWAYS playing the victim and somehow those tragic stories about my future are satisfying to me and they convine me to not want to take action and do something to not fullfill those stories. Emotions come very easily to me and they can intensify very quickly which causes me to explode with anger, sadness, despair, anxiety, etc and it's a lot to handle and it depletes me of my energy. I'm going to give pills another try because will power alone to be in the present moment doesn't make me feel better for a long duration. I want to do nothing, yet I want to something because I don't want to live my life like this because it is very unfullfilling and boring to me. I don't know what I want, but I want it to be different from now, which is not living in the present moment. I feel like I use my spirituality as a crutch, I use it to justify why I have no plans to change my path in life; if everything is perfect just the way it is, why should I take the initiative to change??? I don't have any determination to change. I want to stop pitying myself, but I can't. I feel like I dug myself too deep into my own misery and now I can't get out.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Re: That little voice in your head...

Postby Ralph » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm not sure if this will make any sense to you but i'll give it a shot.
Can you see that the one that just wrote that post talking about itself is itself the little voice in the head, .... can you catch this one ? because this one is what is causing all the problems. Some call this the first 'I' thought.
Ralph

Postby lmp » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:06 am

If you wish to pick just 1 of your feelings, in order to limit the conversation into something that we are actually able to examine carefully, we could discuss why that particular feeling comes, what it is, what are our reactions to it, how we strengthen or fight that feeling, etc.
lmp

Postby rachMiel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 am

Ralph wrote:Can you see that the one that just wrote that post talking about itself is itself the little voice in the head, .... can you catch this one ?

Good insight.

Can we see that just about everything that arises in our minds is either a product of that little voice ... or is grabbed by the little voice and interpreted, spun into a me-centered story?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby evelynd » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:42 am

Yes it will stop. Just keep going. Try not to use will power, as you have found it does not work. Use acceptance and surrender. Keep taking your meds. Reread the Power of Now. When your mind gets away from you tell it to “Stop It!" and concentrate on the small space of quiet that happens. I understand where you are as I have been there. Be kind to your self.
evelynd

Postby Onceler » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:13 am

I'm not sure if the voice stops so much as loses it's potency over time. I can stop the voice fairly easily in meditation or a quick moment's contemplation, but I'm actually not that interested in having the voice stop, as thoughts just dont bother me as much as they used to and, frankly, I think stillness is kind of boring without the movement of the mind.....I can let them run their course without paying much attention. If I get caught in a negative pattern, I'll feel the intensity of the thoughts, then deliberately shift my attention to something else, like my breathing. I will sometimes breath the opposite of the negative thoughts like a prayer, but not really, or like an affirmation, but not exactly. Just making a different choice. Then life can pull me in another direction or absorb my attention. It gets easier once you feel the essence of who you are....the ultimate point of contrast for all phenomena.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 am

rachMiel wrote:
Can we see that just about everything that arises in our minds is either a product of that little voice ... or is grabbed by the little voice and interpreted, spun into a me-centered story?

Not always...in moments of clarity, the little voice is seen for what it is :idea:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Clouded » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:12 am

Thank you everyone for all the replies! Yes, I realize that everything I think and thus write here on this forum is a product of that little voice. I understand what presence and ego are, I've seen numerous videos of Eckhart Tolle and others' satsangs, I read many books that were recommended to me by members here, I get it, but I just can't efficiently put it into practice. I don't know if it's due to a lack of discipline to practice presence every time I remind myself that I am not in the Now, or because I believe that I can't change my habits. I am addicted to entertaining myself with my stories, my thoughts are repetitive and they get me nowhere but I can spend hours ruminating over the same things until I get a headache and then I start worrying that I might get a brain aneurysm from feeling so tense that I finally decide to put an end to the complusive storytelling and meditate to avoid getting a panic attack. Lately I've been thinking that I would be homeless and I'd be sitting on the border of a messy sidewalk with a sign that says "nobody wants to hire me and I need to eat" and people would walk past me as if I wasn't worthy enough to be acknowledged and no one would think about giving me a single penny. I would be kicked out by the police for loitering the city with my presence and be spit on for being useless to society. I would then try opening doors for the people getting out of the metro station in hopes that I would be paid for my service and then the people who knew me in school would pass by, all successful in the game of life and wonder how the hell did I stoop this low. I can see this happening, I can see myself living in the streets rather than living in a house that I purchased myself and that depresses me. I can see myself ending in a nut house, I can see myself ending in the hospital with a fatal illness. Just today I was at a foot court and had a panic attack because my first bite from a hamburger felt weird in my throat and I worried that I was going to choke to my death and I created this dramatic scenario where everyone would stare at me in schock while I was struggling to breath. My brain is ruining my life, I don't blame myself, it's not my fault that I am hyper aware of what is going on both externally and internally, it's not my fault that I jump to conclusions and catastrophize situations and believe them instantly and it's not my fault that I am such a negative thinker. I am just doing my best with what I am experiencing, but the drama that I create is overwhelming.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Phil2 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:07 am

