That little voice in your head...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Re: That little voice in your head...

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Clouded wrote: I could make myself look like a saint if I want to.

Right, you would do as most people, they wear a social mask and show a nice 'façade' of 'respectability' and conformism ... they are not 'real' ... they are 'split' personalities ... saying one thing and doing another, social hypocrisy ... this is why there are so many 'neurotic' persons with all kinds of mental problems like depressions, anxiety, obsessions, addictions etc ...

But you Clouded, are you ready to face truth about yourself ? or not ?

??
"What irritates us about others is an opportunity to learn on ourselves"
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Clouded wrote: It's a good thing that I am not seeking for approval or being praised here.

Yes very good, no freedom in this dependance on others opinons ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Clouded » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 pm

I already know the truth about myself but that doesn't stop the thoughts from rolling in. I don't spend 10 hours planning what I should write, I just spontaneously write down my thoughts at the moment and then I get called a capricious and irresponsible little girl.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Clouded wrote:I already know the truth about myself but that doesn't stop the thoughts from rolling in. I don't spend 10 hours planning what I should write, I just spontaneously write down my thoughts at the moment and then I get called a capricious and irresponsible little girl.

Don't take anything personally Clouded ... you like to cite Don Miguel Ruiz as your reference book but you don't like to apply his teachings to yourself ... this is a blatant contradiction ...

'Irresponsible' means that you blame others for your own problems, 'capricious' means that you want from others want you cannot afford to give to yourself ... those are facts derived from what you said, and not judgements Clouded ...

And btw I am not here to tell you what you want to hear, because this would not be the truth ...
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Clouded » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Clouded wrote:I already know the truth about myself but that doesn't stop the thoughts from rolling in. I don't spend 10 hours planning what I should write, I just spontaneously write down my thoughts at the moment and then I get called a capricious and irresponsible little girl.

Don't take anything personally Clouded ... you like to cite Don Miguel Ruiz as your reference book but you don't like to apply his teachings to yourself ... this is a blatant contradiction ...

'Irresponsible' means that you blame others for your own problems, 'capricious' means that you want from others want you cannot afford to give to yourself ... those are facts derived from what you said, and not judgements Clouded ...

And btw I am not here to tell you what you want to hear, because this would not be the truth ...
oh no no, I didn't really take it personally, I had almost no reaction to it when I first read it and what little emotion I had, it quickly faded away. It seems that we have different definitions of what a "fact" is. To me, a fact is something that is indisputable and can be proven again and again always with the same results. I wouldn't call any thought or (expression of thoughts) a fact because thoughts are temporary and are made to change. If you look back to former posts of mine, I did say that I stopped blaming anything outside of myself for my life situation, which is something that didn't last very long but nonetheless it's not a fact that I am irresponsible or capricious because there are moments in my life when I proved those facts to be wrong.
"If you want to know what your were like in the past, look at your body today. If you want to know what your body will be like in the future, look at your thoughts today." -Deepak
Clouded

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Clouded wrote: I did say that I stopped blaming anything outside of myself for my life situation, which is something that didn't last very long but nonetheless it's not a fact that I am irresponsible or capricious because there are moments in my life when I proved those facts to be wrong.

Did you notice that I did not say that you ARE capricious and irresponsible, just that you behave as such in this moment ... it is not a definitive statement, just a transient state of being ...

Clouded, do you see here how you behave as a capricious and irresponsible little girl ?
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Clouded » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Well I didn't catch that. It would have helped me understand you better if you wrote that I behaved like that "in the moment" or "right now" instead of "here".
Clouded

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Hey Clouded,

Question for you....

I already know the truth about myself but that doesn't stop the thoughts from rolling in.

I haven't really read the rest of this thread. Just perused through some of the posts. Can you be ok with the thoughts going on in your head? Meaning, even if you have the most cynical, negative thoughts. Can you make it ok that they are there? Should they not be there? What's the big deal if they are there? Are those thoughts not a part of you, while only good thoughts are a part of you?
Enlightened2B

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Clouded wrote:Well I didn't catch that. It would have helped me understand you better if you wrote that I behaved like that "in the moment" or "right now" instead of "here".

Yes maybe you are too quick to answer and do not pay enough attention ?

:lol:
(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Clouded » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Enlightened2B wrote:Hey Clouded,

Question for you....

I already know the truth about myself but that doesn't stop the thoughts from rolling in.

I haven't really read the rest of this thread. Just perused through some of the posts. Can you be ok with the thoughts going on in your head? Meaning, even if you have the most cynical, negative thoughts. Can you make it ok that they are there? Should they not be there? What's the big deal if they are there? Are those thoughts not a part of you, while only good thoughts are a part of you?

My mind is like velcro for the negative and teflon for the positive. I just quickly disregard good thoughts and entertain the negative ones, it's a habit of mine that is tough to break. It's just easier for me to identify and agree with self destructive thoughts. I don't have many good things to say about myself because I don't believe those thoughts.
Clouded

Postby Clouded » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Phil2 wrote:
Clouded wrote:Well I didn't catch that. It would have helped me understand you better if you wrote that I behaved like that "in the moment" or "right now" instead of "here".

Yes maybe you are too quick to answer and do not pay enough attention ?

Well I'm not graded here so I'm not concerned and terrified about not paying enough attention. And hasn't something like that ever occurred to you? Or did you always get a clear understanding of what another person is trying to say on the internet? Laugh all you want.
Clouded

Postby Phil2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Clouded wrote:I just quickly disregard good thoughts and entertain the negative ones, it's a habit of mine that is tough to break. It's just easier for me to identify and agree with self destructive thoughts. I don't have many good things to say about myself because I don't believe those thoughts.

So why do you believe (and feed) your negative thoughts then ?

Why believe what thought says at all ?

??

As mooji said "99 % of what thought says is rubbish ... and 1 % is ... also rubbish"

(Carl Jung)
Phil2

Postby Onceler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Clouded wrote:
Enlightened2B wrote:Hey Clouded,

Question for you....

My mind is like velcro for the negative and teflon for the positive. I just quickly disregard good thoughts and entertain the negative ones, it's a habit of mine that is tough to break. It's just easier for me to identify and agree with self destructive thoughts. I don't have many good things to say about myself because I don't believe those thoughts.

I'm the same way. I'm learning to take the distilled opposite of the negative thought and say it in my mind as a mantra whenever these thought come up. I.e. 'My knee is screwed up, I'll never be able to run again.' Flipped to: 'My knee is healing'. I keep repeating the opposite.....if it's as true or more true. Sometimes I have to reassemble it, when I lose the opposite thought.

Be inspired by George's charachter on Seinfeld. He started to do the opposite of everything he ever did because he always did the wrong thing, so the opposite must be right!
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Enlightened2B » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:47 pm

Onceler wrote:Be inspired by George's charachter on Seinfeld. He started to do the opposite of everything he ever did because he always did the wrong thing, so the opposite must be right!

My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.
Enlightened2B

Postby Onceler » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:58 am

Enlightened2B wrote:
Onceler wrote:Be inspired by George's charachter on Seinfeld. He started to do the opposite of everything he ever did because he always did the wrong thing, so the opposite must be right!

My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.

Right!
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

PreviousNext

Return to Questions