Clouded wrote: I feel like I use my spirituality as a crutch, I use it to justify why I have no plans to change my path in life; if everything is perfect just the way it is, why should I take the initiative to change??? I don't have any determination to change. I want to stop pitying myself, but I can't. I feel like I dug myself too deep into my own misery and now I can't get out.

What about your 'feng shui' project Clouded ? Did you clean your room finally ?

??

Maybe you should consider to 'walk the talk' now ?
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby rachMiel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:29 pm

dijmart wrote:...in moments of clarity, the little voice is seen for what it is :idea:

Which is ... ?

I assume you would say that it is awareness that sees the little voice for what it is. Could it be that awareness and the little voice arise from the same source ... the body-mind? Could it be that awareness is the intelligent parent/overseer component of the mind, and the little voice the naive clueless child?

In channeling (yes, I used to do it! ;-) ) there is always the question:

Am I channeling a higher power/individual ... Universal Consciousness or a "spirit" with access to UC? Or am I channeling MY higher power = the intelligent overseer component of my particular mind?
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:23 pm

rachMiel wrote:
dijmart wrote:...in moments of clarity, the little voice is seen for what it is :idea:

Which is ... ?

The "me", the conditioned mind/emotional "patterns" and behaviors based on memory.

I assume you would say that it is awareness that sees the little voice for what it is.

You would be assuming correctly. :)

Could it be that awareness and the little voice arise from the same source ... the body-mind? Could it be that awareness is the intelligent parent/overseer component of the mind, and the little voice the naive clueless child?

This reminds me of our last discussion and I can't convince you or anyone else that it is or isn't. However, as I see it, every-thing is awareness so, in a sense you're right, except you're limiting awareness to the body/mind, where as I see it, the body/mind is within awareness, as are all objects and manifested phenomena.

In channeling (yes, I used to do it! ;-) ) there is always the question:

Am I channeling a higher power/individual ... Universal Consciousness or a "spirit" with access to UC? Or am I channeling MY higher power = the intelligent overseer component of my particular mind?

Huh, I would have thought it was too woo woo for you :wink: Anyways, yes, channeling is "past tense" for me too, as I know longer have a desire and was losing the ability anyways. However, during that time period (many moons ago- prior to Tolle) I was told things I could have never known from my limited perspective, most was verifiable, until the end, when I stopped doing it and info wasn't coming through like it did before. I also saw visions of details of the inside of homes with specific details, that I had never been to or seen before or after. The message was for someone else, not me and they also verified this information. So, how could I have known this from "my" mind?
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:42 pm

dijmart wrote:
Could it be that awareness and the little voice arise from the same source ... the body-mind? Could it be that awareness is the intelligent parent/overseer component of the mind, and the little voice the naive clueless child?

... as I see it, every-thing is awareness so, in a sense you're right, except you're limiting awareness to the body/mind, where as I see it, the body/mind is within awareness, as are all objects and manifested phenomena.

So awareness, as you see it, "contains" all particular minds, without being dependent on these particular minds? In other words, if all particular minds ceased to exist, awareness would continue to exist?
Huh, I would have thought it was too woo woo for you :wink:

I did it in my callow spiritual-experience-hungry youth. ;-)
Anyways, yes, channeling is "past tense" for me too, as I know longer have a desire and was losing the ability anyways. However, during that time period (many moons ago- prior to Tolle) I was told things I could have never known from my limited perspective, most was verifiable, until the end, when I stopped doing it and info wasn't coming through like it did before. I also saw visions of details of the inside of homes with specific details, that I had never been to or seen before or after. The message was for someone else, not me and they also verified this information. So, how could I have known this from "my" mind?

I don't know. How can a clairvoyant see things beyond their sensory boundaries ... or the boundaries of linear time? It's all speculation, right? It might seem like a good bet to assume that there is a universal all-inclusive timeless consciousness that certain people can access, catch glimpses from. The Akashic Records, the morphogenetic field, that kind of thing. But imo the words "seem" and "assume" are key. We don't know, cannot know. So we either speculate (again: great fun!) ... or we relax into un-knowing ... or yo-yo back and forth like a frickin' pendulum (I speak from experience).
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:42 pm

rachMiel wrote:
dijmart wrote:... as I see it, every-thing is awareness so, in a sense you're right, except you're limiting awareness to the body/mind, where as I see it, the body/mind is within awareness, as are all objects and manifested phenomena.

So awareness, as you see it, "contains" all particular minds, without being dependent on these particular minds? In other words, if all particular minds ceased to exist, awareness would continue to exist?

Yes, yes and yes!!! As I see it, without awareness there would be no-thing in existence. Form is born out of formlessness. Awareness is permeated in/out of every-thing, down to the smallest particle/atom/chemical in existence. Every-thing as I see it is "alive". No-thing is solid, every-thing is moving and has energy, even if it looks as if it's not, therefore aware, but most likely not able to recognize it's awareness.

I did it in my callow spiritual-experience-hungry youth. ;-)

:wink:

So, how could I have known this from "my" mind?

I don't know. How can a clairvoyant see things beyond their sensory boundaries ... or the boundaries of linear time? It's all speculation, right? It might seem like a good bet to assume that there is a universal all-inclusive timeless consciousness that certain people can access, catch glimpses from. The Akashic Records, the morphogenetic field, that kind of thing. But imo the words "seem" and "assume" are key. We don't know, cannot know. So we either speculate (again: great fun!) ... or we relax into un-knowing ... or yo-yo back and forth like a frickin' pendulum (I speak from experience).

To me, it's either/or, either we are "completely separate" and one has nothing to do with the other, except our interactions of bumping around the universe or "we are connected" and all is one. If we are completely separate there is, no way I , you or anyone else could possibly channel with verifiable results, regarding info we could have not possibly known on our own or that's the way I see it. So, this is evidence enough for me. :)
dijmart

Postby rachMiel » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 pm

dijmart wrote:Every-thing as I see it is "alive". No-thing is solid, every-thing is moving and has energy, even if it looks as if it's not, therefore aware, but most likely not able to recognize it's awareness.

I see things similarly. :-) (Which doesn't "prove" anything except that we see things similarly, right?)

But one big difference is that I don't see the necessity for awareness to be something universally present that our minds are embedded in, emerge out of. As much as I love the idea of The Force (Empire Strikes Back is my favorite movie of all time/space!), I think of it as a beautiful story that might or might not be an accurate pointer to the real nature of stuff.

I have an easier time "believing in" an emergent theory of consciousness: that consciousness emerged, over eons, out of the initial Big Bang event, and that consciousness is created by the body-mind of the individual organism ... in connection with other organisms around it.
rachMiel

Postby dijmart » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:08 pm

rachMiel wrote:But one big difference is that I don't see the necessity for awareness to be something universally present that our minds are embedded in, emerge out of. As much as I love the idea of The Force (Empire Strikes Back is my favorite movie of all time/space!), I think of it as a beautiful story that might or might not be an accurate pointer to the real nature of stuff.

Ok, so what would convince you otherwise? (not saying I could either way)

I have an easier time "believing in" an emergent theory of consciousness: that consciousness emerged, over eons, out of the initial Big Bang event, and that consciousness is created by the body-mind of the individual organism ... in connection with other organisms around it.

Yes, this is easy to believe, because this is what science points to, correct?
dijmart

Next

Return to Questions